Prospect Info: Patrik Nemeth

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
If Goligoski has value he would've been dealt already. I'm not sipping the FSSW kool-aid anymore.

No GM in their right mind would honestly look at his play over the past couple of seasons and think "Hey, I sure would like to add what this guy brings to my team!" Or if they do, it's for a 7th + 50% salary retained.

The guy will NEVER blossom in Dallas, and is the greatest case for change of scenery I've ever seen. Can't trade him, don't want to play, so buy his ass out.

If Gags and Nill are actually serious about improving the team, then a buyout is an incredibly attractive option for somebody that bad. They've got two that they can use. Suffer with the product on ice and ticket sales, or gain some cap space and pay a ****** player off?

xZ3wUqj.gif

Can we just rename this the "defense" discussion thread?

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I see a lot of talk about trading away guys like Goligoski and Daley, and in a vacuum I'm fine with it. The issue here is that we have no replacements for these defensemen. Goligoski plays so much because he does something no one else on this team can do, even if he is horrible at defense and nothing special at moving the puck he's still the least horrible option.

That's how bad this team's defensive issue is, even if you want to trade these guys away there is no one to replace them with immediately that won't make us worse. Oleksiak doesn't seem to have taken a huge jump, and while guys like Nemeth and Jokipakka are solid prospects, they might just not be ready yet. When you bring these guys up you face stunting their development and ruining their confidence.

When we talk about why guy X or guy Y on defense hasn't been traded, it's because there's no one to move up in their spot. 40 point defensemen do not grow on trees, and they do have value. Aaron freaking Rome is your 6th defenseman, below him are several guys who may surely be better than him one day, but for whatever reason these guys aren't getting called up or played. I don't think Robidas gets traded away if he doesn't request a trade. Until the Stars do decide to sign a guy like Fayne and feel that Nemeth is ready for regular duty you are going to see Goligoski on this roster.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
See I don't feel the need to trade Goligoski if you're able to develop or sign someone to fit in ahead of him. It's been acknowledged that he is not a defenseman you want eating up the most minutes every night but if you were able to use him in the second pairing he slots in nicely.

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
I see a lot of talk about trading away guys like Goligoski and Daley, and in a vacuum I'm fine with it. The issue here is that we have no replacements for these defensemen. Goligoski plays so much because he does something no one else on this team can do, even if he is horrible at defense and nothing special at moving the puck he's still the least horrible option.

That's how bad this team's defensive issue is, even if you want to trade these guys away there is no one to replace them with immediately that won't make us worse. Oleksiak doesn't seem to have taken a huge jump, and while guys like Nemeth and Jokipakka are solid prospects, they might just not be ready yet. When you bring these guys up you face stunting their development and ruining their confidence.

When we talk about why guy X or guy Y on defense hasn't been traded, it's because there's no one to move up in their spot. 40 point defensemen do not grow on trees, and they do have value. Aaron freaking Rome is your 6th defenseman, below him are several guys who may surely be better than him one day, but for whatever reason these guys aren't getting called up or played. I don't think Robidas gets traded away if he doesn't request a trade. Until the Stars do decide to sign a guy like Fayne and feel that Nemeth is ready for regular duty you are going to see Goligoski on this roster.

Disagree. It was made pretty clear over the summer that Nemeth had a real shot of being on the team this season had it not been for his last few injuries. Agreed on Jokipakka though. Give him another year or two.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
If you could put his brain in Oleksiak's body, we'd have a guaranteed top pairing guy. He has the confidence and killer instinct that Jamie seems to lack. He's held back mainly by the fact that he seems injury prone.

This is something I am curious about. Is there any chance that as he gains more experience (or confidence?) in the pros Oleksiak could gain that "killer instinct" that everyone wants to see of him?

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
This is something I am curious about. Is there any chance that as he gains more experience (or confidence?) in the pros Oleksiak could gain that "killer instinct" that everyone wants to see of him?

Chara didn't develop his mean streak until he was in his mid 20s for comparison. Fully believe it could happen then with Ole' too.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Chara didn't develop his mean streak until he was in his mid 20s for comparison. Fully believe it could happen then with Ole' too.

Chara is also the exception not the rule on defensemen. Lots of guys never develop that killer instinct and thus never become what they could be. Oleksiak is hardly a finished product but the truth is he could be "bad" Tyler Myers as much as he could be good Jay Bouwmeester. There's a ton of distance between his possible floor and ceiling.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
It's not happening man. He's not my favorite Star but management and the coaching staff like him enough that he's not going to get bought out. I would bet every penny I have on that.

aloonda*

goose won't be bought out--he can be traded if they want rid of him, traded for a pick or something--at least get some value out of him

anyhow

while some young defenders are more aggressive with the physical part of the game naturally, sometimes bigger (taller) guys like oleksiak take some time growing into their bodies to be coordinated and comfortable in directing that mass THROUGH someone

Val is just now trying to awkwardly lay some hits for example

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
goose won't be bought out--he can be traded if they want rid of him, traded for a pick or something--at least get some value out of him

anyhow

while some young defenders are more aggressive with the physical part of the game naturally, sometimes bigger (taller) guys like oleksiak take some time growing into their bodies to be coordinated and comfortable in directing that mass THROUGH someone

Val is just now trying to awkwardly lay some hits for example

Oleksiak is *can* hit and has with no problem or awkwardness or anything. The fact of the matter is that it's not part of his game. And to be perfectly honest with you, I have no problem with this. What Oleksiak does best with his size is taking advantage of his reach.

aloonda*

Oleksiak is *can* hit and has with no problem or awkwardness or anything. The fact of the matter is that it's not part of his game. And to be perfectly honest with you, I have no problem with this. What Oleksiak does best with his size is taking advantage of his reach.

im good with that too
wouldn't mind him or anyone else to crush some folks sometimes though
;)

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
I've seen him crush guys and yes it is awesome. Hell we've seen him just push out with his arm and guys go flying. He's not weak or anything. Like I said, it's not part of his game.

What's more impressive is when you see him just skate around guys with the puck. We've seen him pull some moves in the neutral zone that left behind opponents with broken ankles.

aloonda*

I've seen him crush guys and yes it is awesome. Hell we've seen him just push out with his arm and guys go flying. He's not weak or anything. Like I said, it's not part of his game.

What's more impressive is when you see him just skate around guys with the puck. We've seen him pull some moves in the neutral zone that left behind opponents with broken ankles.

I have his jersey for a reason :yo:

MetalGodAOD*

This entire thread is about to get moved to Texas Stars discussion since it hasn't been about Nemeth since a few posts in. Keep it OT boys!

haf

Mar 3, 2008
sweet. now someone start a new patrick nemeth thread so we can talk about gologoski some more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad