Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - MOD WARNING IN OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The key to great skating is still to have a very solid amount of explosive power in the legs. Any kind of figure skating training is next to useless unless you have trained your muscles to the condition where you have a great basis of getting quickly powerful acceleration to your skating. If you don’t have that kind of power in your legs compared to your body mass, you will never be a quick and great skater, no matter how much you do figure skating training.

Laine missed three years ago his whole off season because of his knee operation, and he was still recovering from that for about half a year, so his legs became seriously weaker than they were before that. He has had a lot to do to get even to the level that he was before his knee injury, and he is not even close to being where he will be at some point in the future with his explosive leg strength and stamina. This is what his trainer has said also clearly. He will not have the same kind situation physically, as Rantanen had after three years of training, because Rantanen never had to recover from such a nasty knee injury, that would have taken over half a year away from his physical training. Laine will be coming probably one off season behind Rantanen in his physical development, if he will even ever match that.

There is also a reason why Barkov and Granlund started their figure skating trainings only after 3 and 4 off seasons of hard for their leg muscles first. That was not just by accident, but there was the clear plan of getting their explosive leg muscles and stamina to the level that they needed to get them to have enough explosive power for very good skating. Only after that they started with the figure skating to help just polish a bit their skating. You really seem to seriously believe that the figure skating training made them so much better skaters. I can tell you that you are wrong with that, if you really believe that way. It only helped them polish their agility and make their skating a bit more economical. The years of hard work to get enough of raw explosive power and stamina to their legs was an absolute necessity to take well care of first.

Unfortunately Laine has had his clear setback three years ago, so I unfortunately see him being one efficient off season behind the peers of his age. But skillwise he is really second to none, and that is exactly why he has already accomplished 44 goals and 70 points in his 19 year old season, even when he has been physically way behind the other comparable young talents.
Amazing what Laine has been able to accomplish with his knee problems. I imagine for many other hockey players it would have been a case where people would be talking about the young athlete had so much potential it was a pity he had a career ending injury. Yet, not only did it not stop him from making the NHL he was still drafted 2nd overall.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Amazing what Laine has been able to accomplish with his knee problems. I imagine for many other hockey players it would have been a case where people would be talking about the young athlete had so much potential it was a pity he had a career ending injury. Yet, not only did it not stop him from making the NHL he was still drafted 2nd overall.
The good thing is of course that the operation was very successful, and he had only minor knee problem two years ago, that affected only shortly his off season training in the beginning. But three years ago he really missed his whole off season, which was very unfortunate. Great that it seems that he hasn’t had any knee problems for the last two years now. Better knock on wood though...

Last edited:

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Haha, I mean it's not the prettiest thing, but I LOVE the zero ****s given :laugh:
would've been disappointing if he had caved in and shaved it before the end of season

Really hating this. I accidentally mentioned to the wife that Laine will shave after the season. Now I have to shave also (she calls it face-cactus).

Reactions: Halberdier

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The good thing is of course that the operation was very successful, and he had only minor knee problem two years ago, that affected only shortly his off season training in the dbeginning. But three years ago he really missed his whole off season, which was very unfortunate. Great that it seems that he hasn’t had any knee problems for the last two years now. Better knock on wood though...
Do you think it's something that can come back and bite the Jets in the ass by coming back?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
laine25018HH_503_nh.png

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Do you think it's something that can come back and bite the Jets in the ass by coming back?
I of course very much hope for that to never happen. But what I do know about knee injuries is that they can be very nasty for an athlete’s career. Probably only spine or neck injuries can often be even worse. I just hope he will not hurt again that same knee, which was operated three years ago. Also I hope that he will still know the right amount of training that will not at least cause any extra burden for knees and wear them out in a way that will lead easier to those injuries to occur. But I’m pretty sure that Rautala has taken this very carefully with Laine. I saw last off season one interview with Laine where he said shortly something similar to that.

Last edited:

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
Finnish tabloids told that there were so many reporters waiting in front of his barber shop that he left and went sonewhere else

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Well, Winnipeg.

You got yourself a young superstar o' hockey on your side for once.

So give him all the money he want.

Nothing more and nothing less.

Patrik Laine ~barely 20 years of legal age - and he already gives that old dog Alexander Ovetchkin a real run for his money.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
You have to love Google Translate some times ( from above article):

Unlike previous data, on Thursday, the NHL star
Patrik Laine, who arrived in Finland, did not appear
on his credit card to cut off his famous coat.

In front of the hairdressing salon in Tampere, Laukontori
waited for a crowd of media representatives and even
three disco fans.

beautiful indeed, wonder if those disco fans were there to protest against the shaving

Reactions: Ares

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, Winnipeg.

You got yourself a young superstar o' hockey on your side for once.

So give him all the money he want.

Nothing more and nothing less.

Patrik Laine ~barely 20 years of legal age - and he already gives that old dog Alexander Ovetchkin a real run for his money.
We got lots of players to sign and a cap to manage. I'm kind of hoping Chevy negotiates some team friendly deals to keep the young core together. Give a player all the money he wants, shouldn't be a GM's opening stance ;)

Whodey204

Oct 2, 2017
Earlier in this thread some people were talking about Laine's 5 on 5 goal difference in a positive light. Where can I find these kinds of stats? Can someone post this stat for the team? Curious where Laine ranks compared to the rest of the team.

I love Patty, but sometimes he can be frustrating to watch... However, at the end of the day 5 on 5 goal difference should be a great indicator of player performance. Perhaps the eye test is failing me - outside of the obvious Laine rockets which happen fairly frequently :)

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Earlier in this thread some people were talking about Laine's 5 on 5 goal difference in a positive light. Where can I find these kinds of stats? Can someone post this stat for the team? Curious where Laine ranks compared to the rest of the team.

I love Patty, but sometimes he can be frustrating to watch... However, at the end of the day 5 on 5 goal difference should be a great indicator of player performance. Perhaps the eye test is failing me - outside of the obvious Laine rockets which happen fairly frequently :)
See Natural Stat Trick

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

NHL Player Stats - Corsica Hockey

Screenshot_20180528-072346.png
Screenshot_20180528-072506.png

I know that the sample size is way too small for Roslovic, but I really like his D most of the time. So I expect that he will continue to do allright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad