Patrik Laine, 13 goals in 13 Home games

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
he's a rookie with 15 goals, i don't care if he scores them on mars it's impressive

He is in goals ahead of guys like Tarasenko and Ovie (and every one else expect the Crosby) when 26 games played. As a true 18 year old who's gonna be 18 for whole regullar season - It's just something else, his rookie year level is elite already, and he's barely legal to play in the league. How good this kid will be when he matures his game and gets explosiveness? We'll be delighted to see.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
No they didn't, the teams got exactly the players they needed. Should have 2 happy teams.

He has 7 powerplay goals.

I stand corrected. I thought he had 9, but he has 9 PP points, 7 of them goals... still a very high ratio. My point was he is scoring his goals when he has more time to wind up. Once he is more comfortable with the speed of the NHL and the tighter checking he will likely start scoring more goals... which is scary.

I wanted the Oilers defenders on the PK to 'cheat' into his space to not allow him as much time to shoot... but they didn't. :(

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I stand corrected. I thought he had 9, but he has 9 PP points, 7 of them goals... still a very high ratio. My point was he is scoring his goals when he has more time to wind up. Once he is more comfortable with the speed of the NHL and the tighter checking he will likely start scoring more goals... which is scary.

I wanted the Oilers defenders on the PK to 'cheat' into his space to not allow him as much time to shoot... but they didn't. :(

He is pretty difficult to defend. I remember reading Ekholms comments about that at the World Cup already, he's great at finding areas where he's difficult to defend.
You can see in those 2 goals as well that he keeps moving to find that open spot.
They tried to focus on him but the moment they forgot he was on the ice he made them pay.

If I remember right

7pp goals,
1 6-5 goal,
1 3on3 goal,
6 ES goals.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

Well Laine has 8 even strength goals too. Which is good for 14th in the league.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Top 3 in goals for 18 year old rookies in the NHL All time

Dale Hawerchuk - 45 goals in 80 games
Sidney Crosby - 39 goals in 81 games
Steve Yzerman - 39 goals in 80 games

Laine 15 goals in 26 games on pace for 47 goals in 82 games.

Would be cool if he broke Dale's record.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Well Laine has 8 even strength goals too. Which is good for 14th in the league.

Yup, incredible for an 18 year old who has only played 26 NHL games!

The Oilers are so unlucky for not holding onto the #2 spot in the NHL draft this past year. :) All kidding aside... could you imagine the possibility of McDavid and Laine for the next decade. No disrespect intended to Schiefele.

Anyways, great player that Patrik Laine!

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Top 3 in goals for 18 year old rookies in the NHL All time

Dale Hawerchuk - 45 goals in 80 games
Sidney Crosby - 39 goals in 81 games
Steve Yzerman - 39 goals in 80 games

Laine 15 goals in 26 games on pace for 47 goals in 82 games.

Would be cool if he broke Dale's record.

That would be just insane, compared to era these were made.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Yup, incredible for an 18 year old who has only played 26 NHL games!

The Oilers are so unlucky for not holding onto the #2 spot in the NHL draft this past year. :) All kidding aside... could you imagine the possibility of McDavid and Laine for the next decade. No disrespect intended to Schiefele.

Anyways, great player that Patrik Laine!

so unlucky? Winning McDavid you should never say unlucky again. You will be always the lucky *******.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
so unlucky? Winning McDavid you should never say unlucky again. You will be always the lucky *******.

I'd say it is a tie. Laine is the real deal. I'd rather have McDavid but if only we could have both... I drool at the idea of those 2 guys playing together. Just wow.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I must say that I find myself liking whats Laines doing, and that as a Swede, he is just that much boss!

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
He's just a great player. :handclap:

And please stop bringing up Auston in each Laine thread and vice versa... These are two great players and each is the right guy for his team. Just enjoy all these new kids.:yo:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Laine's the real deal and we are more than happy to have him in Winnipeg.

Toronto picked the wrong guy.
You aren't worthy of having Ralph Wigum as your avater.

Toronto will gladly take the possession driving center who is the better 5v5 player.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
You aren't worthy of having Ralph Wigum as your avater.

Toronto will gladly take the possession driving center who is the better 5v5 player.

id gladly take the player with the most goals between the two. see, i can do it to. i can cherry pick any stat i want

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
id gladly take the player with the most goals between the two. see, i can do it to. i can cherry pick any stat i want
It is a combination of things. But glad to have fans of the opposing team telling us we picked the wrong guy again. But, I'll leave now before derailing this into another Laine vs Matthews thread, although I'm sure that is what that poster is trying to bait.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
wow, his career will tank when he requests a trade out of Winnipeg

That was probably a sarcasm but Laine loves Winnipeg and Winnipeg loves Laine so there's no problem. He's the guy who gonna lead Winnipeg to their first Stanley Cup ever, i'm not saying it's gonna happen this season, but sit and wait, this gonna be long and amazing story.

So glad Toronto skipped Laine he fits so much better for Winnipeg !

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He is pretty difficult to defend. I remember reading Ekholms comments about that at the World Cup already, he's great at finding areas where he's difficult to defend.
You can see in those 2 goals as well that he keeps moving to find that open spot.
They tried to focus on him but the moment they forgot he was on the ice he made them pay.

If I remember right

7pp goals,
1 6-5 goal,
1 3on3 goal,
6 ES goals.

Eh 5 on 3 they had no chance to defend him, but on the 5 on 4 Letestu was snoozing a little and definitely didn't look like he was trying to key on Laine at all. The 5 on 3 was an absolute rocket perfectly placed that Talbot had no chance on through a partial screen, the 5 on 4 goal imo was a bad goal on Talbots part. Even with how Laine can shoot the puck, it was from much farther out with no screen and was much more poorly placed than his 2nd one.

Anyways I have no idea the reason for his home and away splits. 25 games is far too small to conclude anything.

cotopaxi

Feb 2, 2015
Eh 5 on 3 they had no chance to defend him, but on the 5 on 4 Letestu was snoozing a little and definitely didn't look like he was trying to key on Laine at all. The 5 on 3 was an absolute rocket perfectly placed that Talbot had no chance on through a partial screen, the 5 on 4 goal imo was a bad goal on Talbots part. Even with how Laine can shoot the puck, it was from much farther out with no screen and was much more poorly placed than his 2nd one.

Anyways I have no idea the reason for his home and away splits. 25 games is far too small to conclude anything.

The first goal was perfectly aimed under Talbot's glove, although Laine didn't get full power on it. On the second goal which was a cannon of a shot Laine didn't have any space to shoot but short side because the d-man stayed with him.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He's going to be an absolute machine by the time he is 15 pounds heavier and stronger when he is 21 years old.

Best skill-set I have seen in a long, long time.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's going to be an absolute machine by the time he is 15 pounds heavier and stronger when he is 21 years old.

Best skill-set I have seen in a long, long time.

Laine is still so raw as a player. He is 26 games into playing on a smaller ice surface, first year against NHL players, first time going to a 82 game schedule, he is still growing, he is still developing. all at the age of 18, producing while still adjusting to the game. He has shown signs of using his body, he has already a 200 ft game, he is learning the intricacies of the game. On a team that is struggling, he has been one of their brightest stars.

There are many variables here, when they all come together, it will make Laine as you say, a machine. As a NHL fan, when he eventually does beast out. It will be something to watch and admire. I've seen a lot of unique players in my time of watching this game. Add Laine to this list that I will have the pleasure of seeing when he hits his prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad