Confirmed with Link: Patrik Elias Night, Saturday 2/24/18 vs. NYI

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I'll guarantee this was Patty's decision. You can't tell the guy being honored, who lives across an ocean, what day he should be in town. This probably just worked best for Patty.

There's also several easy ways the Devils can be sure only our fans are in the building:
- Jack up the prices. This game means something to Devils fans, and NYI fans likely won't want to pay the premium price.
- Offer STH and Flex Members the ability to buy extras first. They've done it before for major events.
- Only offer the tickets to people who buy smaller ticket plans (half seasons, "rival" plans, etc.)

Let's be real, there will be Islanders fans there. There was at least a few Oilers fans at Marty Night. But it won't be an easy ticket, and you'd have to have huge stones to be obnoxious during this given how heavily outnumbered you'd be. And you'd be ejected before the game even began, so why spend all that money just to be a jerk? Any NYI fans there are likely going because they respect Patty anyway.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm sure they would rather schedule it on a weekday but with Patty going back to the Czech Republic for a while a Saturday was probably more convenient for his family.

I thought that was odd too. Usually they pick Tuesday or Wednesday nights for these since they know they'd sell 0 tickets otherwise, so it wouldn't shock me if you're correct and Clan Elias had something to do with the decision.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
4(Carolina), 3(Boston) and 27(Dallas) were all on Friday nights, 30(Edmonton) was on a Tuesday. All crappy games opponents wise.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I wonder if the Devils are going to play "ticket hyginx" with the Elias game like they did with the Brodeur game?

I suspect that they will, which I get, I just worry the Devils ticketing department will completely overplay their hand like they normally do and screw it up. As much as we all love him, Elias ≠ Brodeur.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
4(Carolina), 3(Boston) and 27(Dallas) were all on Friday nights, 30(Edmonton) was on a Tuesday. All crappy games opponents wise.

Next time you see Patty, ask him why he was busy those nights and chose Saturday :nod: I'm telling you, the team didn't want this any more than you did.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I wonder if the Devils are going to play "ticket hyginx" with the Elias game like they did with the Brodeur game?

I suspect that they will, which I get, I just worry the Devils ticketing department will completely overplay their hand like they normally do and screw it up. As much as we all love him, Elias â‰* Brodeur.

What happened? I had tickets for that game to begin with (I wanted to see McDavid) so didn't have to bother trying to get them.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ

I suspect that they will, which I get, I just worry the Devils ticketing department will completely overplay their hand like they normally do and screw it up. As much as we all love him, Elias ≠ Brodeur.

Well with Marty night, the day was chosen after tickets for the season went public, so they then looked bad in some people's eyes for jacking up prices after the fact. They clearly learned from that, and this time they will set the prices very high beforehand.

People will still complain though that prices are too high and they should be able to pay $20 for this historic event, but that's because people are stupid and selfish. The game will eventually sell out and the team honestly should get what they can for it.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
What happened? I had tickets for that game to begin with (I wanted to see McDavid) so didn't have to bother trying to get them.

They immediately shut off the sales of tickets for that game through TicketMaster as soon as the Brodeur date was announced.

Soon after, they significantly raised the ticket prices for that game, and they made Marty Night tickets available only through "multi-game ticket packages", which caused many fans to buy tickets for 5 or 8 hockey games rather than 1 hockey game.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Next time you see Patty, ask him why he was busy those nights and chose Saturday :nod: I'm telling you, the team didn't want this any more than you did.

I'll be there no matter what and it's the last one we are going to see for quite some time so we all better enjoy it.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I'll be there no matter what and it's the last one we are going to see for quite some time so we all better enjoy it.

Damn.... the reality of those words just hit me pretty hard :cry: Not that I think we should retire numbers like the Yankees have been, but it's sad to think we're some time from a franchise legend getting honored, especially given the high standards these 5 guys set.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
They immediately shut off the sales of tickets for that game through TicketMaster as soon as the Brodeur date was announced.

Soon after, they significantly raised the ticket prices for that game, and they made Marty Night tickets available only through "multi-game ticket packages", which caused many fans to buy tickets for 5 or 8 hockey games rather than 1 hockey game.

Ahhhh, now I remember those Marty ticket packages. :shakehead They may have also been pushing group sales for Marty night. A friend of mine purchased a 10-seat block in the 200s and if I recall what he mentioned to me, it was the only way he was getting in the building.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Debbie-Downer.png

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ

I suspect that they will, which I get, I just worry the Devils ticketing department will completely overplay their hand like they normally do and screw it up. As much as we all love him, Elias â‰* Brodeur.

Looks like they're already into hijinx mode with packages. These from Twitter.

https://twitter.com/NJDevils/status/892765642289405952

Up8rUql.png

AZVFdCk.png

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
As much as we all love him, Elias ≠ Brodeur.

i think you're under-appreciating the fan base view of elias, even casual fans. he got a pretty ridiculous turnout/fan recognition just for skating in warmups. as much as i love marty, evidenced by my username, elias didn't leave us to play elsewhere.

that said, i know the markup will be absolutely ridiculous and i have no intention on blowing that much money to watch a highlight reel and see his number go up. still obviously a very cool honor...if there was one past player i would want to bring in for coaching/scouting/anything, it's patty

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'll try to be there. Non-Summer trips to Jersey are very rare for me these days.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
So ... do they do "An Evening with Patty" the night before, same as they did with Marty? That event was crazy but fun.

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
Just bought a pair of tickets for this....expensive, for sure, but I don't see the team retiring another jersey # anytime in the near future. Plus, aside from Marty, Patty was and always will be my favorite Devil :)

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Just bought a pair of tickets for this....expensive, for sure, but I don't see the team retiring another jersey # anytime in the near future. Plus, aside from Marty, Patty was and always will be my favorite Devil :)

Sometimes you've just got to splurge, and I think the Devils will do a nice job with Patty's ceremony like they did with Marty's. Tickets are definitely expensive and I totally understand that they will be out of some fans' budget, but they are probably cheapest now, so most likely better to bite the bullet now than wait. I remember ticket prices skyrocketing even on the same day when Marty's retirement was announced. Basically, I think the time to buy is now if you have an interest in going and don't already have some sort of ticket plan with the Devils. And third party sellers seem the wiser alternative if you don't want to be roped into larger ticket plans from the Devils.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
no tickets under $225 on Stubhub lol

that escalated quickly.

They were $80 or so yesterday (I had some inside info that 2/24 was the date). Did not buy any; my bank account regrets that decision but not into playing fan broker.

Need to pick a bunch up for friends though and hoping I made the right move opting to wait for the STH presale. Would rather give the Devils my money than a broker/Stubhub.

Should also note there are only 69 seats on stubhub so not exactly a lot of supply out there at the moment. Marty night seats we below $200 in the days before - sellers always do best and buyers worst in the initial hysteria following these announcements.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad