Prospect Info: Patrick vs Nico II: Tragic for Patrick or Torpedo for Nico?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
word is we're trading the 1st overall and future considerations (kovy signed for 2 years w/limited trade clause on 7/1) to the islanders for future considerations (JT and his new contract on 7/1). i translated the tweet from russian, it was basically something about him wanting to live close to NYC, the hustle and bussle and all that.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
word is we're trading the 1st overall and future considerations (kovy signed for 2 years w/limited trade clause on 7/1) to the islanders for future considerations (JT and his new contract on 7/1). i translated the tweet from russian, it was basically something about him wanting to live close to NYC, the hustle and bussle and all that.

Ok so 1) Never happening

2) If Shero gets Tavares with our #1 pick, he deserves a statue

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Guys outplay projection all the time. McLeod's hands and speed combined with his size sets him apart from a lot of his peers. I'd argue his chance to outplay any projection is legitimate and a consideration. He very well could be the #1 regardless of Patrick or Hischier. It also needs to be remembered that Zacha is not locked into the wing for the rest of his career either. He was drafted as a center himself. At the end of the day though, I agree. Too many of a good thing is not a bad thing in this respect.

Right, but making other draft picks based on a player surpassing his projections is foolish.. heck, making draft picks based on anything else other than BPA is foolish.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago

uh huh.... lol the stories people create in thier heads on Twitter is hilarious

DirtyJerzey

Oct 19, 2013

and this came from where?
JT huh? riiiiight :shakehead

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US

While i'm 99.99999999999999999999999% sure this will never happen, I want it to so badly :laugh:

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
could you imagine the facebook fans who would see us trading #1 Overall for future considerations and lose their ****ing minds XD

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

SYGwA97.gif

Don't believe anything unless it comes for a legitimate source.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Mmmhmmm...and Dan Girardi really isn't that bad.

:P

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
so consensus is that Patrick's potential is a 2C. Not many people still believe he's going to be any more than that. Regardless of his health, Hischiers got 1st line potential. I don't think this is a hard pick... I hope it isn't

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
so consensus is that Patrick's potential is a 2C. Not many people still believe he's going to be any more than that. Regardless of his health, Hischiers got 1st line potential. I don't think this is a hard pick... I hope it isn't

I'll just repost what I said on the last page when someone said this without any sourcing. Please provide the sourcing for where the consensus is that Patrick's ceiling is a #2 center.

Link? Most of the professional opinions I have read say he will be a #1 center, but not an elite franchise player like McDavid/Eichel, Matthews/Laine from the last few drafts. Hischier isn't predicted to be an elite franchise player either.

The only references to #2 center I have found so far are to posters on HF or other forums.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I'll just repost what I said on the last page when someone said this without any sourcing. Please provide the sourcing for where the consensus is that Patrick's ceiling is a #2 center.

Good god, thank you.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Please provide sourcing where Patrick is suggested as anything more than a 2c. And no Craig button from 3 years ago doesn't count. Go

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Please provide sourcing where Patrick is suggested as anything more than a 2c. And no Craig button from 3 years ago doesn't count. Go

3:06, Bob McKenzie

It's gotta be difficult for Vancouver, they're looking for a top center, they would get one with the top two picks, but it's not to be
http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/mock-drafts/2017-nhl-mock-draft-may/

Seems like a tough choice, but the Devils overlook Patrick’s injury history and draft their first franchise center since Kirk Muller 33 years prior. His blend of skill and power is unmatched among draft eligibles, and he was dominant for an understrength Brandon squad.

That took me less than a minute.

https://www.nhl.com/news/over-the-boards-mailbag-dan-rosen-nolan-patrick/c-289226194

The Devils need a top center and a new face for the franchise. Taylor Hall and Patrick could be the players the Devils can sell to their fans.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-mock-draft-adam-kimelman-projections-2017/c-289185814?tid=277764372

The Devils get the franchise center they need to invigorate an offense that averaged 2.20 goals per game this season, third-fewest in the League.

https://www.nhl.com/news/mike-morreales-2017-nhlcom-mock-draft/c-289185820?tid=277764372

He knows how to use his size and reach, is as dangerous a passer as he is a shooter, and is projected a future top-line NHL center capable of playing all situations.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Here's a couple more.

April 29, 2017 - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ck-the-likely-no-1-pick-in-the-2017-nhl-draft

"I don't see any vulnerability or weakness in his game. He's so big, so strong, with great hockey sense, and he's totally unselfish. I think he'll be an A-plus, franchise player."

— NHL scout Paul Henry on Nolan Patrick

March 29, 2017 - http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/03/29/nolan-patrick-scouting-report-2017-nhl-draft-1/

While Patrick is not as good a prospect as the last two first overall picks, Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews; he still has potential to become a franchise centre. He might take a little longer to have the immediate impact that McDavid and Matthews have had, but he still could grow to be a very valuable player if he can reach his ceiling. Staying healthy will be key. He is reminiscent of Ryan Getzlaf in terms of playing style. This is not a talent comparison, but simply a stylistic one.

Still waiting for this consensus opinion that he's a #2 that you claimed.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I watched a little bit of tape on both, I think I'm leaning toward Hischier. Nolan plays a pretty straight forward game, not that it's bad. He out muscles guys down low, responsible, pretty much comes as advertised.

Hischier seems like a more agile guy, and better down low and in the corners than maybe given credit for. Hischier is what, 6' 175lbs? He'll likely fill out at around 190. That's decent enough size for a top line center.

Granted, it was just one game for each, but I went in wanting to like Nolan more. I think his style is a better compliment for Mcleod and Zajac, but if I had to pick right now I think I'd go Hischier.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I watched a little bit of tape on both, I think I'm leaning toward Hischier. Nolan plays a pretty straight forward game, not that it's bad. He out muscles guys down low, responsible, pretty much comes as advertised.

Hischier seems like a more agile guy, and better down low and in the corners than maybe given credit for. Hischier is what, 6' 175lbs? He'll likely fill out at around 190. That's decent enough size for a top line center.

Granted, it was just one game for each, but I went in wanting to like Nolan more. I think his style is a better compliment for Mcleod and Zajac, but if I had to pick right now I think I'd go Hischier.
I had originally decided on Hischier after watching some hilights and a game. The problem is that Patrick "does the little things", which I presume scouts can spot better than I. I decided that my decision was probably biased because when Nico does his thing, it's very flashy and easy to see, so now I don't know WHO I want.

The thing that's particularly enticing to me are all the reports about Hischier's love of the game, work ethic, competitive drive, and all around attitude. I'm sure Nolan has many of the same traits, but the fact that I've read that about Nico in multiple places makes me think it may be above and beyond.

On the other hand, I'd just love a power forward like Nolan, that can protect the puck and find the open man to set up a scoring chance. I feel like we really need one of those on our team. Hopefully Zacha develops into one, but having another in Nolan would be great.

Yet another side of me just wants to say "screw it" and trade the pick for a young #1 D man like Lindholm and be done with it :)

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
I had originally decided on Hischier after watching some hilights and a game. The problem is that Patrick "does the little things", which I presume scouts can spot better than I. I decided that my decision was probably biased because when Nico does his thing, it's very flashy and easy to see, so now I don't know WHO I want.

The thing that's particularly enticing to me are all the reports about Hischier's love of the game, work ethic, competitive drive, and all around attitude. I'm sure Nolan has many of the same traits, but the fact that I've read that about Nico in multiple places makes me think it may be above and beyond.

On the other hand, I'd just love a power forward like Nolan, that can protect the puck and find the open man to set up a scoring chance. I feel like we really need one of those on our team. Hopefully Zacha develops into one, but having another in Nolan would be great.

Yet another side of me just wants to say "screw it" and trade the pick for a young #1 D man like Lindholm and be done with it :)

That last part makes me so happy you aren't our GM. And just to be clear me saying Patrick is a 2C is not bashing him. I've openly been defending him on the main board. We aren't getting a lock franchise center no matter who we pick

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That last part makes me so happy you aren't our GM. And just to be clear me saying Patrick is a 2C is not bashing him. I've openly been defending him on the main board. We aren't getting a lock franchise center no matter who we pick

You didn't say that you thought Patrick is only going to be a 2C, you said the consensus is that he is only going to be a 2C. There's a big difference between those two statements, as one is your opinion and the other is blatantly untrue.

Last edited:

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
You didn't say that you thought Patrick is only going to be a 2C, you said the consensus is that he is only going to be a 2C. There's a big difference between those two statements, as one is your opinion and the other is blatantly untrue.

I think you're just a huge Patrick homer because you think we're taking him. He will be a good 2C and has shown nothing to prove he is elite offensively.

Your reaction when we draft Nico will be priceless

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think you're just a huge Patrick homer because you think we're taking him. He will be a good 2C and has shown nothing to prove he is elite offensively.

I'll be fine with either. I prefer Patrick, but don't have an issue with Hischier either. What I have a problem with is the false statements and hyperbole you keep throwing out in this thread. Stick to your opinions or source your claims, otherwise don't be surprised or don't get bitter when people call you out for making claims without any backing to them.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

why do you keep repeating this? it is based on nothing.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Again, Hischier this year was around ~1.5 ppg. Patrick over the past TWO years (longer sample size) is around ~1.4 ppg

so that difference in 0.1 ppg is the difference between '2C' and 'elite scoring upside'?

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
im completely fine with either I just see a 2C in Patrick and Nico I think is more likely to be w top liner. I've stated in the past all around I believe Patrick is the better player. Nicos got more offensive potential for sure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad