Speculation: Patrick Sharp trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Why would we want to plug in a then 36 year old geezer who fell off the cliff in scoring 2 years earlier and probably never again regains his once deadly sniping touch*
Why wouldn't the Hawks want Sharp back at a much cheaper cost in a couple of years? No one is saying to sign him to a similar deal, sign him for 2 or 3 mil if his game has fallen off a bit. I want to see him wear an indian head again, and would have no issues bringing him back in the later stages of his career. He can still be a quality player outside of scoring. Not to mention his locker room presence and friendships he would still have.

Sounds like you want him to stay with those high expectations (which I wouldn't mind either). Wilson may not fit the Chicago mould, but he keeps the ops honest with his play .... and would be a good replacement for BB.
Yes, I do want him to stay, but if he has to be traded, I want as much as possible. I think we can get a ton more than Wilson, who is a 3rd liner at best in my books. Much prefer we go for a high pick + a B level prospect or a quality defender on a cheap contract than a bum like Wilson.

HawksFan37

Dec 27, 2007
Will be sad to see him go, he's given everything he had to this team the last 10 years.

My guess is he ends up in one of WSH, MTL or FLA.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Get over yourself Bobby. I love Sharp and have his jersey. It's going to be a swift kick in the gut when he gets traded but it's still probably going to happen. Except for Fiddy, nobody is disrespecting Sharp.

MTL is going to be all over Sharp and/or Bickell. They need a scoring winger and they seemingly eat up that "we need hits and size!" crap so I'm sure they'd want Bickell.

I admit, I'm a bit sensitive about it, but Sharp has been dissed many times by Hawk supporters this season and over the years. The latest was led by MM throughout the PO's. He may get traded yes, but "clearly he is going" is simply inaccurate. Nothing is clear until it happens.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I admit, I'm a bit sensitive about it, but Sharp has been dissed many times by Hawk supporters this season and over the years. The latest was led by MM throughout the PO's. He may get traded yes, but "clearly he is going" is simply inaccurate. Nothing is clear until it happens.

Ya know, I love Sharp, but it looks pretty likely that he will be moved. It is what it is. I hope he lands in a nice place and that the Hawks get solid compensation back for him.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
Sharp was not good this season in any way. Poor defensively, constantly missing the net. His points this season were incredibly quiet and hard to remember (outside of the gift in Game 5). The rumors that went around about his personal life were disgraceful. I don't know where they came from. Or why they were spread. I would not be upset to hear he's suing someone over that and credit hfboards moderators for not allowing that talk.

Sharp was amazing in his career for the 'Hawks, but this season was a mess for him. Trading him saves cap room and gives him a fresh start. I wish him well.

Having said that, Sharp will likely go to the East. Teams looking for scoring include:
1. Montreal
2. Washington
3. New York Islanders
4. Florida Panthers
5. Columbus Blue Jackets
6. New Jersey Devils
7. Carolina Hurricanes
8. Toronto Maple Leafs
9. Buffalo Sabres
10. Pittsburgh

Out of those teams, I'll assume Sharp would accept a trade to Montreal, Washington, New York, Toronto, and maybe Florida.

Perhaps Toronto ships out Kessel and replaces him with Sharp? If he's OK with Pittsburgh, perhaps they trade Malkin and take in Sharp? Chicago needs a center and the Islanders have a lot of center depth. Perhaps Anders Lee + a pick for Patrick Sharp? Or Frans Neilsen with retained salary (who will be a UFA next season, current 3.5 million contract).

My guess is he goes to the Islanders. They are going to a new arena and will want to make a splash. They are going to go after either Sharp or whomever St Louis/San Jose chooses to part with. Raanta might be a part of that deal as well, as NYI may need a backup with Neuvirth being a UFA.

To NYI:
Patrick Sharp
Annti Raanta
Mark McNeill

To CHI:
Frans Neilsen (25% retained)
Josh Ho-Sang
112th overall 2015

Last edited:

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I'm probably one of the few here who wants Sharp to stay and the Hawks to continue to have ridiculous depth at the forward position, but I can understand him being dealt especially considering it'll be a lot harder to move Bickell.

B4rre

Jan 17, 2014
To NYI:
Patrick Sharp
Annti Raanta
Mark McNeill

To CHI:
Frans Neilsen (25% retained)
Josh Ho-Sang
112th overall 2015

I haven't followed more recent discussion about Ho-Sang but I think it is highly unlikely Hawks would take him from NYI. He has some serious reputation issues and Snow was high on him as he traded up to get Ho-Sang despite the well known issues.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Sharp will fetch a lot with this UFA class.....

I hate to see Sharp go to boot - He has been here since day one.... I hope the Hawks trade back for him at the season after next trade deadline.... He belongs in the Indian Head.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I would not trade him to a team in our division and would much prefer a team in the eastern conference. All depends on the offer but after what Sharp has given us the organization may consider his feelings on where he might prefer to go.

His production definitely dropped the last 2 playoffs and this past regular season but I thought he played pretty well these last 2 rounds even if he didn't put up numbers. People should always respect what he has given to this organization, he was on the team back when they sucked. One of the greatest Hawks of all time with 2 great playoffs in 10 and 13. I understand he needs to go but it will make me sick to see him in another jersey. Some in here see a drop in someone's production and just just want to chuck the guy in the trash. Is this going to be the attitude with Keith in a few years, Hossa? Respect people...

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Trade him east. A 1st or a good prospect that is ready to compete for a spot next year will do, anything more is a bonus. Thanks for the memories, Sharp!

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Patrick Sharp is never playing another game in a Blackhawks jersey.

It looked that way on the ice when being interviewed with his Wife & Daughters, appeared to me as more of a sad moment perhaps than a lot of joy.... imo of course.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
I'm probably one of the few here who wants Sharp to stay and the Hawks to continue to have ridiculous depth at the forward position, but I can understand him being dealt especially considering it'll be a lot harder to move Bickell.

Agree with that, what I like is his speed that you cannot replace, but how do we afford him?

Retail1LO*

Tom Wilson is the kind of player this team hasn't had in a very long time...and is exactly what this team needs. I'd trade Sharpie for Wilson and a 3rd, no problem.

Retail1LO*

I'm not sure about Wilson's skill level, but keeping the opponent honest is impossible to quantify and really not sure that matters anyway. Hartman can play the same role as Wilson.

Ok. Fine. I want Hartman AND Wilson on this team at the same time. I'd die to have a 3rd or 4th line that not only can play the body and get under the skin, but also put some pucks in the net.

Today's NHL is already getting away from fighting, which I'm fine with. But good old fashioned agitation, physicality, grit, and in your face hockey is something I sorely miss in today's hockey.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Nah there's a ton of Sharp jerseys up here for some reason. Hawks Toronto jersey power rankings

Real: 1) Toews, 2) Sharp, 3) Kane
Fake: 1) Kane, 2) N/A

He grew up in Thunder Bay, Ontario, so that might have something to do with it. Of the Blackhawks core, he's the closest thing to a home-town boy.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Sharp status

I think, while it's difficult to go to a re-building club after having such a great run in Chi-Townn, he'll head to Buffalo and accept the role to mentor Jack Eichel. As a matter of fact, I can see Buffalo taking Bickell off our hands, as well, on the trade front and Oduya as an UFA. These guys can teach the youngsters what it takes to win which that club desperately needs now. Nobody wants to go to Edmonton otherwise I would say that's was a possibility. In praise of Sharp, he handled the challenges of this year and he will go down in the history of the Blackhawks as one of the greatest trade pieces ever acquired. Good luck to you, Sharpy!

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I think, while it's difficult to go to a re-building club after having such a great run in Chi-Townn, he'll head to Buffalo and accept the role to mentor Jack Eichel. As a matter of fact, I can see Buffalo taking Bickell off our hands, as well, on the trade front and Oduya as an UFA. These guys can teach the youngsters what it takes to win which that club desperately needs now. Nobody wants to go to Edmonton otherwise I would say that's was a possibility. In praise of Sharp, he handled the challenges of this year and he will go down in the history of the Blackhawks as one of the greatest trade pieces ever acquired. Good luck to you, Sharpy!

I doubt it.

Not only do I doubt Sharp would want to be there, I'm pretty sure the Blackhawks wouldn't want to send him there. They're likely looking for a 1st round pick, and they're not getting one from Buffalo.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Sharp to Buffalo

Why not? They have 2 first round picks this year. The 21st if I'm not mistaken.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Why not? They have 2 first round picks this year. The 21st if I'm not mistaken.

I think a rebuilding team is going to horde all their 1st round picks. It would take more than Sharp to pry it away from them.

I think you're looking at teams with picks in the 20+ region, like Washington or Montreal.

We'll see. Could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad