Player Discussion Pat Maroon

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I have to question it a bit considering guys like Kessel, Seguin, Smith and Hamilton were all moved in part for not "fitting in".

Reading Shawn Thornton's book there were definitely several different leadership groups in the same locker room. Chara/Bergeron did things a certain way.....Thornton, Ference and Boychuk were cut from the same cloth and their views on rookies were a lot different,

So you ask for evidence, and when given it, you discount it. Why ask in the first place if your mind is already made up?

Reactions: Ladyfan

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Actually think some folks have been yearning for a "greasy, dirty, cheap shot artist" on the roster.
I guess. I don’t have an issue with it but I also don’t piss and moan when Marchand does some of his greasy shit either, unlike a lot the folks who are going on and on about Maroon, as if he doesn’t cross the line at times.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I guess. I don’t have an issue with it but I also don’t piss and moan when Marchand does some of his greasy shit either, unlike a lot the folks who are going on and on about Maroon, as if he doesn’t cross the line at times.
Marchand and maroon are different players.

Till Maroon adds something positive to this club I'd hold off on the praise, but that's just because I'm petty

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Some fans are acting like Maroon kicked a puppy. He's a greaseball. He does his job. He's not a Matt Cooke.

Looking at his stats over the last 4 years, he's not just a goon. He can actually put up points too.

We all saw the outrage when Hathaway came here, and he didn't even play like the weasel he is and needed at the time.

Pat is a veteran and knows what needs to be done. So let's give him an opportunity to do so.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Marchand and maroon are different players.

Till Maroon adds something positive to this club I'd hold off on the praise, but that's just because I'm petty
No doubt they’re different. Marchand brings value along with greasy play. Maroon is just greasy. Either way though, Maroon is not what some here have convinced themselves of.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

BOSTON, MA — In most cases, when a team acquires a player in a trade, that player suits up and plays for his new club within a day or two of the transaction. For Pat Maroon and the Boston Bruins, the wait has been longer but there is light at the end of the tunnel as Maroon, who has been rehabbing from back surgery which he incurred on February 6, practiced with his new teammates for the first time on Monday.

“It felt good,” Maroon said after the workout, “I’ve kind of been lonely skating by myself. I tried to get up to speed with those guys. I’m certainly excited to feel a part of it. I’m excited to be back. I’m close (to playing in games). I’ve been out for almost twelve weeks. Hopefully, I’ll be back soon. I think the end goal is to play a couple of games before the playoffs.

“I can’t thank enough the staff here. They’ve been doing all the right things with me to make sure I’m a hundred percent. They have a plan for me. We’re just going to keep sticking with that.”

Toughness is not the only thing Maroon brings.

The 35-year-old native of St. Louis possesses something that is more valuable to the Bruins and that is experience. Playoff experience. As in three consecutive Stanley Cup championships. One with the St. Louis Blues (2019) and two with the Tampa Bay Lightning (2020 and 2021). Maroon knows a contender when he sees one and has been impressed with what he has seen since coming to Boston.

“There’s a reason why we’re on top of the (Atlantic Division) standings, right,” Maroon replied when asked to assess his new club. “I think the biggest thing for us is sticking with the structure and sticking with the process all sixty minutes of the game. That’s the biggest thing I’ve seen. Just sticking through the process. Playing hard, because we have all the skill in the world. We gotta be smart, and disciplined, and hopefully, we can trend this thing in the right direction.”

“He is making the steps to get closer,” Montgomery said. “I think when he first got here, we said week-to-week. We knew it was going to be a couple of weeks. Now, it really is week-to-week. And as he hits more of the steps and milestones, then it’ll become day-to-day.”

It appears Maroon is getting closer to that day-to-day status. Montgomery was asked if he could venture a guess as to what opponent Maroon might make his Bruins debut.

“Pittsburgh, probably,” Montgomery answered.

If that is the targeted opponent, it would mean Maroon could be in the lineup on April 13 at TD Garden.

Montgomery went on to say that having Maroon – whose nickname is “The Big Rig” – get into game action before the postseason begins would be ideal, however, should Maroon not be ready before the regular season ends, it would not be catastrophic.

“Guys that are veteran players, that have played a lot of playoff games, that know how to win, you would like them to have games but it’s not necessary,” explained Montgomery. “They know what it takes to win. They know their role. They relish their role. They understand how to manage games and it’s a big reason why we picked him up.”

There is no doubt his playing style will make Maroon an instant fan favorite in Boston. And there is no doubt he knows what it takes to win. Soon, he will get the opportunity to add those qualities to the Bruins roster.

“This is a team that a lot of people want to play for, and I’m just excited to get with the guys, and get in the lineup with them, and go to battle with them,” said Maroon. “We’re a good hockey team and I want to be a part of it as soon as possible.

“(We have) A good group of guys. An opportunity to win here. Guys that want to win. Good leadership group in here too. We have the foundation. Now, we just gotta go out there and put it on the ice.”

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
No doubt they’re different. Marchand brings value along with greasy play. Maroon is just greasy. Either way though, Maroon is not what some here have convinced themselves of.
What exactly have people said in here that's outlandish on what Maroon can bring to this team?

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It’s going to be funny to see the people excited by Maroon now, and then to contrast it with how they feel about him as a player by the end of the playoffs. Most seem to think he’s some kind of fighter that will take on anyone at anytime/a one man blitzkrieg instead of the greasy, dirty, cheap shot artist he actually is.
But, at the very least he’ll occupy some of the greasy, dirty, cheap shot artists on the other side.

And, unlike 98% of this roster he’s won more than 5 fights in his career.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
It’s going to be funny to see the people excited by Maroon now, and then to contrast it with how they feel about him as a player by the end of the playoffs. Most seem to think he’s some kind of fighter that will take on anyone at anytime/a one man blitzkrieg instead of the greasy, dirty, cheap shot artist he actually is.
Again, who's saying this?

"Cheapshot artist" - Can't really say I've ever seen him be this. Must be a ton of instances, right?

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
“There’s a reason why we’re on top of the (Atlantic Division) standings, right,” Maroon replied when asked to assess his new club. “I think the biggest thing for us is sticking with the structure and sticking with the process all sixty minutes of the game. That’s the biggest thing I’ve seen. Just sticking through the process. Playing hard, because we have all the skill in the world. We gotta be smart, and disciplined, and hopefully, we can trend this thing in the right direction.”
Seeing Maroon refer to the bruins as “we” is gonna take awhile to get used to lol

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Again, who's saying this?

"Cheapshot artist" - Can't really say I've ever seen him be this. Must be a ton of instances, right?
I think Lonnie is saying that Maroon is more of a Marchand pest than a Lucic heavy. And that many have that wrong. I agree with him.

I've stayed pretty mum on his acquisition. I've certainly hated Maroon in the past but here's the thing: I'm supposed to. That's his job and historically he's done it well. It's not the same as a Hathaway hate (or like a Matt Cooke) because I've never felt that Maroon was an "intent to injure" type of guy. Just a dickhead who is easy to root for when he's on your team and impossible to otherwise.

My reservation is solely based on whether or not he can play at 35 off a serious injury. I'm hopeful if skeptical.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I think Lonnie is saying that Maroon is more of a Marchand pest than a Lucic heavy. And that many have that wrong. I agree with him.

I've stayed pretty mum on his acquisition. I've certainly hated Maroon in the past but here's the thing: I'm supposed to. That's his job and historically he's done it well. It's not the same as a Hathaway hate (or like a Matt Cooke) because I've never felt that Maroon was an "intent to injure" type of guy. Just a dickhead who is easy to root for when he's on your team and impossible to otherwise.

My reservation is solely based on whether or not he can play at 35 off a serious injury. I'm hopeful if skeptical.

I obviously know nothing of the man personally.

But one angle that I keep coming back to is this..

If the B’s can win a cup, that’s 4 in 6 years for him.

Leads me to think of two logical things.

1. After winning 66.6666% of the last 6 cups, and coming off back surgery, you’d think he’d seriously consider hanging them up.

2. You’d think he’d be giving it every ounce of effort he has to allow #1 to happen.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Spot on

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

I don't disagree with this at all. Maroon is a pretty bad fighter, I've always said that. I think people may be overexaggerating his toughness because the Bruins lack so much of it to the point where anything seems like an upgrade. Hell, I might even be one of those guys to a certain extent. I'm sick of watching this team get pushed around without response.

I'm just disagreeing with him being a cheap shot artist. I can't agree with that at all.

Last edited:

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I don't disagree with this at all. Maroon is a pretty bad fighter, I've always said that. I think people may be overexaggerating his toughness because the Bruins lack so much of it to the point where anything seems like an upgrade. Hell, I might even be one of those guys to a certain extent. I'm sick of watching this team get pushed around without response.

I'm just disagreeing with him being a cheap shot artist. I can't agree with that at all.
I don’t think toughness means they are good at fighting.

If you look up toughness in the Oxford dictionary you see a photo of Seidenberg.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I don’t think toughness means they are good at fighting.

If you look up toughness in the Oxford dictionary you see a photo of Seidenberg.
I was using the comparison of the "Lucic heavyweight" - Again, I can't remember anyone saying that, either.

Reactions: Gordoff

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Yep, you nailed it on all fronts.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Todays Globe:

Pat Maroon landed a game-high five hits in his Bruins debut, riding on left wing in a trio that included Jesper Boqvist and Jakub Lauko. His one shot on net, the first of the night for the Original Black & Gold, came on a sweet feed from Boqvist near the 4:35 mark of the first period.

“I thought he was very effective for us,” said Montgomery, whose plan is for Maroon to play in the last two regular-season games. “Managed the game really well. You can see why he’s won a lot, because of the way he manages the game . . . changes at the right time . . . puts pucks in good areas and I thought him and Boqvist and Lauko were good . . . and I thought they were good with [Johnny] Beecher as well.”

Beecher, normally a No. 4 center, spent the night as the third line’s left winger, in part because James van Riemsdyk has gone colder than the tip of Mount Washington in the dead of winter.

“He’s good . . . competed hard,” said Marchand of Maroon. “He’s great in the room and on the bench . . . a great guy to have around. I liked his first game. I’m sure he’ll continue to feel better as he goes on and plays more. A great fit for the group.”

Timing, said Maroon, is always the issue when coming back from a long absence. Traded here March 8, he has been months into his recovery from back surgery, which was performed while with the Wild.

“When you are out for three months . . . just getting back into the groove of things . . . timing, hands, rushing plays,” he said. “Hold on to the puck a little more . . . making the plays you usually make . . . just your legs getting underneath you, I think that is the biggest thing. As I keep playing, it should just keep getting better.”

Maroon logged 13 minutes, 16 seconds on ice.

Reactions: Gordoff

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I can swallow this as long as the team lets Maroon be the asshole he's always been for other teams. Otherwise it is another wasted trade.

You'll have a hard time convincing me that it wasn't somehow conveyed to Garnet Hathaway that he should stop being an asshole once he joined the Bruins. He was 180 degrees opposite of the asshole he was on the Caps.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I can swallow this as long as the team lets Maroon be the asshole he's always been for other teams. Otherwise it is another wasted trade.

You'll have a hard time convincing me that it wasn't somehow conveyed to Garnet Hathaway that he should stop being an asshole once he joined the Bruins. He was 180 degrees opposite of the asshole he was on the Caps.
Bingo.

And I feel the same way.

I think with Maroon having 4 rings and being a vet, he gets more say or leeway. Let him.do his job the way he's been doing. It's worked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad