Parise or Vanek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
FlyersFan10 said:
To be honest, who cares. The thing is that both of these offensively talented players will become nothing more than second rate checkers when they get to the NHL. Remember, offense means nothing in the NHL now. It isn't about your team scoring goals, it's about your team preventing getting scored on. Any player with an inkling of offensive talent is not allowed to be creative and is forced to play a stiffling defensive game where talent and free thinking isn't allowed. So, enjoy what ever natural ability Parise and Vanek show because once they get to the NHL, that talent will be thrown out the window and replaced by being part of a system that players aren't allowed to deviate from. Yeah, you can tell I just "love" the NHL and the crap hockey that was played.

Zach Parise a second rate checker, huh? Well if that's what happens then we would have to label Parise a bust, is that how you feel he will turn out? And have you ever seen any of them play because I have a real hard time invisioning Vanek as a checker at all.

Deleted member 3032

Lou is God said:
Zach Parise a second rate checker, huh? Well if that's what happens then we would have to label Parise a bust, is that how you feel he will turn out? And have you ever seen any of them play because I have a real hard time invisioning Vanek as a checker at all.

I think you missed the point of his post. It seems like he's complaining more about the state of the NHL than Vanek or Parise's offensive potential (to me, at least). From the rest of his post it sounds like he's saying that offensively gifted players are forced to be uncreative and play in a system, therefore Parise and Vanek (creative, offensively gifted players) will end up essentially as checkers playing in an uncreative strict defensive system, rather then being let loose (and be entertaining for us to watch). It seems his post has really nothing to do about Vanek and Parise as much as the mindset of today's NHL.

At least, that's how I read his post to be.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Tanguay40 said:
I think you missed the point of his post. It seems like he's complaining more about the state of the NHL than Vanek or Parise's offensive potential (to me, at least). From the rest of his post it sounds like he's saying that offensively gifted players are forced to be uncreative and play in a system, therefore Parise and Vanek (creative, offensively gifted players) will end up essentially as checkers playing in an uncreative strict defensive system, rather then being let loose (and be entertaining for us to watch). It seems his post has really nothing to do about Vanek and Parise as much as the mindset of today's NHL.

At least, that's how I read his post to be.
Nah I think your right, his point was about the state of hockey, I totally misread it.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Flame_Star_Devil said:
Your point of view, like mine, is dictated by the team you root for.

If you acknowledge your point of view is dictated by the team you root for, why the **** are you even bothering?

A more significant question at this point might be, why the **** do I bother reading you?

Christ, it's worse than that, I'm actually interacting with you :help:

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Vlad The Impaler said:
If you acknowledge your point of view is dictated by the team you root for, why the **** are you even bothering?

A more significant question at this point might be, why the **** do I bother reading you?

Christ, it's worse than that, I'm actually interacting with you :help:

Because just because my point of view is dictated by my team (meaning that, as a Devils fan, I have to feel optomistic by our best prospect and will tend to defend him) doesn't mean that my opinion is any less valid.

I'm actually not certain if I should take you seriosly or not. Usually you make a lot of sense.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Sammy said:
I agree Vanek is having an impressive start to the AHL season but to Parise's defense. Allthough Parise's +- look poor you have to remember he is playing with two defensive liabilities in Suglobov and Voros. Parise has been by far our best PK'er and defensive forward this season. From what I hear he is also the only player that gives 100% every night. I am not going to enter this debate though. Both have the potential to be good for their respective teams, just leave it at that.

Sammy*

JasonMacIsaac said:
I agree Vanek is having an impressive start to the AHL season but to Parise's defense. Allthough Parise's +- look poor you have to remember he is playing with two defensive liabilities in Suglobov and Voros. Parise has been by far our best PK'er and defensive forward this season. From what I hear he is also the only player that gives 100% every night. I am not going to enter this debate though. Both have the potential to be good for their respective teams, just leave it at that.
My point in posting this was basically to show the idiocy/lunacy of somehow coming to a conclusion based on 8 games.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
JasonMacIsaac said:

Shouldn't his points be up higher with those linemantes, though? I don't get to see Albany games, and I know the team as the whole sucks, but Parise has cooled off. Is this just a result of the team as a whole brining him down?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
paxtang said:
Shouldn't his points be up higher with those linemantes, though? I don't get to see Albany games, and I know the team as the whole sucks, but Parise has cooled off. Is this just a result of the team as a whole brining him down?
Suglobov hasn't been the same since the injury he sustained. Parise also started the season on a line with Pihlman and Pikkarainen. Parise's offensive stats should be higher but nobody is finishing his great passes.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
JasonMacIsaac said:
Suglobov hasn't been the same since the injury he sustained. Parise also started the season on a line with Pihlman and Pikkarainen. Parise's offensive stats should be higher but nobody is finishing his great passes.

I didn't realize Suglobov was hurt. What I ment was, at the start of the year, Parise was off to a hot start with subpar offensive linemates. When he got put with better linemates, he seemed to cool off. Is that fair to say? Of do I have his timeline wrong. If I'm right, do you attribute Parise's stats to his own play or the fact taht Albany as a whole sucks?

CH Wizard

Vanek , He can become a better player then Parise both side of the ices.I mean Vanek imo has a higher upside offensively then Parise.Vanek can also become a better defensive player then Parise.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
I remember watching a Ranger 2003 draft segment and Don Maloney was interviewing the Suter kid and asked him who's the one player he would like to play with and he responded Zach Parise. I was very surprised to hear Suter say that and took and interest in Parise prior the that year's draft. Now, I haven't seen Vanek play, but I have seen Zach in the WJC, as well as his offensive abilities, he play's strong defense, goes hard to the net, which for me is important and as been stated to have great leadership skills. Let's just say I'm happy he's a Devil!

CH Wizard

Vlad The Impaler said:
I very much doubt it defensively.

Parise is intensive and not bad physically too but if Vanek start using to throw the body He'll be able to be at the same level defensively tehn Parise.I saw Vanek play and He isn't stopping to float.In the NHL he'll piss off the coach too much and He'll learn how to play a great game defensively.He needs time.Parise is better then Vanek defensively now no doubt but We never know about Vanek , He has a lot of things to learn.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
I didn't realize Suglobov was hurt. What I ment was, at the start of the year, Parise was off to a hot start with subpar offensive linemates. When he got put with better linemates, he seemed to cool off. Is that fair to say? Of do I have his timeline wrong. If I'm right, do you attribute Parise's stats to his own play or the fact taht Albany as a whole sucks?

The whole Parise/Albany as a whole/Suglobov scoring situation is interesting.

It really has to do with the defense being subpar due to injuries. Albany's top 3 defensemen have all been out for a few weeks (DeMarchi just got back). The entire team, both offensively and defensively, have suffered because of it. Especially on the power play.

When Teemu Kesa is playing the PP, you know something is wrong.

Parise himself is playing excellent regardless of what is on the score sheet. When I saw him, he was the undisputed best player on the ice whenever he was on the ice (the exception - the first half of the 1st period. He has problems gearing up). He plays great in his own zone (including using his body. He was actually among the more physical rats a lot of times) very well, and creates lots of chances offensively. His problem is mainly that his linemates (Combination of McAmmond, Voros, and Suglobov depending on the day's lineup), don't capitalize on the chances he creates.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
DownFromNJ said:
Vanek - 1 goal 0 assists in 6 games.
Parise - 3 goals 5 assists in 8 games.

Any questions?

Haha, thanks for the bump, I missed this thread earlier. So since Vanek's been: 9 goals, 7 assists while Parise's been: 2 goals, 5 assists. You must feel pretty dumb.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Nope, because both have had equal PPGs so far (.7). By the end of the season, Parise will outscore Vanek. He always has, and he always will.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
DownFromNJ said:
Nope, because both have had equal PPGs so far (.7). By the end of the season, Parise will outscore Vanek. He always has, and he always will.

Vanek's ppg since you posted that is an even 1.0, while Parise's is .58. That could very well change before the year is over (hence why people shouldn't make definitive points early in the season) but Vanek is very hot right now.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
MLH said:
Vanek's ppg since you posted that is an even 1.0, while Parise's is .58. That could very well change before the year is over (hence why people shouldn't make definitive points early in the season) but Vanek is very hot right now.

And Parise, despite playing VERY well from everyone's accounts, is stuck on the coldest team in the league.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I never understood why these two get compared. Other than being the same age they have nothing in common. Parise was an all american hard working two way forward. Vanek an offensive power that won a national championship. Parise will score, he works hard and is a talented player. Vanek is a very talented offensive player that will score where ever he plays. When he was freshman he looked like not so hot to start. He learned and became quit the power. And once he gets used to not playing on olympic ice and finds his space in the pros he will take off. It is no surprise to me most of his points are on the PP. While Parise in his adjustment period is playing as hard as he can. And sometimes good things happen. He will make a team not ready to play, pay. He goes full go all the time. Vanek will be the better O player and Parise the better 2 way. Right now Vanek has a better +/-. Parise might play on a worse team, or with defensive liabilities but his points do not show a run and gun style. I like Parise, he is a Minnostian so i want him to do well. But he will not be the same type of scorer as Vanek wil be. Might as well argue Lemieux vs Yzerman

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
thegreatone said:
Parise is intensive and not bad physically too but if Vanek start using to throw the body He'll be able to be at the same level defensively tehn Parise.I saw Vanek play and He isn't stopping to float.In the NHL he'll piss off the coach too much and He'll learn how to play a great game defensively.He needs time.Parise is better then Vanek defensively now no doubt but We never know about Vanek , He has a lot of things to learn.
Vanek will never be as good as Parise defensivly. Parise is one hell of a pk'er and is great defensivly even strength. If Parise doesn't make the NHL as a top line player he will no doubt become a 3rd or 4th line defensive forward. I doubt that will be the case. Vanek is so far from being good defensivly it isn't funny. He oozes offensive out of every pore in his skin and he that will get him to the NHL.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
The Messenger said:
Vanek = Pavel Brendl Part II

Parise all the way ..

Brendl and Vanek are different types of players. Vanek scores highlight goals, garbage goals, and everything in between. He goes to the net, goes into traffic, and is willing to pay a price to score. Brendl plays a perimeter game and doesn't have the "drive" to score tough goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad