Parayko vs Ekblad

Parayko vs Ekblad

• Total voters

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Your RD's were Ekblad, Pysyk, Petro, Weegar, someone has to play the #1RD role. Just because Ekblad is the best of that group doesn't mean automatically he's better than Parayoko. Parayoko would beat all those guys by a mile.

Ekblads skating is weak, his IQ has been questionable, his defense hasn't been elite. Only thing he has been elite at is scoring goals.
Again, his skating really puts a limit on his game and impact.

No it doesn't mean automatically mean he is better. What makes him better is his performance. You bring up his skating, if it skating is so bad why is he able to match up against the opponents top lines all year and post up a +9? If Parayko is such a such a far superior skater than why is his plus minus -7 despite not having to play against an opponents top line?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No it doesn't mean automatically mean he is better. What makes him better is his performance. You bring up his skating, if it skating is so bad why is he able to match up against the opponents top lines all year and post up a +9? If Parayko is such a such a far superior skater than why is his plus minus -7 despite not having to play against an opponents top line?

+- is useless, again someone had to play the 1st pair minutes, Ekblad wasn't elite, Ekblad wasn't great, he neither was the best D-man on his team. Today Ekblad is not the guy you want to play the heavy minutes.

Parayoko has played some games himself in the NHL and has a better skill set.

Reactions: I am not exposed

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
+- is useless, again someone had to play the 1st pair minutes, Ekblad wasn't elite, Ekblad wasn't great, he neither was the best D-man on his team. Today Ekblad is not the guy you want to play the heavy minutes.

Parayoko has played some games himself in the NHL and has a better skill set.

What skillset is it? He isn't a better shooter, passer and there are no advanced stats metric that indicate he is a better dman. Sure he may be a better skater and more physical but what actual indication shows he is better ?

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Ekblad has higher potential but I like the stability with Parayko. At his worst he's a #3D with potential of becoming one of the best #2D in the NHL. Ekblad has true #1D potential but has been too inconsistent.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Ekblad got exposed on the big ice! Slow player with little skill.
He did this tournament, the tournament he played before that he was really quite good and no big ice exposed him at all, he was just fine on the big ice.

I think he has just regressed as a player for whatever reasons so I can't really agree with you here.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Different strengths and weaknesses. If parayko can start to generate more offense and HIT the net with his shot then it'd be hard to take ekblad over him, but if last year is what you're going to consistently get, then i'd probably tilt a little more towards ekblad, though i'll admit i haven't really watched him much lately

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
What skillset is it? He isn't a better shooter, passer and there are no advanced stats metric that indicate he is a better dman. Sure he may be a better skater and more physical but what actual indication shows he is better ?
Ok let's compare both player's stats from last season. All advanced stats are for 5v5.

EkbladParayko
GP8282
G166
A2229
Pts3835
aTOI 23:23 22:37
shTOI 2:15 1:54
ppTOI 2:08 1:56
P1/60.46.45
CF%47.752.99
RelCF%-2.16+2
xGF%46.5753.8
RelxGF% -3.54+3.73
iPen+1 -11+9
ZSR 41.4847.98
TOI%36.6136.71
TOI%QoT 29.5227.87
TOI%QoC 29.5228.94
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So, what conclusions can we draw from these numbers? For one, it's simply false to say that there no advanced stats metrics that say Parayko is a better defender. It's also highly questionable to claim that he isn't a better passer or shooter or that Parayko is more physical than Ekblad.

Digging deeper, the numbers indicate to me that Ekblad played more minutes with significantly better teammates against tougher competition. Both players were relied on to play significant PK minutes, with a slight edge to Ekblad in average total minutes and PP minutes. It's interesting that Parayko actually played a higher percentage of the Blues 5v5 minutes than Ekblad played for the panthers. Ekblad's 5v5 ZSR is low meaning he started in the defensive end very often, and he played against tougher QoC, which indicates that his 5v5 minutes were tougher than Parayko's. However, it's worth mentioning that Ekblad also played with much better QoT, meaning that while his competition might've been tougher than Parayko's, the players around his were also much better.

While Ekblad scored way more goals and slightly more points, it's telling that both players scored nearly identical P1/60. This would indicate that at 5v5, both players had a very similar impact offensively. Ekblad's 5v5 shooting percentage was 6.98%, while Parayko's was 1.22%. I would guess that Parayko's 1.22% shooting percentage indicates that he was a bit unlucky 5v5 (FWIW my personal eye test backs up this conclusion).

Now, looking at the possession metrics, Parayko blows Ekblad out of the water. It's not even close. Their relative stats all favor Parayko, as do CF and xGF. Parayko also drew 9 more penalties than he took, while Ekblad took 11 more penalties than he drew.

All of this actually ignores the most compelling actual indication that Parayko is better than Ekblad. The past 2 times that Parayko and Ekblad have been on the same team in international competition, Ekblad started out at the #1RD on the team. Both times, Parayko has ended the tournament as the #1RD. Granted, at the world cup, we can't say for certain what would have happened if Ekblad hadn't gotten injured. Whether or not the injuries should count against Ekblad is up for debate. However, at the world championships, anyone who watched can tell you that Parayko outplayed Ekblad (even if Ekblad got an award as one of the 3 best players on team Canada).

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Ok let's compare both player's stats from last season. All advanced stats are for 5v5.

EkbladParayko
GP8282
G166
A2229
Pts3835
aTOI 23:23 22:37
shTOI 2:15 1:54
ppTOI 2:08 1:56
P1/60.46.45
CF%47.752.99
RelCF%-2.16+2
xGF%46.5753.8
RelxGF% -3.54+3.73
iPen+1 -11+9
ZSR 41.4847.98
TOI%36.6136.71
TOI%QoT 29.5227.87
TOI%QoC 29.5228.94
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So, what conclusions can we draw from these numbers? For one, it's simply false to say that there no advanced stats metrics that say Parayko is a better defender. It's also highly questionable to claim that he isn't a better passer or shooter or that Parayko is more physical than Ekblad.

Digging deeper, the numbers indicate to me that Ekblad played more minutes with significantly better teammates against tougher competition. Both players were relied on to play significant PK minutes, with a slight edge to Ekblad in average total minutes and PP minutes. It's interesting that Parayko actually played a higher percentage of the Blues 5v5 minutes than Ekblad played for the panthers. Ekblad's 5v5 ZSR is low meaning he started in the defensive end very often, and he played against tougher QoC, which indicates that his 5v5 minutes were tougher than Parayko's. However, it's worth mentioning that Ekblad also played with much better QoT, meaning that while his competition might've been tougher than Parayko's, the players around his were also much better.

While Ekblad scored way more goals and slightly more points, it's telling that both players scored nearly identical P1/60. This would indicate that at 5v5, both players had a very similar impact offensively. Ekblad's 5v5 shooting percentage was 6.98%, while Parayko's was 1.22%. I would guess that Parayko's 1.22% shooting percentage indicates that he was a bit unlucky 5v5 (FWIW my personal eye test backs up this conclusion).

Now, looking at the possession metrics, Parayko blows Ekblad out of the water. It's not even close. Their relative stats all favor Parayko, as do CF and xGF. Parayko also drew 9 more penalties than he took, while Ekblad took 11 more penalties than he drew.

All of this actually ignores the most compelling actual indication that Parayko is better than Ekblad. The past 2 times that Parayko and Ekblad have been on the same team in international competition, Ekblad started out at the #1RD on the team. Both times, Parayko has ended the tournament as the #1RD. Granted, at the world cup, we can't say for certain what would have happened if Ekblad hadn't gotten injured. Whether or not the injuries should count against Ekblad is up for debate. However, at the world championships, anyone who watched can tell you that Parayko outplayed Ekblad (even if Ekblad got an award as one of the 3 best players on team Canada).

Regarding possession metrics, Yandle is the puck carrier when Ekblad is on the ice. This is may be why you see such a low number. International ice surface may benefit Parayko's speed thus causing him to be better on that surface. It doesn't offer any credence as to Parayko being the better NHL player which in my opinion is the only thing worth arguing for or against here. Any thing that happens internationally IMO is not worthwhile evidence for either player being better or worse, they use a different ice surface, play different roles among many other factors..

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Ekblad has higher potential but I like the stability with Parayko. At his worst he's a #3D with potential of becoming one of the best #2D in the NHL. Ekblad has true #1D potential but has been too inconsistent.
Parayko is 6'5 with a massive frame and a better skater with 104 MPH shot. More than sound defensively and very skilled for his size and has top notch puck moving ability....and Ekblad as higher potential...

Ekblad was the safe pick before the injuries. Parayko is the easy pick now.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Most dissapointing defenseman at the tournament. Terrible first step, couldn't make a proper first pass , constantly getting beat along the boards, soft muffin floaters on the power play.

Sounds familiar unfortunately.

I really hope he is working on his skating right now.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
This is a bizarre interpretation of possession stats.

I meant to say that when Ekblad is on the ice he doesn’t drive the play forward, it’s usually Yandle who does that. Therefore Ekblads possession statistics are more indicative of the teams contributions (Yandle) than Ekblad’s personal contributions. Possession is determined by the player carrying the puck and Ekblad isn’t tasked with that responsibility it goes to Yandle as he is the better puck carrier. Yandle carries/pinches while Ekblad stays back. I hope that’s a better explanation of what I was trying to say.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Parayko is an ox but he's the type of dude that says "good call sir" after being penalized. He's almost too polite when he's with the media - its unsettling.

He'd be so much more imposing if he played a slightly meaner game and took the initiative a bit more offensively. More confidence and passion would make this guy truly special.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Ekblad isn't a great passer, in the O-zone he ignores way too many passes to take a shot. Potvin always though goes on and on about his shots on net.

Skating is a damm important part for a #1D-man these days, Ekblads been beaten by a Sedin in a skating race.
I'd also take Parayoko for a D-zone draw over Ekblad.
Skating, passing, D-zone Parayoko over Ekblad, scoring goals for Ekblad over Parayoko.

If Ekblad fixes his skating this is a landslide. Now the problem is, he hasn’t.

That's really my issue with him, all the potential in the World but hasn't been able to do a thing for his skating.

Barkov- Ekblad looked like one of the best young duo's to build around few years ago, not that's a massive ? due to Ekblad's skating.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Actually most advanced metrics like Parayko more than Ekblad, lol. Like for example GAR, where Parayko is the 23rd best dman in the league and Ekblad is nowhere to be seen.

1BE8CC2A-EDB7-4FDB-A9BB-CC6442B646B2.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad