Post-Game Talk: Paper advertisements @ framed championship photos, 7:37pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I just don't get it. If the referee didn't see what happened, for all he knows the guy hit himself in the face with his own stick. If you don't see the penalty you can't call it. They know that too, so it has to be a game management thing.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
All reasonable observations/ideas. So is my #51 response above. Then you have people here, most that I respect, that will say your view is an "overreaction". At this point I'm not sure what's going on :huh: Another few games like this and your view s/be carrying the day.

See, this is the problem. The Caps know that against most teams, like tonight, they need to play about 20 mins worth of decent hockey to win more than enough games to make playoffs. A bunch of stinkers along the way don't really change that calculus.

So... there's no real motivation - at least compared to the opponents that want to measure themselves against the champs.

The only aspect that's a bit surprising to me is the lack of consistent energy from the 4th line. IMO, those guys should always be playing like their pants are on fire, because they should always be in heavy competition for a place on the roster. Guys like DSP and Stephenson seem to be too complacent too often.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I just don't get it. If the referee didn't see what happened, for all he knows the guy hit himself in the face with his own stick. If you don't see the penalty you can't call it. They know that too, so it has to be a game management thing.
When penalties are even, yes, they do that.

Jun 15, 2007
See, this is the problem. The Caps know that against most teams, like tonight, they need to play about 20 mins worth of decent hockey to win more than enough games to make playoffs. A bunch of stinkers along the way don't really change that calculus.

So... there's no real motivation - at least compared to the opponents that want to measure themselves against the champs.

The only aspect that's a bit surprising to me is the lack of consistent energy from the 4th line. IMO, those guys should always be playing like their pants are on fire, because they should always be in heavy competition for a place on the roster. Guys like DSP and Stephenson seem to be too complacent too often.
I really think that GMBM promised DSP he wouldn't be scratched for taking the contract.

For a guy to come in out of shape and not be better than Jaskin/Dowd/Boyd yet still not earn any scratches is pretty bad for those guys' morale.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I really think that GMBM promised DSP he wouldn't be scratched for taking the contract.

For a guy to come in out of shape and not be better than Jaskin/Dowd/Boyd yet still not earn any scratches is pretty bad for those guys' morale.

Yeah, I think it's possible, hard to explain otherwise.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Vrana is so important to the Caps. His speed adds a totally different dimension. We look a pretty pedestrian and slow team without him IMO. He's awesome. Difference maker.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
We might be the worst faceoff team in the league. We are especially brutal tonight with Backstrom out.
For any who did not already listen to it or were unaware of it, the “31 thoughts” podcast with an interview of beagle is worth listening to. He discusses a bunch of interesting subjects, including his approach to face-offs, Bergeron’s dominance in face-offs, his favorite Caps coach of all time (Hunter), his relationship with Wilson and Carlson, his move to Canucks, etc. What an admirable, likable guy. Great interview.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Vrana is so important to the Caps. His speed adds a totally different dimension. We look a pretty pedestrian and slow team without him IMO. He's awesome. Difference maker.

Yeah, the way Vrana and Wilson have emerged, basically at the same time, as perfect top-6 complements to the slowing old guard has been a medium-sized sports miracle.

Reactions: RandyHolt

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
That's what I'm saying. Nobody paying enough attention to it now but it can cost a close game or two in the playoffs.

Can offer Detroit something for Glendening, if you are comfortable having him around for a couple more seasons. Grab that Jensen dude while you there, too.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
For any who did not already listen to it or were unaware of it, the “31 thoughts” podcast with an interview of beagle is worth listening to. He discusses a bunch of interesting subjects, including his approach to face-offs, Bergeron’s dominance in face-offs, his favorite Caps coach of all time (Hunter), his relationship with Wilson and Carlson, his move to Canucks, etc. What an admirable, likable guy. Great interview.

No wonder he liked Hunter he played him as if he was top-line center. Ridiculous.

Reactions: Silky mitts

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
That's what I'm saying. Nobody paying enough attention to it now but it can cost a close game or two in the playoffs.
Ive noticed our lack of faceoff wins all season. Backstrom is our only center over 50% and Stephenson is the only winger.
Ive always felt Kuzy was one oif the cwirst in the league in faceoffs. Bad thing is he isn't even the worst in the team. Boyd is even worse. I dont understand why Reirden isnt using Stephenson to take more draws

Jun 15, 2007
Isn't it a proven fact that being good at playoffs result in only a few extra goals per season?

Rather upgrade our wingers or bottom pairing.

Reactions: Silky mitts
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad