Post-Game Talk: Panthers win 6-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Maybe just a little warm this season, but I think he gets another coach before it gets hot.

Needs either a big turnaround next season or a very promising looking start to the rebuild/retool.

It will be interesting. Next season can’t flop or the big heads will role IMO.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maybe just a little warm this season, but I think he gets another coach before it gets hot.

Needs either a big turnaround next season or a very promising looking start to the rebuild/retool.

It will be interesting. Next season can’t flop or the big heads will role IMO.

I hope this audit gives ownership a clear picture on what needs to be done. If the findings indicate that a management change is needed the I hope Mark inacts one.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don’t think they have next season to get it under control. They have way to many fans feeling apathetic towards the team due to underperforming the last few seasons. They need to make some pretty drastic moves this offseason to prove to fans it’s not just status quo.
Oh I agree. As I mentioned this team can’t afford another season like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: leer2006

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
i understand the disdain for our team system and whatnot. but riddle me this....

if this org thought the system was failing them why keep the same guy for nearly 10 years in Maurice?

then maurice quits, they double-down with the same system & whatnot w/ D. Lowry? we had 65% of the year left when Lowry was appointed coach, plenty of time to turn it around. then consider the pre-season expectations, hype, transactions, limited fans the year prior etc this was an all important year to mail it in at that point.

It's kind of disheartening to now conclude that there were probably few, if any occasions, where Chevy was uncomfortable with decisions being made by Maurice !! And I wanted so much to believe otherwise.

It seems that Chevy has badly mis-judged the competence of those within the org who gave him advice on hockey operations type issues. Put that together with a relatively limited personal background on team building and operations, and you.ve got a dicey situation.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's kind of disheartening to now conclude that there were probably few, if any occasions, where Chevy was uncomfortable with decisions being made by Maurice !! And I wanted so much to believe otherwise.

It seems that Chevy has badly mis-judged the competence of those within the org who gave him advice on hockey operations type issues. Put that together with a relatively limited personal background on team building and operations, and you.ve got a dicey situation.

I mean Chevy built numerous championship caliber teams in the AHL. You would think he'd know how to translate that aspect to the NHL even if he had only served a couple AGM years in Chicago.

I think the issue is this org has too many old school types in the decision making process and can't adapt to the new NHL game. It took them way too long on the dmen drafting front and it seems it is taking them long on the new style of play and roster configuration aspect.

We need some skilled players and some progressive thinking in the org.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I mean Chevy built numerous championship caliber teams in the AHL. You would think he'd know how to translate that aspect to the NHL even if he had only served a couple AGM years in Chicago.

I think the issue is this org has too many old school types in the decision making process and can't adapt to the new NHL game. It took them way too long on the dmen drafting front and it seems it is taking them long on the new style of play and roster configuration aspect.

We need some skilled players and some progressive thinking in the org.
Yes, he had success with the Chicago Wolves in the AHL for sure. But the AHL is sometimes difficult to interpret - some ownerships build teams with the objective of winning (emphasis on older pros), while some ownerships build teams to serve player developmental needs (emphasis on prospects). I`m not sure exactly where the Wolves were during this time frame.

I agree very much with your comment re pervasive old school thinking in the org. But regrettably, Chevy himself comes with some of this baggage ( don't forget, he was a large=bodied, somewhat physical D of limited skill himself in his playing days).haha

Reactions: ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes, he had success with the Chicago Wolves in the AHL for sure. But the AHL is sometimes difficult to interpret - some ownerships build teams with the objective of winning (emphasis on older pros), while some ownerships build teams to serve player developmental needs (emphasis on prospects). I`m not sure exactly where the Wolves were during this time frame.

I agree very much with your comment re pervasive old school thinking in the org. But regrettably, Chevy himself comes with some of this baggage ( don't forget, he was a large=bodied, somewhat physical D of limited skill himself in his playing days).haha

Oh absolutely, he has that same blue collar grinding mindset. There isn't anything wrong with having some of those types in the org as hard work and sacrifice are needed to win but you also need get the most out of your skilled players. This org has been devoid of that type of thinking in its hockey opps area.

I have long since thought this org needed to be on the forefront of trends to have success given its market size and constraints but they have just really doubled down on a lunch pail old school thought process.

Reactions: ecolad

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Getting a bit crazy to be suggesting Chevy values grinders.... he could have easily grabbed Ritchie instead of Ehlers in the draft... White or E-Ek over Connor... etc

It looks like the Jets scouting camp has split into two - just a laymans observation - one value big non-scoring D with homerun potential and the other likes undersized puckmoving D..

We have Lucius, Chib, Perfetti - Chevy chose Perfetti because of Lundell's goalscoring questions imo... so I don't really see how we are over-focused on grinders.

A GM still has to work with his coach year by year - guaranteed Sutter asked for Toffoli - Maurice is as old school as you can get, thats how Beau gets re-signed...

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Sure seems that many players that have left this team are happy where they are and are thriving.
I haven’t watch much of Columbus but Roslovic probably going to hit 40 points.

Is he still a center? Because he’d look good on third line getting 15 minutes a night.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Getting a bit crazy to be suggesting Chevy values grinders.... he could have easily grabbed Ritchie instead of Ehlers in the draft... White or E-Ek over Connor... etc

It looks like the Jets scouting camp has split into two - just a laymans observation - one value big non-scoring D with homerun potential and the other likes undersized puckmoving D..

We have Lucius, Chib, Perfetti - Chevy chose Perfetti because of Lundell's goalscoring questions imo... so I don't really see how we are over-focused on grinders.

A GM still has to work with his coach year by year - guaranteed Sutter asked for Toffoli - Maurice is as old school as you can get, thats how Beau gets re-signed...

Thats not what most are getting at. It's that our coaches and Chevy have valued an old school roster composition and style of play. Chevy most certainly values skill early in the draft as he is smart enough to know that that is his best chance of getting it in Winnipeg.

The issues are that his coaching staffs do not put in place a system that is conducive of getting the most of that skill. Our coaches are too busy trying to get our skilled and creative players we draft to fit the old school mold they want them to play then to actually asses the roster ans build something for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad