Post-Game Talk: Panthers win 6-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Had the fun house party so the game was on with no sound which is how I prefer it. The game was over before it started. Complete epic beat down. Some nights a team has no answer the the Jets got pounded from the get go. I really enjoy watching this Panthers team.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
according to the article MM in FP today, it sounds like the players are uncoachable(and if that is why PoMo quit..).....and if that is so, it makes what has to be done a lot easier in the offseason!
Maurice had been telling media and fans alike that many players did not need to be coached any longer. KFC got his check mark as not needing coaching anymore before Maurice jumped ship. Maurice's coaching style allowed many poor habits to creep into Jet's players games.

As many have said we play a system that either does not work or does not work with the style of players we have. Are the players not coachable or are they simply not able to play the system the coach has designed for them to play? We all know a way to fnd out. Replace the coach and the system. Lowry had a chance to replace the systems but did not take any risk and got the same results or worse from the team than Maurice did. Lowry blew his chance to become an NHL head coach because he was so risk averse in making any major systems changes.

I think the players may have welcomed a new approach when the coaching change was made but all they got was Maurice lite in Lowry.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Ehlers telling it like it is in the post game interview.

"Captain" Wheeler is a no show again.

I really like Ehlers, the dude is a warrior.

Coelacanth of the game, Nik Ehlers.

1113IL_FT_COE_03_gb_edit-web.jpg

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Lol he hired one guy and Chevy despite his shortcomings has been a pretty good GM. You're acting like he's hired 20 shitty GMs in a row or something
He’s been here 10 years and the Jets have been good for like 1.5 of them.

Reactions: GaryPoppins

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Seeing what Copp has done in New York makes me question whether Copp actually is a lot better than what he showed here with our 1990’s coaching strategies!

Oh Sip you have been one of the biggest Copp bashers :laugh:

He was solid here Sip he just wasn’t as slick offensively as some of our one dimensional players. He is playing with Panarin in New York and that is going to help any players numbers. Copp is a perfect to 9 Forward in any NHL system that doesn’t run a top 6 bottom 6 still. He was good enough to be in our top 6 because he could actually play a 200 foot game well as opposed to most of our top 6 forwards who all want to be soccer strikers that don’t defend.

Either way I am happy for Copp he was undervalued at contract time at every turn in Winnipeg until he escaped. I hope he gets paid this off season but we’ll see.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Seeing what Copp has done in New York makes me question whether Copp actually is a lot better than what he showed here with our 1990’s coaching strategies!

Given what we've seen and heard about how they assess player roles I wouldn't be surprised at all if any time he's tried playing an offensive game they've reigned him in to the detriment of both aspects, offensive and defensively. Any time he was elevated to the top 6 prior to these last 2 seasons it's always felt like they wanted him to cover for defensive flaws in other players' games.

Reactions: sipowicz and rkp

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Maurice had been telling media and fans alike that many players did not need to be coached any longer. KFC got his check mark as not needing coaching anymore before Maurice jumped ship. Maurice's coaching style allowed many poor habits to creep into Jet's players games.

As many have said we play a system that either does not work or does not work with the style of players we have. Are the players not coachable or are they simply not able to play the system the coach has designed for them to play? We all know a way to fnd out. Replace the coach and the system. Lowry had a chance to replace the systems but did not take any risk and got the same results or worse from the team than Maurice did. Lowry blew his chance to become an NHL head coach because he was so risk averse in making any major systems changes.

I think the players may have welcomed a new approach when the coaching change was made but all they got was Maurice lite in Lowry.

PMo was such a unique cat. He was like a slick WWE character and half the time with Paul it was a work and half the time it was a shoot but it was tough to figure out when he was just bullshitting. That inteview where he said Connor didn’t need to be coached defensively while simultaneously throwing Nik under the bus by doing cryptic non response on his skills was vintage Paul the player pleaser. Nobody new how to suck up to the player power base better than Paul and that leads to long tenures even with average results. There is a reason Paul lasted so long at each stop as a coach, he new the political dynamics so well.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011

After listening to Hustler/Hamilton its gonna take more than a coaching change........and who is gonna want to come here and be a coach of a team where 2 of the top players do their own thing and run the dressing room....would be surprised that this situation about the team isnt known league wide.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
After listening to Hustler/Hamilton its gonna take more than a coaching change........and who is gonna want to come here and be a coach of a team where 2 of the top players do their own thing and run the dressing room....would be surprised that this situation about the team isnt known league wide.

You move one of those two out as well and give the leadership to JoMo, Dubois, Ehlers etc.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Easy for me to say behind this screen but it still surprises me that, a) the Jets held onto Maurice so long; and, b) Maurice has coached as many games as he has at the NHL level, when the schemes he deployed here in the past few seasons were so horrifically, shockingly, embarrassingly bad. Couple that with his, let’s put it kindly, head-scratching lineup decisions, and I greatly question if a high school hockey coach could’ve gotten more out of this team.
Like Martin St.louis?

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Before any moves are made management and coaching decisions have to be made first, no brainer that the whole coaching staff needs to go nobody stays and the new HC gets to have who he wants beside him nobody else. As for Chevy I think it's time to cut him loose and restart this teams path and if this happens he should be the first to go so the new GM can pick the next HC. As for Scheifele and Wheeler that would be up to the new regime to set them straight you either buy in or you go. The teams biggest problem going forward is the D and that will take time to fix.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i understand the disdain for our team system and whatnot. but riddle me this....

if this org thought the system was failing them why keep the same guy for nearly 10 years in Maurice?

then maurice quits, they double-down with the same system & whatnot w/ D. Lowry? we had 65% of the year left when Lowry was appointed coach, plenty of time to turn it around. then consider the pre-season expectations, hype, transactions, limited fans the year prior etc this was an all important year to mail it in at that point.

Reactions: ecolad and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
i understand the disdain for our team system and whatnot. but riddle me this....

if this org thought the system was failing them why keep the same guy for nearly 10 years in Maurice?

then maurice quits, they double-down with the same system & whatnot w/ D. Lowry? we had 65% of the year left when Lowry was appointed coach, plenty of time to turn it around. then consider the pre-season expectations, hype, transactions, limited fans the year prior etc this was an all important year to mail it in at that point.

I think the org clearly thought their schemes and systems and everything was correct and that with COViD mostly over they could get back to normalcy and things would work out. Well things crashed and burned and ownership is now thoroughly looking at everything to figure it out. Generally when things fail so bad is when real change happens. One can argue management should have had a much better handle on how things were going though and it's cost us a year or two. Honestly if I were Chipman I'd be cleaning house and starting new.

I think Maurice stayed too long for the reasons @ps241 stated, he knows who to form strong relationships with in the org and that gives him greater job security.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think the org clearly thought their schemes and systems and everything was correct and that with COViD mostly over they could get back to normalcy and things would work out. Well things crashed and burned and ownership is now thoroughly looking at everything to figure it out. Generally when things fail so bad is when real change happens. One can argue management should have had a much better handle on how things were going though and it's cost us a year or two. Honestly if I were Chipman I'd be cleaning house and starting new.

I think Maurice stayed too long for the reasons @ps241 stated, he knows who to form strong relationships with in the org and that gives him greater job security.
Yeah perhaps they learned from their mistakes. However we see how stubborn nhl organizations, management etc can be.

Reactions: surixon

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So if Chevy gets canned why should we think Chipman will get the hire right?

I don't think there is much chance of Chevy getting canned before this time next year - if that. I think a 5 year extension is more likely than a firing, if I was into betting.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My impression of that game was not so much that Jets were that bad as it was that Panthers were that much better.
Agree?
Disagree?

Assuming that is correct, or anywhere close, it illustrates just how far Jets have to go to be among the contenders. It is a long way.

I was thinking that Fla had not been very good for a long time until last year. Then they started to compete with mostly the same roster. So I went and compared the current roster with the 2020 roster.

The core may be mostly the same but there has been a lot of change in just 2 years!
out​
In​
Hoffman​
Reinhart​
Dadonov​
Duclair​
Yandle (still good)​
Bennett​
Trocheck​
Verhaeghe​
Connolly​
Marchment​
Matheson​
Lundell​
Stralman​
Forsling​
Pysyk​
Montour​
Sceviour​
Hornqvist​
Boyle​
Luostarinen​
Malgin​
Lomberg​
Toninato​
Giroux​
Brown​
Gudas​
Stillman​
That is not an absolutely complete list, but it must be pretty close.

There are some decent players gone. There are some very good ones added. Some of those were not all that good before arriving in Fla, eg: Bennett, Marchment and maybe 1 or 2 others.

Someone is doing a very good job of team building there and the coaching must be on target too.

So I will reiterate, we have a long way to go. It might involve some pain.

Reactions: surixon and ps241

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

As I said a couple months ago, time for Chevy to go. He clearly supports this bullshit hockey, did nothing but enable it afaic.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't think there is much chance of Chevy getting canned before this time next year - if that. I think a 5 year extension is more likely than a firing, if I was into betting.
I have long felt Chevy was very safe but this season has been a disaster and I think any owner has to stop and wonder, even a loyalty guy like Mark. I think Chevy’s seat is now warm at best and maybe the seat is getting hot. Next season is very important for Chevy (most likely), Mark, and this organization . They need to get a handle on the situation that has spiraled out of control.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have long felt Chevy was very safe but this season has been a disaster and I think any owner has to stop and wonder, even a loyalty guy like Mark. I think Chevy’s seat is now warm at best and maybe the seat is getting hot. Next season is very important for Chevy (most likely), Mark, and this organization . They need to get a handle on the situation that has spiraled out of control.

Maybe just a little warm this season, but I think he gets another coach before it gets hot.

Needs either a big turnaround next season or a very promising looking start to the rebuild/retool.

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
I don’t think they have next season to get it under control. They have way to many fans feeling apathetic towards the team due to underperforming the last few seasons. They need to make some pretty drastic moves this offseason to prove to fans it’s not just status quo.

Reactions: surixon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad