Post-Game Talk: Panthers win 6-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Love seeing Josh showing he cares at the end…..really impressed with him even though the season has been over for a long time. He’s showing good leadership

I missed the game as it was on NHLNetwork but what went down at the end? Saw Apples get in a tussle at the buzzer.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Our D is really bad -
It's so bad that we gave Pionk $6M / yr and brought in Smitty at almost the same number -
Both are useless defenders - yet we paid them anyway - we were (and are) that desperate.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Easy for me to say behind this screen but it still surprises me that, a) the Jets held onto Maurice so long; and, b) Maurice has coached as many games as he has at the NHL level, when the schemes he deployed here in the past few seasons were so horrifically, shockingly, embarrassingly bad. Couple that with his, let’s put it kindly, head-scratching lineup decisions, and I greatly question if a high school hockey coach could’ve gotten more out of this team.

I personally think we got to a point where we were a team constructed in a way that Moe wasn't comfortable with so he put the clamps down instead of embracing the more creative nature of the group.

He seems to be at his best when he has a bunch of north/south gritty players that he is comfortable running his aggressive 2-1-2 forecheck and grind and cycle game with. The years we did our best was when he had a number of those types. He had a first line driven by Wheeler who did this and an elite shut down line that he ran hard that embodied that in 17-18. 14-15 he had these guys in Ladd, Wheeler, Lowry etc.

He has a real issue with players that like to use more east west motion in their games like Ehlers and Laine when he first got here. He spent so much time trying to change these guys while neglecting the players who played in the manner he wanted.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I missed the game as it was on NHLNetwork but what went down at the end? Saw Apples get in a tussle at the buzzer.

Just a bit of rough stuff between Apples & a guy. Plus Josh dropped his gloves and wanted to go with a Panther but the guy didn’t want to fight….good to see the fire & pride in Josh.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Our D is really bad -
It's so bad that we gave Pionk $6M / yr and brought in Smitty at almost the same number -
Both are useless defenders - yet we paid them anyway - we were (and are) that desperate.

I mean Schmidt had a lot of success on good teams in Vegas and Washington. Dillion had a lot of success prior to getting here. Are these players actually that bad individually or are things so much of a giant cluster f*** that almost everyone looks awful?

I don't honestly know how much of it is shit systems or shit players. Likely some combination of both but I really don't know what we can actually do other then bring in a new coach with a completely different scheme and see if it gets some of these guys back on track. If you can move out a Pionk or Schmidt then you go for it I think but I doubt we will be able to get that grade A all around RD we need unless we move Scheifele. That one piece would help JoMo on the top pairing and allow DeMelo to stabalize the third. We'd then need to hope one of our kids plus one of Schmidt/Pionk can form a good second pairing.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I personally think we got to a point where we were a team constructed in a way that Moe wasn't comfortable with so he put the clamps down instead of embracing the more creative nature of the group.

He seems to be at his best when he has a bunch of north/south gritty players that he is comfortable running his aggressive 2-1-2 forecheck and grind and cycle game with. The years we did our best was when he had a number of those types. He had a first line driven by Wheeler who did this and an elite shut down line that he ran hard that embodied that in 17-18. 14-15 he had these guys in Ladd, Wheeler, Lowry etc.

He has a real issue with players that like to use more east west motion in their games like Ehlers and Laine when he first got here. He spent so much time trying to change these guys while neglecting the players who played in the manner he wanted.
I agree - well said, surixon. That’s why we pay you the big bucks.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I mean Schmidt had a lot of success on good teams in Vegas and Washington. Dillion had a lot of success prior to getting here. Are these players actually that bad individually or are things so much of a giant cluster f*** that almost everyone looks awful?

I don't honestly know how much of it is shit systems or shit players. Likely some combination of both but I really don't know what we can actually do other then bring in a new coach with a completely different scheme and see if it gets some of these guys back on track. If you can move out a Pionk or Schmidt then you go for it I think but I doubt we will be able to get that grade A all around RD we need unless we move Scheifele. That one piece would help JoMo on the top pairing and allow DeMelo to stabalize the third. We'd then need to hope one of our kids plus one of Schmidt/Pionk can form a good second pairing.
I’m willing to be patient on Pionk. He was very good his first two seasons here. He essentially outperformed Trouba while being much less expensive.

He got his big contract this off-season and now he’s had a rough year, but I think he can, and he will, bounce back.

Reactions: rubikscube

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Lowry bitching about the team not playing straight line hockey because its not pretty. Has this group not been paying attention.... We don't have the same players and player types as in 2014-2018.

If this team was actually paying attention it would know that it isn't straight line hockey that is beating us. It is switches and movement that is pulling our team defense way out of position and creating havoc. No good team just plays in simple straight lines anymore. Every good team uses motion (N/S and E/W) once in the ozone to create havoc and here we are just trying to get pucks deep and maintain control in a simplistic low cycle to open up a point shot with a body or two in front.

There is a time and place for direct hockey but once the puck is in the ozone then you need to let your players use their skill to and intuition to create offense.

This organization is so far behind where hockey is right now and where it is heading. I honestly think there needs to be a full purge and a bunch of forward thinking people need to be brought in.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Asked 2 months ago who I liked to win the Stanley Cup I said the Florida Panthers. They are still my pick. Watching the replay, I like Dylan Samberg's game. I like Adam Lowry's battle level. Josh Morrissey was good on the PK, I thought. Otherwise reality is this team is eliminated next week, and has a decent chance of qualifying as the #13 team on the draft lottery board. Hope the team is enjoying Florida off the ice.

Reactions: Guardian17

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Had the fun house party so the game was on with no sound which is how I prefer it. The game was over before it started. Some nights a team has no answer and the Jets got pounded from the get go. I really enjoy watching this Panthers team.

Reactions: rkp

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
Easy for me to say behind this screen but it still surprises me that, a) the Jets held onto Maurice so long; and, b) Maurice has coached as many games as he has at the NHL level, when the schemes he deployed here in the past few seasons were so horrifically, shockingly, embarrassingly bad. Couple that with his, let’s put it kindly, head-scratching lineup decisions, and I greatly question if a high school hockey coach could’ve gotten more out of this team.
It’s the NHL recycling coaches at its finest. Why take a risk on someone new who thinks outside of the box. When you can have slightly used retread of a coach who has never won anything.
NHL teams love hiring known coaching commodities. Whether good or bad.

Reactions: Al Camino

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Florida is a good team , we aren't. Man we've had a few times this season now where we are playing pretty good without Wheeler then Wheeler comes back and we play like crap . It's concerning.

Reactions: rkp and Guardian17

Monty9

Jul 5, 2021
I’m willing to be patient on Pionk. He was very good his first two seasons here. He essentially outperformed Trouba while being much less expensive.

He got his big contract this off-season and now he’s had a rough year, but I think he can, and he will, bounce back.
Pionk has had far more defensively horrible seasons then good…he is back to his NYR train wreck days with glimpses of some offence. He needs to go asap.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Probably because players aren't stupid. They gave up on the schemes and systems Moe used and then Lowry came right in and kept the same systems. I am honestly still floored that he didn't bring in his own vision for this group. That is generally why coaching changes work, not only is it a fresh person giving the message but the message is usually different. If the players didn't believe in the schemes under Maurice then they weren't going to believe in them coming from one of his assistants.
Because Lowry is a Dollarstore Paul Maurice. Same systems, poorer communication.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016

Schmidt can’t be THE guy. He needs to be a complimentary piece. That’s the difference between us/Vancouver and Vegas

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I missed the game, sounds like I didn't miss much.

The best use of the rest of the season is to play the youth and see what we've got. I can get behind that.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Samberg had a really bad game.

Also, you know what? I get it. Maybe Svechnikov wouldn't be good on the powerplay. Can we at least give it a shot? What the absolute f*** has Sanford done to be able to walk right onto it when Svech has never gotten a chance?

Appleton should be moving down the lineup, not up.
Appleton has shown squat since his return, no wonder Seattle gave up on hims so easily, and some here thought he would actually be top 6 with the Kraken When he was picked!

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
according to the article MM in FP today, it sounds like the players are uncoachable(and if that is why PoMo quit..).....and if that is so, it makes what has to be done a lot easier in the offseason!

Reactions: Guardian17

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Love seeing Josh showing he cares at the end…..really impressed with him even though the season has been over for a long time. He’s showing good leadership
the fact that a player making 8M this year simply playing average hockey is impressive to you as good leadership, shows how porous this group is

Reactions: rkp

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
So if Chevy gets canned why should we think Chipman will get the hire right?
Lol he hired one guy and Chevy despite his shortcomings has been a pretty good GM. You're acting like he's hired 20 shitty GMs in a row or something

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Yeah but Maurice was such a great talker, it didn’t even sound like complete bullshit coming out of his mouth when it usually was, friggin Maurice could talk himself out of a Russian prison!

Last edited:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Lowry bitching about the team not playing straight line hockey because its not pretty. Has this group not been paying attention.... We don't have the same players and player types as in 2014-2018.

If this team was actually paying attention it would know that it isn't straight line hockey that is beating us. It is switches and movement that is pulling our team defense way out of position and creating havoc. No good team just plays in simple straight lines anymore. Every good team uses motion (N/S and E/W) once in the ozone to create havoc and here we are just trying to get pucks deep and maintain control in a simplistic low cycle to open up a point shot with a body or two in front.

There is a time and place for direct hockey but once the puck is in the ozone then you need to let your players use their skill to and intuition to create offense.

This organization is so far behind where hockey is right now and where it is heading. I honestly think there needs to be a full purge and a bunch of forward thinking people need to be brought in.
Seeing what Copp has done in New York makes me question whether Copp actually is a lot better than what he showed here with our 1990’s coaching strategies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad