Confirmed with Link: Panthers sign Barkov for 6 years, 5.9M AAV, 35.4M total

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
This is a fantastic deal! Hopefully Tallon looks like a King in a couple of years when he looks at Barkov's production compared to his salary. I read that it only took one day of negotiations to get done. It shows that Barkov really wants to stay in South Florida and build the team into a winner very soon.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
giphy.gif

its moments like these i am thankful for KellyR

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Something tells me that Dale cares about character after watching that conference.

ZamBroni

Dec 15, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale
There's no limit on salaries per year, as long as the ownership is fine with it.

That's a common trick how rich and popular teams attract UFAs, they frontload the contracts or/and give huge signing bonuses.

Ah ok makes sense. So is the cap hit 5.9 mil every year?

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Success breeds success.

Hard to believe that the guy would be regressing at 25. E.g. Selanne was believed to be done with hockey after playing with the Sharks and Avs for reasons that overlap somewhat with that of Stamkos.

Selanne WOULD have been done without lockout saving his career such as KHL doing same for Jagr for different reason.

Irzi

Jan 2, 2016
Just one of those moments

This is one of the things I feel makes Panthers something great as a team. The commitment of the players to the team. Atleast for me, it seems that this deal is a cornerstone for the coming deals of the promising young players. If Barky goes for 5,9 average for 6 years, possibly only Ekblad could ask for more. It almost feels like Barky took one for the team just to have a chance to go for that cup in the next 1-5 years. Ofcourse, it's only 6 years but to be honest, I wouldn't have felt bad if they signed him for 6 years at close to 7m average. If the others want to follow his lead and sign for -5-15% of the market value, we really could have something special going on here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad