Pre-Game Talk: Panthers @ "Monster Phil" and the Leafs Jan 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
He's done a good job fixing this mess and he had the good fortune of getting a healthy Tim Thomas and a healthier Bergeinheim back when took over but his little head games with the players doesn't sit well with me and his non chalance with our power play problems also is disturbing. He deserves his share of credit for this team having the worst power play in probably history if we keep it up.

That record of his looks to be getting worse if we keep it up by the way and it could look like Dineens by the time the season is
over.

I'm not sure I understand this. You are assuming waaaayyyy too much about things you could'nt possibly know.
Flash was benched tonight right?

Erick*

thats been my point today.

I have to laugh at the thought of signing him now.

thank god Tallon is at the helm. He dismissed any idea of renewing him tip seasons ned.

Theres 30 games left, maybe he will earn his keep.

But the jury is still out, for the reason many have stated.

I agree with this.

Although I'm no longer "thanking god" that Tallon is at the helm. This mess is his after all.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Why would you pick out his record over 16 games instead of just using the full sample of games? Shouldn't he be evaluated on the totality of his work? :help:

And who cares if he's not overly emotional? A coach acting like an idiot with referees doesn't win hockey games.

It the LAST 16 games, not any 16 games dude. Does that help?

It shows we are trending right back to where we were in the beginning, does that help more?

It shows despite Thomas carrying us even that can't last forever.

Did i say a coach has to act like an idiot? is that what you think vociferous means?

:help::help:

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
Opposing fans laugh at our roster every time they see it.

How many coaches are going to get fired before we realize that the problem isn't the coach? If Tallon has to fire two coaches in the span of one season, shouldn't Tallon be fired too? These are the guys he wanted to coach his team. Horachek has done just fine. 18-17-3 with this team is pretty good.

The only bad thing is the PP. Scratches/starts is a matter of hindsight. For the most part, we've been pretty good 5-on-5 and the PK has improved over the past month or so. Systematically, there seem to be more positives than negatives. Maybe one of these years, the organization will provide the coach with good enough players instead of all of these overpaid "winners" who are actually just losers.

I understand that scratches are a matter of hindsight, but after last game he talked about how much we missed Gudbranson's physical presence and yet he still benched him today. His record may look good now but by the end of the year it will probably look pretty bad if we keep playing the way we have been. Also Tallon had to overpay these players at the time to get them to come here and get us to the cap floor and they still took us to Game 7 against the eventual East champs. 5on5 and the PK improving could be due to having a healthy TT and our PK has looked pretty bad the last 2 games with 3 goals combined.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Why would you pick out his record over 16 games instead of just using the full sample of games? Shouldn't he be evaluated on the totality of his work? :help:

And who cares if he's not overly emotional? A coach acting like an idiot with referees doesn't win hockey games.

Could you imagine Torts coaching this team? Good lord...

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
I agree with this.

Although I'm no longer "thanking god" that Tallon is at the helm. This mess is his after all.

it is time to get rid of those signings you are 100% right. flash kopy upshall etc, can all be replaced next year with FA's and trades. their purpose of filling the 3 - year gap is over.

your 100% right here.

Erick*

It shows we are trending right back to where we were in the beginning, does that help more?

Did i say a coach has to act like an idiot? is that what you think vociferous means?

You used to have the same issues with DeBoer. You don't like coaches who don't get angry when a call doesn't go their way. You're entitled to like what you like, but that's all pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
it is time to get rid of those signings you are 100% right. flash kopy upshall etc, can all be replaced next year with FA's and trades. their purpose of filling the 3 - year gap is over.

your 100% right here.

I agree that their time here is up, but at the time those signings were important to get us to the cap floor and fill the gap and they did their job pretty well.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
You used to have the same issues with DeBoer. You don't like coaches who don't get angry when a call doesn't go their way. You're entitled to like what you like, but that's all pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Your entitled to think passion behind the bench is irrelevant. Your entitled to opine what you wish as well.

It was one of 5 points i made.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
I agree that their time here is up, but at the time those signings were important to get us to the cap floor and fill the gap and they did their job pretty well.

Yes!

It was part of DT's blueprint.

I think the signings were awesome for the purpose they served.

I hope i didn't say anything otherwise.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL

I actually have no damn idea what vociferous means.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
I'm not sure I understand this. You are assuming waaaayyyy too much about things you could'nt possibly know.
Flash was benched tonight right?

Sure I know because I saw Matthias reaction to his benching and his total disagreement with it and Guds being sat after PH said he could go with his visor on and admitting how much his physicality was missed vs the bruins, yet he sits again? You think Guds is happy with that bs?

Flash and Huberdeau should have been benched long ago and that's the head game because PH targeted hard working players who give 100% and are not counted on to score while underachievers have gotten more of a pass.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
Yes!

It was part of DT's blueprint.

I think the signings were awesome for the purpose they served.

I hope i didn't say anything otherwise.

No, I was agreeing with you and making the point that while they might suck for us now, like everyone else seems to want to point out, they served their purpose pretty well.

Erick*

The signings were not that good.

When the end result of your signings is trading them and having to retain half their salaries, there's something wrong with your business.

Keep in mind that the reason why we were so far from the cap floor was because Tallon completely sold off the team the year before. It was his choice to do that. There were players he had at the time he was hired who would've been better choices to keep than some of the guys he signed. Tallon doesn't really deserve any sort of free pass. It's been 4 (or 3, I guess) years and all we have to show for it is one playoff appearance (barely) and consistent regression since. Regression is not good.

Furthermore, while some of his draft picks look good, some of his other draft picks seem to be regressing in extreme ways like Panthers of the past.

Nothing has really changed.

In the grand scheme of things, it's pretty sad that our best player is a 40-year-old goaltender.

Erick*

Sure I know because I saw Matthias reaction to his benching and his total disagreement with it and Guds being sat after PH said he could go with his visor on and admitting how much his physicality was missed vs the bruins, yet he sits again? You think Guds is happy with that bs?

Flash and Huberdeau should have been benched long ago and that's the head game because PH targeted hard working players who give 100% and are not counted on to score while underachievers have gotten more of a pass.

If Guds doesn't like it, he can always come back and play up to expectations for a change. And by expectations, I mean franchise defenseman. The guy he was drafted to be...

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
well it's sucking the life out of me too
An accurate representation of this season and this team in general.

tumblr_ll4uesebeh1qzhttno1_500.png

I should shop some Panther logos on to the Suck Cut.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
hes also 6-9-1 the last 16.

But we are a mediocre team so :

I expect 3 periods of hockey.

I expect Thomas in the net tonight, our best player.

I expect him to be more vociferous when we get lousy call after lousy call against us.

He's been fine, but I'm not impressed.

You can't cherry pick the record if you're going to assess a coach's performance.

Most nights we play hard for close to 60 minutes. Most teams, if not all, take nights off.

Thomas hasn't been that good lately. Clemmer has helped put us back on track before.

Being loud on the bench accomplishes nothing after a lousy call. Tort's temper adds no value.

Our team is crap. We have no talent. Our leading scorer has 25 points. We probably wont have a guy who breaks 50 points. What he's done with this roster is impressive.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
The signings were not that good.

When the end result of your signings is trading them and having to retain half their salaries, there's something wrong with your business.

Keep in mind that the reason why we were so far from the cap floor was because Tallon completely sold off the team the year before. It was his choice to do that. There were players he had at the time he was hired who would've been better choices to keep than some of the guys he signed. Tallon doesn't really deserve any sort of free pass. It's been 4 (or 3, I guess) years and all we have to show for it is one playoff appearance (barely) and consistent regression since. Regression is not good.

Furthermore, while some of his draft picks look good, some of his other draft picks seem to be regressing in extreme ways like Panthers of the past.

Nothing has really changed.

In the grand scheme of things, it's pretty sad that our best player is a 40-year-old goaltender.

They were here to fill a gap, they weren't going to play much more than 4 years here anyway. If we make the right signings this offseason and next, I see no reason why we shouldn't be a playoff team. Barkov and Bjugstad will get better, and hopefully Huberdeau will too. We will also have this year's draft pick (probably top 5) plus some of our young d-men (Guds, Petro, Matheson, Mccoshen). We seem to have a pretty good young core that is maybe 2-3 years away from being special, so why does it matter if the veteran gap fillers weren't a perennial playoff team.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
You can't cherry pick the record if you're going to ***** a coach's performance.

Most nights we play hard for close to 60 minutes. Most teams, if not all take nights off.

Thomas hasn't been that good lately. Clemmer has helped put us back on track before.

Being loud on the bench accomplishes nothing after a lousy call. Tort's temper adds no value.

Our team is crap. We have no talent. Our leading scorer has 25 points. We probably wont have a guy who breaks 50 points. What he's done with this roster is impressive.

Im not cherry picking these are our LAST 16 games, how we are trending. If he started the season and we had this record he'd be fired as well.

Thomas hasn't been good lately? oy vey aside from Boston, which game do you blame him?

Our team is crap i agree but i expect three periods of effort and ice the best team possible.

your welcome to be impressed, I am not. Your opinion that you would sign him now is yours, i respect that. But Adequate is the word i would use to describe PH. I wouldn't fire him of course, but Id like to see what our roster is and are options are this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad