#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
kessel-meme.jpg

tumblr_inline_mt8ziflwgg1qzpuwf.jpg

5idum.gif

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I'm going to this game, sad I won't see Barkov, I just hope I can see Thomas start for once. The Panthers almost always beat the Leafs (in recent years) so I think this is a very winnable game.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I wish this franchise would enlighten us on the status of the players. Lately, it has been a guessing game. Why lie about the Barkov injury? What is wrong with Huberdeau this year. He's completely different. Is he hurt? Was he just sheltered last season and now he's being exposed? What is the deal?

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Missed last game. Whats up with Guds? Benched? Really?

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Missed last game. Whats up with Guds? Benched? Really?

Who knows. Undoubtedly, the orbital bone injury has affected his game. Leads me to believe Horacheck is scratching Guddy to buy him some necessary recuperation time.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
I wish this franchise would enlighten us on the status of the players. Lately, it has been a guessing game. Why lie about the Barkov injury? What is wrong with Huberdeau this year. He's completely different. Is he hurt? Was he just sheltered last season and now he's being exposed? What is the deal?

Lol, how could he be exposed this year but not last year, when the team was just as bad, if not worse?

I think Hubey just lacks conditioning. He looks slow out there. I am sure his hip surgery has a lot to do with it. He lacks the foot speed and lower body strength IMO, and it really shows. If he doesn't come into training camp next season in a lot better condition, then I will worry.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Lol, how could he be exposed this year but not last year, when the team was just as bad, if not worse?

I think Hubey just lacks conditioning. He looks slow out there. I am sure his hip surgery has a lot to do with it. He lacks the foot speed and lower body strength IMO, and it really shows. If he doesn't come into training camp next season in a lot better condition, then I will worry.

Huberdeau was playing sheltered minutes last year. This year he's been matched up against the opposition's team's top line (until he started playing with Kopecky). That's why a lot fans on HF were upset that he won the Calder over a guy like Saad, who routinely played against better competition.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Huberdeau was playing sheltered minutes last year. This year he's been matched up against the opposition's team's top line (until he started playing with Kopecky). That's why a lot fans on HF were upset that he won the Calder over a guy like Saad, who routinely played against better competition.

was huberdeau actually sheltered last year though?

also, saad played against "better competition" but he didn't play with a career 4th liner and a rookie thats supposed to be in the AHL but played his way into the NHL

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
was huberdeau actually sheltered last year though?

also, saad played against "better competition" but he didn't play with a career 4th liner and a rookie thats supposed to be in the AHL but played his way into the NHL

That's the funny thing with Saad and most of the other rookies. They are all secondary scoring threats. Do you look at CHI's roster and say "hmm we need to contain Saad." No, he has 6-7 other players ahead of him that teams have to worry about. Hubey last year was the #1 or 2 threat for teams to contain. Same with this year, outside Monahan who has had the offensive burden like Barkov?

Seriously I can't begin to understand why some posters are doubting Hubey or even discrediting his Calder?! No one in that class could handle the load like he did last season, he made his teammates better and for a few games he dictated our offense too. If you can't see his talent then well I don't know what to say then.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
That's the funny thing with Saad and most of the other rookies. They are all secondary scoring threats. Do you look at CHI's roster and say "hmm we need to contain Saad." No, he has 6-7 other players ahead of him that teams have to worry about. Hubey last year was the #1 or 2 threat for teams to contain. Same with this year, outside Monahan who has had the offensive burden like Barkov?

Seriously I can't begin to understand why some posters are doubting Hubey or even discrediting his Calder?! No one in that class could handle the load like he did last season, he made his teammates better and for a few games he dictated our offense too. If you can't see his talent then well I don't know what to say then.

I'm leaning towards the belief that the hip surgery was tougher on Huby than meets the eye. I'd like to think that Huby wanted to make the most of his first post-NHL offseason and train harder than he's ever trained in his life. However, the surgery kept him off the ice until the last stages of main camp. So, in the back of my mind I knew we wouldn't see anything close to Huby's ceiling production this season. The frustrating thing is that he has regressed. He's not nearly as explosive as last year and seems weaker along the boards. Question is why?

EnforceTheLaus

Nov 3, 2013
I'm leaning towards the belief that the hip surgery was tougher on Huby than meets the eye. I'd like to think that Huby wanted to make the most of his first post-NHL offseason and train harder than he's ever trained in his life. However, the surgery kept him off the ice until the last stages of main camp. So, in the back of my mind I knew we wouldn't see anything close to Huby's ceiling production this season. The frustrating thing is that he has regressed. He's not nearly as explosive as last year and seems weaker along the boards. Question is why?

The same reason. His lower body isn't as strong. Last season, while he wasn't physically strong along the boards, he was very shifty and would duck in and out to get the puck. He doesn't have the lower body strength to do that right now. He can't skate like last season or draw the breakaways like last season.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com

Many in this HF board discredited Hubys Calder because they were many games in the second half of last year where he was totally invisible. I mean totally. The last game put him over the top for the calder and many agree as I do if last year would have been a full season he likely would have finished 3rd in the running for that award.

This year he is playing like he did in the 2nd half of last year by the way. A player with Hubys tools are pretty easy to shut down and its happening just about every night. Next year if he doesn't look faster, shiftier, stronger and develop a chemistry with Barkovs line or Bjugstads line then there is a problem. Huberdeau was not drafted to play with D. Shore and Winchester.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
There's such thing as a sophomore slump because guys need to adapt to the speed of the game, the rigors of travel, and the overall strain on every day life. It started bogging him down at the end of last year, we went in to the offseason, the hip surgery slowed his start to camp, and now he's back at it again 100%. Who knows how serious the hip injury was or if he's still in pain? Thanks to the org blatantly lying about injuries we will never know the truth nor will the press. But if he isn't hurt, I have no doubt it is the aforementioned fact that life at this level is hard to adapt to which is what he is experiencing and that he will bounce back.

Really hope Guds is back with Olsen this game so at least I can stop swearing about that aspect of this team right now.

EnforceTheLaus

Nov 3, 2013
Many in this HF board discredited Hubys Calder because they were many games in the second half of last year where he was totally invisible. I mean totally. The last game put him over the top for the calder and many agree as I do if last year would have been a full season he likely would have finished 3rd in the running for that award.

This year he is playing like he did in the 2nd half of last year by the way. A player with Hubys tools are pretty easy to shut down and its happening just about every night. Next year if he doesn't look faster, shiftier, stronger and develop a chemistry with Barkovs line or Bjugstads line then there is a problem. Huberdeau was not drafted to play with D. Shore and Winchester.

He was also worn down by the end. The hip was injured at the WJCs at it lingered with him from the season. Also look at the schedule, barely any breaks of more than 48hrs.

If it were a full season than he wouldn't have played QJ hockey or the WJCs. He would do just fine and still win. He was the best rookie last season only one close was Taresenko.

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
There's such thing as a sophomore slump because guys need to adapt to the speed of the game, the rigors of travel, and the overall strain on every day life. It started bogging him down at the end of last year, we went in to the offseason, the hip surgery slowed his start to camp, and now he's back at it again 100%. Who knows how serious the hip injury was or if he's still in pain? Thanks to the org blatantly lying about injuries we will never know the truth nor will the press. But if he isn't hurt, I have no doubt it is the aforementioned fact that life at this level is hard to adapt to which is what he is experiencing and that he will bounce back.

Really hope Guds is back with Olsen this game so at least I can stop swearing about that aspect of this team right now.

Well like 1-2 months ago, I think it after the game when he got benched the 3rd period, he got interviewed and Huby himself told that the injury doesn't affect him at all. This is what huby specifically said:
"There are no excuses, I'm not physically tired,'' Huberdeau said. "The surgery, I couldn't skate all summer. But now I feel pretty good on the ice. There's no hip problem or anything. It's on me. I have to get better.''

"There are no excuses, I'm not physically tired,'' Huberdeau said. "The surgery, I couldn't skate all summer. But now I feel pretty good on the ice. There's no hip problem or anything. It's on me. I have to get better.''

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

This is correct.

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I'm gonna catch a lot of hate for this comment, but..

Maybe Tallon should think about giving Huberdeau some seasoning in the AHL. Yes, the Calder and everything, but my goodness has he looked out of sorts this season. Also, think about how the AHL did wonders for Claude Giroux. He came back a new player when he was sent back up to the Flyers.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
It's a sophomore slump guys. Horachek was right...based on last season Huby thought he would come in and light it up to start the year. He didn't (maybe the poor off-season contributed to this). He's never been able to pull himself out of it. It's a learning process though and alot of guys go through it. Giroux had a crap start as well, but look at him now (he's played enough in this league to be able to figure it out and pull himself together).

Huby has the tools. As long as the work ethic is there and he puts in a strong off-season, I have no doubt he'll be a better player next season (hopefully with better linemates too).

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
We give TO a hard time because of our size and depth down the middle (compared to theirs), but without Barkov, it will be tough to compete.

I'll say an OT loss. 2-1.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
I think if he keeps it up in the latter half of this season i could see him being shut down.

take a few months off and then get his body in game shape and lower body...

he could us a few more pounds and that would help him.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Harvey Fialkov (@hfialkov) tweeted at 0:16 PM on Thu, Jan 30, 2014: Barchs playing. GUDDYS out again. HES bagging it #flapanthers

S8sj4.gif

3-1 loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad