Post-Game Talk: Panthers lose to Ottawa but beat Quebec

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
This feels so familiar. When they are out and left for dead, they can win. As soon as the pressure mounts..as soon as the playoff teams tighten their game they fold like a cheap tent. Same old Panther hockey, rely on Luongo and hope for a shutout.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Meh 2nd straight game where they deserved better, another probable loss vs Caps coming up...

But I can't even be mad, today was too good a day for this team.

ebulldog

Mar 25, 2015
Meh 2nd straight game where they deserved better, another probable loss vs Caps coming up...

But I can't even be mad, today was too good a day for this team.

Agree, but if the product on the ice does not get better and the Cats miss the playoffs again, then the deal today will be ridiculed by a lot of people in Broward, which is already happening.
Winning cures all!!

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Agree, Lou lets in frustrating goals at the worst time. That 3rd goal was a killer.
Lu was excellent tonight. I honestly don't know what some of you are looking at. The fist goal was off Mitchell's skate, the 2nd was an open net and the 3rd was by one of the league's best snipers uncontested close in.

The Turris PP Goal was the perfect example of a team that is so afraid of Karlsson from the center of the blue line, that Riley Smith drops low to cover the man in the slot and leaves Turris wide open on the wing. Containment was lost when Mitchell went down on one knee to block Ryan's shot and Ryan easily toe dragged around him and got a hard shot that hit Stone's skate that went right to Turris. Mitchell looked his age on the decision and reaction time.

Last edited:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Stars can score so well they dont even need to defend.

Meanwhile over here in Pantherland we have to CLIMB MOUNT EVEREST TO SCORE ONE GOAL.

Lovely. It's always just same ol Panthers.

We defended well tonight. Bet Hoffman wasn't complaining when we blocked shots tonight.

ebulldog

Mar 25, 2015
Lu was excellent tonight. I honestly don't know what some of you are looking at. The fist goal was off Mitchell's skate, the 2nd was an open net and the 3rd was by one of the league's best snipers close in.

The Turris PP Goal was the perfect example of a team that is so afraid of Karlsson from the center of the blue line, that Riley Smith drops low to cover the man in the slot and leaves Turris wide open on the wing for a rebound. Containment was lost when Mitchell went down on one knee to block Ryan's shot and Ryan skated around him and got an easy shot on goal that went right to Turris. Good shut down defensemen don't allow the player on the wing to get off a close in shot on the PP. Mitchell is showing his age.

Its the timing of the goals he lets in that drives me insane. Start or end of the period, right after the Cats score, take your pick. Some games he makes saves no one else can make and then others you could roll a bowling ball past him. They could have at least got a point out of this game.
I am not saying he was the reason they lost tonight but that last goal that late in the game was bad.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
gwqax.gif

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
The fact is that this team needs more offense. The record of 8-0-1 when we score 3 or more shows that we can't win without offense. Look at Dallas. Obviously they have two of the top 5 scorers in the league, but it's the same idea. If Jagr, Barkov, and Huby don't produce on a given night, we don't have the depth to over come that. Our depth scoring is too inconsistent.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
The fact is that this team needs more offense. The record of 8-0-1 when we score 3 or more shows that we can't win without offense. Look at Dallas. Obviously they have two of the top 5 scorers in the league, but it's the same idea. If Jagr, Barkov, and Huby don't produce on a given night, we don't have the depth to over come that. Our depth scoring is too inconsistent.

Um, that's not what that shows.

EstConf96*

Correction: In need of since 1993.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
We be streaking again! This feels familiar ;(

Typical Panthers. Fall apart when they feel a bit of pressure for a playoff spot.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Anybody know what JJ got the unsportsmanlike for? There is some fire in this Finn even when sober, who would have thought...;)

Worst game by Smith so far even though he scored one.

No need to win all your west coast games if you lose all 4-point east coast games. This team is driving me crazy. You just can never know what you have at the end of 60 min.

And I have the feeling NHL hockey is becoming basketball. The slightest touch results in a penalty (for all teams)

Wounded

Jul 9, 2011
Why did the second PP unit have twice more PP time than the first one? Is Gallant sane?

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Why did the second PP unit have twice more PP time than the first one? Is Gallant sane?
They both were pretty bad lately. Maybe tweaking it with a better system would help as Portland is also having a terrible time in the AHL. But my hunch would be it's a player thing. As I said, Pirri is not the same guy from last year and I believe it's probably a nerve thing related to his off season back problems that is probably chronic and needs rest. Nick being out hasn't helped either as he does have a laser of a shot. At some point they will hopefully get Brick in front and even give Shaw some time on the 2nd unit. He has a heavy shot when given the time.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
This feels so familiar. When they are out and left for dead, they can win. As soon as the pressure mounts..as soon as the playoff teams tighten their game they fold like a cheap tent. Same old Panther hockey, rely on Luongo and hope for a shutout.

Couldn't agree more!

They always put themselves in a position to make a statement, then never deliver. Doesn't matter who the coach or players are, it's a trend year in and year out.

I fully expect them to lose another couple and make that winning streak meaningless.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
We've won 5 games out of 28 when scoring 2 or less in regulation and were undefeated in regulation when scoring 3 or more. What else is there to say?

That doesn't say "we can't win without offense".

It says "the league average in goals per game is somewhere between five and six and we are a good defensive team".

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
That doesn't say "we can't win without offense".

It says "the league average in goals per game is somewhere between five and six and we are a good defensive team".

I beg to differ. Our defense has been OK this year. Luongo has stood on his head most nights so we appear better than we are defensively. Lots of puck watching, forwards collapsing down too low, leaving the zone too early, not covering your man, etc. Some of it can be attributed to the coaching as well.

Here's a good read on our d-zone issues:

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-e...-breakdown-of-panthers-defensive-zone-issues/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad