Confirmed with Link: Panthers invite D. Booth on a PTO

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I'm hoping Howden makes the team. The guy looked much better last season than before and probably is working his tail off to get into shape. It's going to be tough with Booth and Crouse as competition. We'll see what happens in camp. If he doesn't pan out and make the big club, this might be his last chance since it's been five years already since he was drafted.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Which is highly ironic, considering Howden has proven more than Grimaldi at this point.

"Oh hey Quinton, we bought out Boyes so that it's easier for Trocheck/Grimaldi to make the team, but we'll offer Booth a chance to replace you, k?"
Yeah, that was my point.

I agree, I thought Howden has done well up here, especially his second stint up here.

However, I don't think Booth is a bad guy to bring in for a pto , for a 4th line role.

Boyes, last year started to remind me of Flash. He lost his shot and became replaceable by Trocheck and/or Grimaldi.
Why was he not given the chance to beat either of those players out?

Booth is on a PTO, which means that the Panthers essentially are getting a free-look at a potential 4th liner. It is not a big deal. If he beats out the competition, then it will say something positive about him and probably something negative about those he beat out. Competition is a good thing.
See the reply above.

I'm not sure what u guys are talking about regarding howden to be honest. I went to both the Dallas and Tampa game in last years preseason and he was the only player other than obrien that stood out. His speed was the only thing creating chances and I was honestly very disappointed when I read he was sent down. I hope he makes it this year, would love to see him pot a few goals on the pk this year
Grimaldi did not look NHL ready at all last year though.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
saying that its going to happen like its a fact is different than hoping it'll happen. i don't question he could crack the lineup as a 4th liner permanently, but saying he'll be a top-9 forward, at this point in time, is wishful thinking. not saying its impossible, but highly unlikely imo.

some people may have higher hopes solely because he was a 1st round pick, but draft position means nothing. he could've been the last pick in the draft, wouldnt change who he is. he needs to be looked at just like any other prospect and he hasn't proven that much at the pro level for me to assume he'll definitely become a top-9 player for us. what makes him that different from garrett wilson? he too had a successful career in the ohl, is a year older, similar size, same position, and didnt have a half bad season last year in the ahl, he's been playing in the ahl full-time for the last 2 years while playing in the echl mostly in his first 2 years while getting some ahl games in too. i mean i havent watched either of them terribly closely, but other than howden's speed and a little more skill, what really separates the two? not to focus comparing him to wilson, just saying we should ignore the draft position and look at him just like any other prospect. sometimes it sounds like we almost guarantee a future spot for them solely based on being a high pick. he hasn't proved much at the ahl level yet so he'll have to prove it to management at camp and preseason (and call ups, which i thought he looked solid in and thats why i think he'd make for a fine 4th line option if he earns it).

Howden has speed to burn. That alone will keep him in our lineup. He scored 40 in the dub so it's not like he's a plug. Just because he's had injuries doesn't mean it's unlikely he'll be a third liner. If your expectations for him is just a 4th liner you are low balling him. When I say he is going to be a third liner it doesn't mean I'm overrating him. I said third line not superstar. Bowden is extremely good defensively as well. He is not an energy player he is a defensive player with skill and there is no doubt in my mind he will be a third liner for us in the future.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
He only sucked after the Mike Richards headshot made him miss a year of play. Let's not forget that...there's always a chance he gets his mojo back. And unless he's signed to a huge contract sight-unseen, why complain?
I didn't like the Boyes buy-out because I felt they bought out a better player to play the kids. With the Panthers competitive I'd like the better player. That said, I understand the "play the kids" stance. If for some reason Booth makes the team over Howden, they're just playing favorites. And I really think he will, the hype is not there with Howden.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Why was he not given the chance to beat either of those players out?

I wish they didn't buy him out. Would of kept him for competition for those two players.

Guess they thought he wasn't worth 2 million to keep on the roster.

Booth would get the minimum I assume if he impresses?

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Howden has speed to burn. That alone will keep him in our lineup. He scored 40 in the dub so it's not like he's a plug. Just because he's had injuries doesn't mean it's unlikely he'll be a third liner. If your expectations for him is just a 4th liner you are low balling him. When I say he is going to be a third liner it doesn't mean I'm overrating him. I said third line not superstar. Bowden is extremely good defensively as well. He is not an energy player he is a defensive player with skill and there is no doubt in my mind he will be a third liner for us in the future.

i know he scored 40, but plenty of players have successful junior careers, it becomes irrelevant at a point. my expectations aren't necessarily a 4th line player. heck, if he makes the team full-time even as a 4th liner id consider that somewhat of a success, at least he made the team then. tbh i don't have any expectations for him at this point, thats what I'm getting at. he's played 3 years at the pro level and hasn't proven anything that spectacular, just kinda solid/average. draft position aside i view him the same as any other prospect in the ahl at this point, its been 5yrs and 3yrs of pro level. if he stays healthy and plays well in the ahl, then when injuries occur gets a call up, plays well during that time, eventually earns a permanent spot either that season or the following, once he's a permanent player then maybe he could climb the latter, who knows. same story goes for any other prospect we have tho, i don't place him any higher just because he was a 1st round pick in '10. i like him, ive always liked him, i wanna see him stay healthy and do well and would love it if he were a full-time 4th liner at the very least, but he has to earn it, and he's done nothing at the pro level in 3yrs for me to think he'll no doubt be a 3rd line player for us down the road. if he does it'd be a pleasant surprise. I'm sure plenty of people here were saying the same thing back in the day when we drafted mcardle and stewart.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
I love that we give Booth a chance. He's a great guy. Lets hope he can still play at a decent level.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
I don't see what the big deal is about these PTO's vs young guys vs Boyes. Talllon has always said he wants competition nobody gets a free ride. Boyes was a roadblock to the kids now he's gone. Then he brings in a couple vets on PTO's so if the kids take their spot for granted they can play in the AHL . Then sign Booth or Havlat to a 1 year deal. Whoever gets signed is off the books next year for the kids to try to claim a spot again. And there is no way those two stay healthy all year.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
From the little I saw of Booth last year he did play with tenacity on the ice.
He seemed to be one of the few guys on the Leafs that was trying day in and day out and not mailing in the season.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I don't see what the big deal is about these PTO's vs young guys vs Boyes. Talllon has always said he wants competition nobody gets a free ride. Boyes was a roadblock to the kids now he's gone. Then he brings in a couple vets on PTO's so if the kids take their spot for granted they can play in the AHL . Then sign Booth or Havlat to a 1 year deal. Whoever gets signed is off the books next year for the kids to try to claim a spot again. And there is no way those two stay healthy all year.

You could put him in the minors or bench him. Boyes is off this team because he's a rw imo.

I think Booth will make it over Howden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad