Confirmed with Link: Panthers invite D. Booth on a PTO

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Over who though? Is he that much better than Howden/Grimaldi/Trocheck? Plus we might have to make room for Crouse for a 9 game stint.

Over no one.
Jagr, barkov, hubey, bjugstad, smith, pirri, jj, bolland, tro, grimaldi, dnac, thornton

Crouse
booth
if Howden makes it

kampfer is two way

there has been zero indications howden even makes it. Whoever than Czech player is probably makes it over howden

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Over no one.
Jagr, barkov, hubey, bjugstad, smith, pirri, jj, bolland, tro, grimaldi, dnac, thornton

Crouse
booth
if Howden makes it

kampfer is two way

there has been zero indications howden even makes it. Whoever than Czech player is probably makes it over howden
No indication Booth makes it either, or that Czech guy. But of all those players why would Booth make it? Or better yet, why would Howden be the one left off?

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
No indication Booth makes it either, or that Czech guy. But of all those players why would Booth make it? Or better yet, why would Howden be the one left off?

I'm just saying Howden has not been talked about by anyone like grimaldi or Trocheck. Goldie hasn't mentioned him, viola, Tallon, or GR unless i missed it. ..i dont recall one instance, not including the qualifying offer he got.

Even if Howden makes it, there is still a spot on the roster. Thornton can't be our only healthy scratch.

btw, before Weiss gets a tryout lol

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
All the black bears have just made reservations to fly north.:laugh:

Good guy and I hope the tryout at least gets him noticed by another team.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I slightly take back my he sucks comment, he actually had a nice defensive year advanced stats wise.

How was Booth defensively last year?

See above, actually decent. (smiddle of the pack on Leafs in terms of competition faced and o zone starts, above average corsi.)

My issue now is he's probably competing for Howden's spot, if you are going to give them a shot, just do that. Also Booth averaged 13 minutes of ice and put up next to no points.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Booth is a LW, so what does that say about Howden, I don't get to watch many AHL games, does he have any deep flaws? I can't figure out why they aren't worried about Grimaldi at all but Tallon seems to have no confidence in him, he doesn't mention him nearly as much as Grimaldi or Trocheck.

This is definitely competition for Quinton.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Booth is a LW, so what does that say about Howden, I don't get to watch many AHL games, does he have any deep flaws? I can't figure out why they aren't worried about Grimaldi at all but Tallon seems to have no confidence in him, he doesn't mention him nearly as much as Grimaldi or Trocheck.

This is definitely competition for Quinton.

I think they expect Quinton to do a little less "hey guys, I'm glad to be here and I got into really good shape" and a little more "my life depends on me being a Panther so here's why I deserve it" this time around.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I miss Booth, my favorite post Bure player after Lu. I'd welcome him home with open arms should he make it!

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I can't figure out why they aren't worried about Grimaldi at all but Tallon seems to have no confidence in him, he doesn't mention him nearly as much as Grimaldi or Trocheck.

hes had 2 "ok" ahl seasons and i think last year was supposed to be a big year for him, but he ended up getting injured and only played in 33 games...and scored 3 goals in that time. last year was the time to prove something but instead we're not so sure. i think he can be a serviceable 4th liner, but idk about being anything more. he comes off like as a speedy bottom-6 grinder, while grimaldi is a more skilled player and could be a top-9 player and produce. draft position means nothing at this point, its a matter of what has he done and he hasn't really done much as a pro. grimaldi had 3 solid seasons (more like 2 since he was injured his entire rookie season) of d1 and had a solid ahl season and always looks great in camps, trocheck was a scoring champ (or was it mvp?) in the ohl, solid in the ahl, and solid even in the nhl, and again he's a skilled player who can be a top-9 guy and produce while howden seems like more of a role player.
we have to forget he was a late 1st, theres plentyyyy of 1st rounders that bust, its just a matter of can he crack an nhl lineup at this point and at least contribute in a 4th line role. he's still a quality call up option, but he'll really have to earn it if he wants to make it full-time. they can easily sign a vet at the same price.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
hes had 2 "ok" ahl seasons and i think last year was supposed to be a big year for him, but he ended up getting injured and only played in 33 games...and scored 3 goals in that time. last year was the time to prove something but instead we're not so sure. i think he can be a serviceable 4th liner, but idk about being anything more. he comes off like as a speedy bottom-6 grinder, while grimaldi is a more skilled player and could be a top-9 player and produce. draft position means nothing at this point, its a matter of what has he done and he hasn't really done much as a pro. grimaldi had 3 solid seasons (more like 2 since he was injured his entire rookie season) of d1 and had a solid ahl season and always looks great in camps, trocheck was a scoring champ (or was it mvp?) in the ohl, solid in the ahl, and solid even in the nhl, and again he's a skilled player who can be a top-9 guy and produce while howden seems like more of a role player.
we have to forget he was a late 1st, theres plentyyyy of 1st rounders that bust, its just a matter of can he crack an nhl lineup at this point and at least contribute in a 4th line role. he's still a quality call up option, but he'll really have to earn it if he wants to make it full-time. they can easily sign a vet at the same price.
Howden will be a third liner for us in the future who will be a scoring threat on the PK, he's not just an energy player. He has skill.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I can't take another year of Booth coming down the boards and shooting from a bad angle to only miss the net and the puck comes out of the zone as a result

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
It's competition for the 4th line Lw. Not giving Howden a free spot.
Which is highly ironic, considering Howden has proven more than Grimaldi at this point.

"Oh hey Quinton, we bought out Boyes so that it's easier for Trocheck/Grimaldi to make the team, but we'll offer Booth a chance to replace you, k?"

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Which is highly ironic, considering Howden has proven more than Grimaldi at this point.

"Oh hey Quinton, we bought out Boyes so that it's easier for Trocheck/Grimaldi to make the team, but we'll offer Booth a chance to replace you, k?"

I agree, I thought Howden has done well up here, especially his second stint up here.

However, I don't think Booth is a bad guy to bring in for a pto , for a 4th line role.

Boyes, last year started to remind me of Flash. He lost his shot and became replaceable by Trocheck and/or Grimaldi.

I think Howden can beat out Booth, with both staying healthy, but if Howden gets injured again, I much rather see Booth suit up than Thornton

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Howden will be a third liner for us in the future

saying that its going to happen like its a fact is different than hoping it'll happen. i don't question he could crack the lineup as a 4th liner permanently, but saying he'll be a top-9 forward, at this point in time, is wishful thinking. not saying its impossible, but highly unlikely imo.

some people may have higher hopes solely because he was a 1st round pick, but draft position means nothing. he could've been the last pick in the draft, wouldnt change who he is. he needs to be looked at just like any other prospect and he hasn't proven that much at the pro level for me to assume he'll definitely become a top-9 player for us. what makes him that different from garrett wilson? he too had a successful career in the ohl, is a year older, similar size, same position, and didnt have a half bad season last year in the ahl, he's been playing in the ahl full-time for the last 2 years while playing in the echl mostly in his first 2 years while getting some ahl games in too. i mean i havent watched either of them terribly closely, but other than howden's speed and a little more skill, what really separates the two? not to focus comparing him to wilson, just saying we should ignore the draft position and look at him just like any other prospect. sometimes it sounds like we almost guarantee a future spot for them solely based on being a high pick. he hasn't proved much at the ahl level yet so he'll have to prove it to management at camp and preseason (and call ups, which i thought he looked solid in and thats why i think he'd make for a fine 4th line option if he earns it).

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Booth is on a PTO, which means that the Panthers essentially are getting a free-look at a potential 4th liner. It is not a big deal. If he beats out the competition, then it will say something positive about him and probably something negative about those he beat out. Competition is a good thing.

Ekblad

Mar 10, 2010
Miami, Florida
I'm not sure what u guys are talking about regarding howden to be honest. I went to both the Dallas and Tampa game in last years preseason and he was the only player other than obrien that stood out. His speed was the only thing creating chances and I was honestly very disappointed when I read he was sent down. I hope he makes it this year, would love to see him pot a few goals on the pk this year

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
How was Booth defensively last year?

Better defensively than Phil Kessel! In the last half of the season, more watchable too. One of the few who looked like they were trying out there instead of trying to get the coaches fired. I think he will make the team and you will be pleasantly surprised. Still got good wheels and heart.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I'm not sure what u guys are talking about regarding howden to be honest. I went to both the Dallas and Tampa game in last years preseason and he was the only player other than obrien that stood out. His speed was the only thing creating chances and I was honestly very disappointed when I read he was sent down. I hope he makes it this year, would love to see him pot a few goals on the pk this year

I've probably had a dozen posts saying this, so what's one more...

When he had his very first stint here, he couldn't buy a point. He created more scoring chances than anyone I've ever seen. There's no stats for almost, but it was so bad he had the puck on the goal line at one point and somehow didn't go over.

The kid has speed and drives to the net. He would be quite successful alongside any net first mentality.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I've probably had a dozen posts saying this, so what's one more...

When he had his very first stint here, he couldn't buy a point. He created more scoring chances than anyone I've ever seen. There's no stats for almost, but it was so bad he had the puck on the goal line at one point and somehow didn't go over.

The kid has speed and drives to the net. He would be quite successful alongside any net first mentality.

Which is exactly what advanced stats "say" about Booth offensively.

The guy was a Corsi Darling and generated so many scoring chances but could not bury....on the bottom 6 lines...

But when he played in the top 6 he actually buried some chances.

Saw Booth play some and he still had wheels and still put forth 100%.

Booth could be our sneaky good signing (pending he does indeed make it).

*GR says the Panthers are offering Booth his number 10 if he wants it back. Also just heard word news of a team giving Stephen Weiss is coming soon.....unknown for now...in before Panthers lol

Last edited:

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
It has to be as a favor. No reason to get rid of Boyes to have a much worse player come in.

(I know everyone likes Booth, but he sucks unfortunately)

He only sucked after the Mike Richards headshot made him miss a year of play. Let's not forget that...there's always a chance he gets his mojo back. And unless he's signed to a huge contract sight-unseen, why complain?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad