Panthers get financial relief from Broward County tourist taxes

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I'm curious, those of you that live in Canada...how do you feel about the Panthers in South Florida? Do you want them to stay, would anything change for you if they relocated?

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Wu is for the children, as are the Panthers.

I'm curious, those of you that live in Canada...how do you feel about the Panthers in South Florida? Do you want them to stay, would anything change for you if they relocated?

I am a fan for life. There is no changing for me, even if they were to move someday.
I think there is a great market in S FLA, all we need is some consistent winning. Look back to '96 and all the sellouts, it was bananas!
Now do I think this team would fair better in Miami? Sure! But I don't see that move anytime in the near future.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Well, I want them to stay in South Florida. If they moved to Quebec, I would hate them.

If they moved to Seattle, or Las Vegas I would support them.

Basically, if they moved to Canada I would have to follow another team.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I see Canadian's view when they say that even a last place team would sell out in a place like Hamilton or Saskatoon unlike down here when typically the team has to be successful to get butts in the seats. However, while the attendance might be low when the team is not successful, I don't understand the "no fans" argument when the Panthers do have a very small and knowledgeable fanbase which includes all of us down here locally.

Also, geographically just because South Florida is in an area of the planet that does not get snow more than once in a century doesn't mean that people can't enjoy the awesome sport that hockey is. I would think that Canadians would want to grow the game in places such as South Florida that is a non-traditional market. While the team has been very poor through most their existence, players emerging into the NHL from the area such as Shayne Gostisbehere is evidence that youth hockey is growing.

I think interest in the game will grow as the team becomes more successful over the next few years. The haters on their high-horse in Canada are just going to have to get used to seeing teams in area like South Florida, Arizona, and it looks like Vegas too where in my opinion, the sport hopefully grows to become semi-popular as it has in markets like Southern California and Dallas.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I see Canadian's view when they say that even a last place team would sell out in a place like Hamilton or Saskatoon unlike down here when typically the team has to be successful to get butts in the seats. However, while the attendance might be low when the team is not successful, I don't understand the "no fans" argument when the Panthers do have a very small and knowledgeable fanbase which includes all of us down here locally.

Also, geographically just because South Florida is in an area of the planet that does not get snow more than once in a century doesn't mean that people can't enjoy the awesome sport that hockey is. I would think that Canadians would want to grow the game in places such as South Florida that is a non-traditional market. While the team has been very poor through most their existence, players emerging into the NHL from the area such as Shayne Gostisbehere is evidence that youth hockey is growing.

I think interest in the game will grow as the team becomes more successful over the next few years. The haters on their high-horse in Canada are just going to have to get used to seeing teams in area like South Florida, Arizona, and it looks like Vegas too where in my opinion, the sport hopefully grows to become semi-popular as it has in markets like Southern California and Dallas.

1) It's much easier to make sweeping generalizations about something than to research it and actually understand the issue. I'm sure we all do it in our own lives, I know I do. Doesn't make it right, but it happens.

2) This is one thing that I've never understood. I've lived around Chicago most of my life and every time I'm around hockey fans all they do is ***** and moan about how it doesn't get enough coverage and all ESPN cares about is football and basketball. You won't grow a sport by appealing to those who are already fans. ESPN isn't going to start showing hockey all the time when only a small percentage of those watching enjoy hockey...that's not a smart business decision. The only way to get more people to become fans of the sport is to bring it to people who otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity to enjoy it.

3) My favorite part about the 2016 draft is that Matthews grew up in Arizona and Chychrun grew up in Florida. I know they didn't play a majority of their careers in those places, but it's really cool to see the NHL begin to reap the rewards of its investment in these locations.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014

Well, I want them to stay in South Florida. If they moved to Quebec, I would hate them.

If they moved to Seattle, or Las Vegas I would support them.

Basically, if they moved to Canada I would have to follow another team.

This is how I feel. Cant support a french team. I want them to work in Florida and I know that it can work if the cardz are played correctly

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I'll be a fan of this team wherever they end up. Obviously, I would prefer them to remain in South Florida, but I understand if it doesn't work out in the end.

Bottom line for me - I'd like to see this team be a perennial contender for 4-5 years and see what kind of effect it has on attendance, revenue, etc. If this never happens and the team folds/relocates, it'll always be a question of what if?

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL

Another thing too, even if they did fill the arena in Saskatoon or Hamilton, the fact still remains that they are extremely small markets and would come times where they would struggle financially. The Winnipeg Jets fill out their building every night, yet they're only ranked like 25th in overall revenue they bring to the league. And if the Canadian dollar ever falls like it did in the 90's, those teams could be on deaths doorstep. The fact remains that South Florida has a population of around 6 million which puts it at the same level of Philly and DC. It's a huge media market that the NHL isn't going to just up and abandon.

A franchise in Quebec MIGHT be more valuable than a struggling franchise in Florida, but a healthy franchise in Florida would be worth 5x more than a franchise in Quebec based on the sheer population numbers and corporate money that exists down here. We have 6 million people down here as opposed to only maybe 500,000 in Quebec. The vast wealth of corporations that exist in this area pretty much ensures that you can have a significant portion of the population not give a crap about hockey (or sports in general) and still have it be one of the most lucrative markets in North America.

I've been opposed to every team that's switched cities in the past 40+ years. In each instance it's been because of poor ownership, or a city not willing to be blackmailed into spending hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars building a new stadium or arena. The only legitimate excuse for a franchise to move is weak attendance, and there isn't a single NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL team that fits that criterion, even though in many cases tickets are bought by corporations and given away; the fact remains they're still paid for.

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I would continue to support the team.

It will hurt a lot though if they move to Canada. The "see I told you so" people would come out in droves and hurt. I may just drop the Panthers completely. I dont know. But it will hurt.

If they move to in general, it will still hurt....and I don't even live in Florida anymore.

Now if they move to San Diego, I may just forgive them.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I'd probably stop watching regular season NHL hockey altogether. Maybe catch some Finns playing if there's an interesting early weekend game, but that's about it.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Now do I think this team would fair better in Miami? Sure! But I don't see that move anytime in the near future.

I don't think Miami is the answer. Folks who don't live in Florida may not understand the state. Miami is very far south and to get to where the Heat play can be a difficult drive due to traffic and having to navigate city streets.

IMO an arena off I-95 or the turnpike near West Palm Beach would result in a jump in season seats being sold. Would draw from north and south FL.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Big day today. It's a home game against Ottawa, so if this passes it will be the ultimate troll game, but if they lose, the press is going to be awful, because the vote failing is bad, and the attendance is going to suck tomorrow, perfect storm.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
I don't think Miami is the answer. Folks who don't live in Florida may not understand the state. Miami is very far south and to get to where the Heat play can be a difficult drive due to traffic and having to navigate city streets.

IMO an arena off I-95 or the turnpike near West Palm Beach would result in a jump in season seats being sold. Would draw from north and south FL.

When the yankees sucked in the 80s and early 90s everyone said who is going to come to one of the worlds most crime ridden areas for a baseball game.

Then they started winning and guess what...15 years of virtual sellouts. in the south bronx.

Moral of the story. One thing and one thing only cures attendance issues.

WINNING.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
When the yankees sucked in the 80s and early 90s everyone said who is going to come to one of the worlds most crime ridden areas for a baseball game.

Then they started winning and guess what...15 years of virtual sellouts. in the south bronx.

Moral of the story. One thing and one thing only cures attendance issues.

WINNING.

Especially true in South Florida where it's historically a bandwagon fan base. It's true.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL

People from South Miami aren't driving to West Palm, the arena is far enough North as it is right now. No thanks.

I'm not saying Miami is the answer either, but Miami arena did well when the team did well in a not so nice/not so easy to get to neighborhood.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
People from South Miami aren't driving to West Palm, the arena is far enough North as it is right now. No thanks.

I'm not saying Miami is the answer either, but Miami arena did well when the team did well in a not so nice/not so easy to get to neighborhood.

Honestly downtown FTL seems like the best place for a new arena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad