McKenzie: Panthers favorite for Bobrovsky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Yandle was extremely bad defensively but is still a big point producer, a few tweaks to gain more defensive play is all that's really needed

He was excellent the year before and didn't regress physically since he put up even more points so it's most likely largely due to bad deployment/wrong fit with partner that can be adjusted. I don't remember anyone other than Barkov backchecking either on that team.

Reactions: Avaholic29

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
He was excellent the year before and didn't regress physically since he put up even more points so it's most likely largely due to bad deployment/wrong fit with partner that can be adjusted. I don't remember anyone other than Barkov backchecking either on that team.

Barkov is a monster. The Panthers definitely have alot to look forward to

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
To be fair isles were also pitching to bob. Glad to see panarins name out of this, too many run ins with arrogant cat fans thinking they'd land both without question. Bob is going to get overpaid and exposed behind Florida's defense. :)
Bob's more than used to play behind a bad D since he was a teenager actually. Why don't people want to just imagine for a second that Bob is actually a good goalie with 2 Vezinas to show and he might solve goaltending for the Panthers and not be a problem... somehow... because you want it that way?

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I can’t wait for him to sign with the isles

Not happening. I don’t think Florida makes this move to sign Lehner and at least a few reliable guys have tweeted this is done. The only question is if maybe Panarin still goes to New York

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Bob's more than used to play behind a bad D since he was a teenager actually. Why don't people want to just imagine for a second that Bob is actually a good goalie with 2 Vezinas to show and he might solve goaltending for the Panthers and not be a problem... somehow... because you want it that way?

Because bob had stretches last season where he looked absolutely terrible. But stepped up in the later part of the season. And that was with a better dcore than what the Panthers have now. Depending on AAV it could be a Bryzgalov in Philly situation.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Putting a great goalie with a great D also tends to result in an output that's less than the sum of the parts. Can be seen from Nashville and Dallas, goalie doesn't have to cover for an amazing defense, as a result doesn't get as many regular shots against and lets in stinkers because he's out of rhythm after going for 10 minutes without a shot against. In turn the defense is playing really sound two way hockey when they can push more on offense and the goalie could bail them out. Meanwhile Blues (great defense with solid but not amazing goalie) or Bruins (great goalie, above average defense but their top guys were out of their primes and not Pietrangelo/Parayko Norris level players) got the most mileage out of their combo. Hurricanes as well, with great defense/dependable goalie. Capitals the year they won had great goalie and good system defense without big names minus Carlson (who doesn't get much respect defensively) but allowed a lot of shots against because they'd always push the attack and knew Holtby could bail them out on the average shot taken against him.

Not that having a great defense + great goalie is bad, but if Bobrovsky is facing 30-35 shots against a game he probably puts up a Vezina caliber performance, and if the Panthers take advantage of him being back there to press more offensively while defending high danger chances within reason they become a very formidable team. You need two way commitment to win but 5 skaters can't be everywhere at once.

Reactions: byrath

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Will be hilarious if Florida does nothing about that puke worthy defense and then wonders why Bobrovsky has a bad year next year. Honestly after Ekblad it was the worst collective performance I've seen in years. Worse than some of the mid 2000's leaf teams.

You’re aren’t wrong, nonetheless we are expecting defensive additions to address that.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Because it’s florida it won’t be as bad. I’m guessing Bobrovsky is 7/49 and Panarin is 7/70 or 7/65

Paying Bob 7m til hes 38 scares me. Especially with at times his inconsistency. One year hes a runaway Vezina winner the next hes mediocre. Panthers fans deserve this good news, so hopefully it pans out for them and doesnt turn into Bryz 2.0

There's no way Bob signs for 7m AAV or Panarin signs below 10m AAV. Just no way.
haha WannabeFinn these fans are going to line up at a cliff when they realize there is no way either guy signs for that... Bob getting 9.5 minimum and Panarin wants 12 so maybe 10 but likely 10.5 minimum. But no way younger both for less then 20mil combined...

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Because bob had stretches last season where he looked absolutely terrible. But stepped up in the later part of the season. And that was with a better dcore than what the Panthers have now. Depending on AAV it could be a Bryzgalov in Philly situation.
I hope you will come back to that terrible post in a year to see how wrong you were.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
I hope you will come back to that terrible post in a year to see how wrong you were.

Yeah sure man just bump it I'll gladly come back. Were you not around when bob had numerous games of letting in 6+ goals? His averages were putrid at the halfway mark. He's looking to land a big payday and live by the beach, something tells me his mindset isn't that he's going to win a cup in Florida. But who knows.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Yeah sure man just bump it I'll gladly come back. Were you not around when bob had numerous games of letting in 6+ goals? His averages were putrid at the halfway mark. He's looking to land a big payday and live by the beach, something tells me his mindset isn't that he's going to win a cup in Florida. But who knows.
Yeah, because he is a lazy greedy Russian who will sip on his vodka with a bear who plays balalika for him, rrright?

If a Canadian wants to be paid and/or play in a place he and his family like he is just a pro athlete doing his thing of course. No indication for anything.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Yeah, because he is a lazy greedy Russian who will sip on his vodka with a bear who plays balalika for him, rrright?

If a Canadian wants to be paid and/or play in a place he and his family like he is just a pro athlete doing his thing of course. No indication for anything.

Way to go ahead and put words in my mouth and pull the race card lmao. Anyways. Enjoy.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Yandle was extremely bad defensively but is still a big point producer, a few tweaks to gain more defensive play is all that's really needed

There is a common stereotype about Yandle that he isn’t a good defensively. He’s actually been quite good for the Panthers since he has been here above average actually. I don’t know if he was terrible on his previous teams or not but here he had been reliable for the most part, not to mention he has played the top pair with Ekblad during most of his tenure here.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
What is puke worth about Yandle, Ekblad and Matheson? That's one guy away from a top 4 that can eat up 45 good minutes a game.

If you're worried about collective performance the guy in charge of that was replaced by Quenneville
Matheson had an atrocious season last year. Could he bounce back? Sure but if he plays like that again its not good news for the Panthers.

Yandle is still great offensively but it was a rough one in his own end this year too.

4-7 were god awful.

Ekblad was great for them but one guy can't do it all.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Matheson had an atrocious season last year. Could he bounce back? Sure but if he plays like that again its not good news for the Panthers.

Yandle is still great offensively but it was a rough one in his own end this year too.

4-7 were god awful.

Some felt Weegar had a really solid season

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Way to go ahead and put words in my mouth and pull the race card lmao. Anyways. Enjoy.
Then explain to me how is a UFA looking to sign a new contract an indication for not wanting to win. Because he might sign with a team you for whatever reason belittle? The Blues went from last in the league to SC Champs like not a month ago, people go on and on and on about parity, yet somehow signing with the Panthers denies every chance of success and a sunny beach nearby is indication for inevitable failure.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
No loyalty Bob...no loyalty.
Loyalty to who? The only team in the NHL Bob could be loyal too with a reason are the Flyers who signed him out of Russia as an undrafted youngling. Otherwise he is a pro athlete who probably only once in his career gets the chance to really choose where to play.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

4-7 were god awful.

A solid 4 allows for 2 high minute pairings and changes the complexion of the whole D. Caps pre and post Kempny for instance. 5 and 6 suddenly have much less pressure and have room to play bottom pairing game

Adding a capable goalie over the brutal tandem they had last year cannot be overstated. How would you play knowing every mistake will end up in the back of your net? See same exact skaters in front of Allen vs in front of Binnington this year

Finally, coaching cannot be overstated. See isles go from 31 to 1 in GA despite rolling out the same defense

Quenneville + Bobrovsky + any decent #4 maybe as little as Ceci or Stralman could equal a far stingier defensive squad, possibly top 10 GA

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Then explain to me how is a UFA looking to sign a new contract an indication for not wanting to win. Because he might sign with a team you for whatever reason belittle? The Blues went from last in the league to SC Champs like not a month ago, people go on and on and on about parity, yet somehow signing with the Panthers denies every chance of success and a sunny beach nearby is indication for inevitable failure.

Once again, i never once said the beaches were going to equal failure lmao. Bob is a streaky goalie and played bad behind a defense that is superior to floridas. I'm simply saying if his AAV is 8+ mil it will haunt you guys down the road. Keep grasping though.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

4-7 were god awful.

4-7? Didn’t watch Brown and Weegar much did you? Or Ek for that matter. Whole defense struggled, the coach did nothing to fix it. Matheson went backward, I’m happy to see what Q can do with them.
Though, they’ll shore it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad