HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
8 years of abject playoff failure.

Drafting Michkov isn't the cure all people believed it to be. Being able to be a producer in the playoffs matters more than big numbers in the regular season.
In fairness, there's no way the Leafs could know that Marner would be such a dog in the playoffs. They had their three big forwards and had a plan. Then a superstar wanted to join their team - without them giving up assets. Even though he was another forward - who's going to say no to that?

And it should've worked. They should've been able to outscore their problems. But Tavares gets hurt and Marner just flat out sucks.

I don't blame them for the Tavares move. But I'd blame them for the following:

1. Mismanaging the cap and letting their players steamroll them in negotiations.
2. Giving Tavares the captaincy when he came over
3. Not trading Marner before his NMC when it became clear he was a dog.
4. Not firing Keefe long ago.

Those were fatal errors.

Maybe Michkov will be a great playoff player. It's really hard to know what a player will be. So many 'soft' players have been great in the playoffs. Phil Kessel was great in the playoffs, Mike Bossy was amazing... you never know.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Marner is on the last year of his contract. As Simmons wrote in his column the Leafs may tell him they will not be offering him anything near what he is getting now and try to get him to wave his NMC.
They might get something for a signed Marner at a reasonable term and salary.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Marner is on the last year of his contract. As Simmons wrote in his column the Leafs may tell him they will not be offering him anything near what he is getting now and try to get him to wave his NMC.
They might get something for a signed Marner at a reasonable term and salary.
Is this his last year? I thought he had two left?

Hmmmm, maybe he does agree to a trade then. Honestly, if they tell him they aren't going to renew him he might want to avoid the embarrassment.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Is this his last year? I thought he had two left?

Hmmmm, maybe he does agree to a trade then. Honestly, if they tell him they aren't going to renew him he might want to avoid the embarrassment.
hockeydb say 2024-25 is his last year. Reilly is there forever 29-30. Marner can always just wait for free agency. His agent should have an idea what his value as a FA would be.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
hockeydb say 2024-25 is his last year. Reilly is there forever 29-30. Marner can always just wait for free agency. His agent should have an idea what his value as a FA would be.
I thought he had two years and thus, stuck with him for at least this season. Never thought he'd waive this year. But if it's only this year... that makes things interesting.

That's going to be an interesting storyline. I don't think Marner will want the humiliation of just being let go for free.

Alternatively, maybe the Leafs re-sign him under the condition that his new deal is a limited NMC that allows them to trade him elsewhere but only certain teams. They live with him this year and deal him when his new deal kicks in. That would be an alternative strategy.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
To me that Pasta goal is entirely on Rielly. Guy looked like he was stuck in quicksand. Samsonov didn't expect Rielly to not do anything and for those kinds of dump ins, you'd expect the dman and not the winger to clear it.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
IMG_2731.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad