GDT: Panthers @ Devils - 7:00 PM - MSG

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I simply mean during the time Luke and Simon are still learning the game…

Dont read further into it, which you are on every single post at the moment. They should be an easy playoff team next season with a new coach and goalie alone, plus being healthy. Thats not even adding in necessary moves for the bottom 6 and on D for a vet.

Calm down on the doom and gloom. It’s not as severe as you are making it out to be
It’s like people memory-holing the fact that we lost our number 1 D and threw a 19 year old and 20 year old into the fire to replace him. It would’ve been nice to be able to rotate them in and out this year, but we lost that luxury when Doug went down.

It took a perfect storm of shit to keep us out of the playoffs, we don’t need to act like the team is so far away from relevancy again. They aren’t.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Okhotiuk and Mukhamadullin are not equivalent though. The growing pains would have been there with Mukhamadullin, but he almost certainly would have been in Utica for a couple years.

He's very likely to be a big rangy middle pairing defenseman as his floor. And cost controlled at that. That's very valuable.
Okhotiuk would’ve needed to be on this roster due to waivers. A roster that already had Bahl and Luke penciled in.

Mukhmadullin probably gets regular NHL minutes next year. The Devils would not have been able to give him that and develop Luke, Nemec, and Bahl all at the same time.

We already have a bit of an issue getting the right partners for Luke and Nemec. Trying to accommodate another young defender would’ve been a nightmare.

Reactions: JimEIV

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
When the Dano memeposter is the voice of reason, you took it a step too far lmao. Everyone needs to calm down here and think, and breathe. It will be ok

IMG_4051.jpeg
And remember, Dano loves you

Last edited:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Anyone who is clamoring for Mukamadullin + Zetterlund for Mercer is just revisionist history at its finest. The left side was playing at an absurd level last year, Siegs looked amazing/Bahl looked good/Graves was gonna walk but Luke was gonna be a regular this year similar to Nemec on the right side. There was no way Muk was gonna break through any time soon on the left side. As for Zetterlund, he was a cool Swiss Army knife player but once again, trading Mercer when he was doing what he was in February 2023 would've been absolutely insane. The same people saying to trade Mercer via hindsight would've been in shambles if he had a Sharangovich esque year in SJ.

f*** draft position. Get Markstrom here this week and at least make the 8th seed sweat a little.

Can't be a doormat for 5 more weeks

It's literally beyond over at this point

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Okhotiuk would’ve needed to be on this roster due to waivers. A roster that already had Bahl and Luke penciled in.

Mukhmadullin probably gets regular NHL minutes next year. The Devils would not have been able to give him that and develop Luke, Nemec, and Bahl all at the same time.

We already have a bit of an issue getting the right partners for Luke and Nemec. Trying to accommodate another young defender would’ve been a nightmare.
Like I said, Okhotiuk and Mukhamadullin are not equivalent. Okhotiuk sucks and was a throw in on the Meier deal. He would've been waived/not qualified if he stayed here.

Mukhamadullin is going to be a legit weapon and he would have found his way into the lineup eventually. Bahl should not be penciled in and is not close to Mukhamadullin's talent level. He should/would be the odd man out in the scenario that Mukhamadullin stayed around.

The other issue is that Fitzgerald gives up these premium assets to get Meier and then refuses to pay the price to get a goalie while Meier is in his prime on a big ticket contract so the team can be competitive. Makes ZERO sense.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
They will win games if they put in tonights effort for the rest of the season
Not with the same goalies. They've put in tonights effort consistently and lost a million times this year. They're going to lose as a matter of course when they give up >1 goal above expected regularly.

Reactions: Louskoolaid89

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Not with the same goalies. They've put in tonights effort consistently and lost a million times this year. They're going to lose as a matter of course when they give up >1 goal above expected regularly.
They are due for one of those 2 week good goaltending stretches. Happened periodically all season. Tonight’s effort will net some wins in the future, in spite of the tenders. The question is, will they continue the effort

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Nobody is saying tank. They're saying don't make knee jerk trades for a goalie that'll be 35 next season and is only one year removed from a poor season.
It's clearly not knee jerk, they've been searching for a goalie since at least last summer and haven't been willing to pay the price needed to get one.

So we can throw that theory out the window, because if it was knee jerk then they would have one by now.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Anyone who is clamoring for Mukamadullin + Zetterlund for Mercer is just revisionist history at its finest. The left side was playing at an absurd level last year, Siegs looked amazing/Bahl looked good/Graves was gonna walk but Luke was gonna be a regular this year similar to Nemec on the right side. There was no way Muk was gonna break through any time soon on the left side. As for Zetterlund, he was a cool Swiss Army knife player but once again, trading Mercer when he was doing what he was in February 2023 would've been absolutely insane. The same people saying to trade Mercer via hindsight would've been in shambles if he had a Sharangovich esque year in SJ.

And I don’t know what player people think Muk is. He’s a beanpole on skates who needs more development than the rookies we have.

It’s pretty clear people will bitch about losing any player whenever they score. Someone was complaining that we didn’t still have Palmieri after he had a hat trick.

Sharangovich is a soft, perimeter player, and those are bad, except when we trade them away.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
And I don’t know what player people think Muk is. He’s a beanpole on skates who needs more development than the rookies we have.

It’s pretty clear people will bitch about losing any player whenever they score. Someone was complaining that we didn’t still have Palmieri after he had a hat trick.

Sharangovich is a soft, perimeter player, and those are bad, except when we trade them away.

People are just frustrated and not in their right minds.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

What am I missing? When did Mukhamadullin score?

This was a discussion about Mercer's play and overall value in comparison to the assets the Devils gave up in the Meier deal. It has nothing to do with bitching about losing Mukhamadullin specifically, it was just brought up in the Mercer context.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
What am I missing? When did Mukhamadullin score?

This was a discussion about Mercer's play and overall value in comparison to the assets the Devils gave up in the Meier deal. It has nothing to do with bitching about losing Mukhamadullin specifically, it was just brought up in the Mercer context.

And I still would rather have kept Mercer over everyone we traded San Jose.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
And I still would rather have kept Mercer over everyone we traded San Jose.
I probably would too, but it's not an absolute no brainer that I would keep him over Mukhamadullin and Zetterlund.

He's been incredibly underwhelming for 2 years now aside from a limited window late last season. He also can't drive his own line and is not great defensively.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The thing with Marino is the same thing with Siegs, they're both good players and have done more good than bad but if you can improve either of them, go for it imo, but if a new coach comes in and they still suck we're in the mud in regards with them. I have way more faith in Marino than I do Siegs though. But yes, I'd also love Tanev as well for Luke

Eh, Tanev is about done.

I love Tanev to death, that contract was one of the best UFA signings in recent memory, but he’s 34.

Here’s every defenseman 34 or over playing in the NHL this season.

12 of them are older than 34.

IMG_4800.jpeg

If he would do something very short term, then maybe, but he can sign a 1-2 year deal anywhere.

You need to find a younger version.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Nobody is saying tank. They're saying don't make knee jerk trades for a goalie that'll be 35 next season and is only one year removed from a poor season.
I'd rather have a 35 year old goalie thst can make saves than a couple of 23 year old goalies that can't stop shit. Enough of the AHL goalie experiments. Let them develop in the AHL and call them up based upon them actually being good. If VV isn't involved in a deal. I think he's a suitable NHL backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad