GDT: Panthers at Flames: Why do they hate us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EstConf96*

Listening to NHL radio today and its almost as if Sam Bennett has been reborn into Gretzky! He had a great game against a tired team ready to go home. Getting a bit ridiculous.

So this is the excuse for losing 6-0? Bennet is going to be great.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
The Flames made them look slow. They moved the puck quickly with skill and precision. They attacked the entire game and never took their foot off the gas. The cats had no answer for them and struggled to do anything. It literally seemed like Calgary had 10 men on the ice. Every shot and pass was contested.

It was a great effort and dismantling of the Panthers by the Flames. The cats have to forget about this one.

People are overreacting to how bad the team looked last night. That was the end of a cross continent road trip. It started in the north East then went all the way to the North West. 5 games in 8 days and finishing with 3 in 4. The only way the NHL could have made the trip longer was to add a stop in LA or Dallas. Its a minor miracle they made it all the way to Calgary without laying an egg.

Does getting dominated suck? absolutely. especially when its against a team you should beat 7/10 times. But the reality is that the Calgary got some very fortunate bounces early and the team collectively stopped trying. Just look at the sequence of events that led to the 2nd goal. Huberdeau tries to shoot the puck deep, Calgary defenseman knocks it out of the air at shoulder height and the puck lands right in front of him, play goes into the zone, Huberdeau makes a great defensive play to block the cross crease pass and it goes right on to Johhny Hockey's stick for a perfect tick tack toe backdoor goal. It was a night where they came out slow, and the opponent got a few lucky breaks to jump on the team and stepped on their throats early. If you had given the Panthers the option to get on the plane after 3-0, 95% of the team would have said yes. Its not a sign of a weak willed team, its a sign of a tired team who knows they are a few hours from getting on a plane and finally going home. It happens to everyone. It just happened to be on a night where every bounce went the opponents way and the score ended up unbelievably lopsided. Last night reminded me of the game against Boston right before the Christmas break in 2012. Team was banged up and at the end of a long road trip. Same thing happened and Boston jumped on them early and went on to an 8-0 win. That team wasn't nearly as talented and was able to recover. I have no doubt this team will as well

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Reading this thread, i feel like we are under .500

The character of this team will be told on how the respond Sunday (which I think they get at least one) and Monday (where they should get 2).

As much as we want blood on Monday, the biggest satisfaction is getting two points. Edmonton had aspirations of making the playoffs.

BURY them early and dont let them get any points.

The 6-0 loss sucks, but its all forgotten if they respond appropriately

EstConf96*

People are overreacting to how bad the team looked last night. That was the end of a cross continent road trip. It started in the north East then went all the way to the North West. 5 games in 8 days and finishing with 3 in 4. The only way the NHL could have made the trip longer was to add a stop in LA or Dallas. Its a minor miracle they made it all the way to Calgary without laying an egg.

Does getting dominated suck? absolutely. especially when its against a team you should beat 7/10 times. But the reality is that the Calgary got some very fortunate bounces early and the team collectively stopped trying. Just look at the sequence of events that led to the 2nd goal. Huberdeau tries to shoot the puck deep, Calgary defenseman knocks it out of the air at shoulder height and the puck lands right in front of him, play goes into the zone, Huberdeau makes a great defensive play to block the cross crease pass and it goes right on to Johhny Hockey's stick for a perfect tick tack toe backdoor goal. It was a night where they came out slow, and the opponent got a few lucky breaks to jump on the team and stepped on their throats early. If you had given the Panthers the option to get on the plane after 3-0, 95% of the team would have said yes. Its not a sign of a weak willed team, its a sign of a tired team who knows they are a few hours from getting on a plane and finally going home. It happens to everyone. It just happened to be on a night where every bounce went the opponents way and the score ended up unbelievably lopsided. Last night reminded me of the game against Boston right before the Christmas break in 2012. Team was banged up and at the end of a long road trip. Same thing happened and Boston jumped on them early and went on to an 8-0 win. That team wasn't nearly as talented and was able to recover. I have no doubt this team will as well

I do not doubt either but the honeymoon is over and we are back in reality.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I worked last night, and as I always do I PVR the game and watch it the next day. I feel like I'd rather have a tooth pulled right now, this is tough to watch. Lots of individual breakdowns.

I listened to the last 5min on the radio last night driving home, and the Calgary radio announcers said Barkov was by far our best player, as well Pirri played a very noticeable game.

Thoughts on this? Not sure I can watch much more of this.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I do not doubt either but the honeymoon is over and we are back in reality.

Anyone who thought the win streak would immediately be followed by another one is delusional. All I want is for the Panthers to play at a 6 in 5 pace. Losses happen, even bad ones. Now if they go to Tampa and lose by 3+ goals again, people can "start" to worry. But right now, there is no reason to overreact to one loss where anything and everything went wrong

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
I don't know what some of you guys expected. Our team was playing it's 3rd game in the last 4 days, no Ekblad, no Gallant.

If we won this game it would've been because Calgary was absolute garbage.

I'll take this loss and refuel the tank. We can't win them all.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I worked last night, and as I always do I PVR the game and watch it the next day. I feel like I'd rather have a tooth pulled right now, this is tough to watch. Lots of individual breakdowns.

I listened to the last 5min on the radio last night driving home, and the Calgary radio announcers said Barkov was by far our best player, as well Pirri played a very noticeable game.

Thoughts on this? Not sure I can watch much more of this.

There is literally nothing worth watching. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.

EstConf96*

Anyone who thought the win streak would immediately be followed by another one is delusional. All I want is for the Panthers to play at a 6 in 5 pace. Losses happen, even bad ones. Now if they go to Tampa and lose by 3+ goals again, people can "start" to worry. But right now, there is no reason to overreact to one loss where anything and everything went wrong

Did not expect anything like that. Losing 6-0 to a team in the Pacific sure makes you wonder if it was a fluke. Will be trench warfare from here on to get to the playoffs.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
People aren't upset because they have such a low pain threshold or are easily frightened by black cats crossing the street.

People are upset because of last year's history where a road trip ended almost identically and led to a major slump.

Isn't that completely obvious?

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
In the back of my mind, I kind of expected us to get blown out last night. Not 6-0, but lose by a few goals. It was bound to happen at some point. Towards the end of a huge road trip across North America and without Ekblad and Gallant pretty much spelled bad news from the start.

I'm hoping they will bounce back in Tampa and not let this affect them. I liked how Gudbranson said after the game that they might have been too overconfident towards the end of the streak until now, which is why even some of the wins were by the skin of their teeth. I'm more worried now about how long Ekblad will be out for and what the diagnosis is. While no one really showed up last night, it was evident that him being out of the lineup made a huge dent on the roster.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
In the back of my mind, I kind of expected us to get blown out last night. Not 6-0, but lose by a few goals. It was bound to happen at some point. Towards the end of a huge road trip across North America and without Ekblad and Gallant pretty much spelled bad news from the start.

I'm hoping they will bounce back in Tampa and not let this affect them. I liked how Gudbranson said after the game that they might have been too overconfident towards the end of the streak until now, which is why even some of the wins were by the skin of their teeth. I'm more worried now about how long Ekblad will be out for and what the diagnosis is. While no one really showed up last night, it was evident that him being out of the lineup made a huge dent on the roster.

The guy I worked with last night asked if I watched every game I tapped when I'm working. I told him most of the time I do, unless they lose something like 10-0. I guess subconsciously I knew too :laugh:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
People aren't upset because they have such a low pain threshold or are easily frightened by black cats crossing the street.

People are upset because of last year's history where a road trip ended almost identically and led to a major slump.

Isn't that completely obvious?

We are all aware.

But in terms of placement, its also much different.

We were 5th in the Atlantic instead of 1st which is an astronomical differenc.

Records are in the ballpark, but the situations are different.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
We are all aware.

But in terms of placement, its also much different.

We were 5th in the Atlantic instead of 1st which is an astronomical differenc.

Records are in the ballpark, but the situations are different.

I haven't watched yesterdays game completely yet (had to take a break, UGLY!), but it does seem quite different from the pounding we took vs the Jets last season.

We got dominated then, on the scoreboard, as well physically. Almost like we were straight intimidated.
So far, this Calgary game just seems different.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I don't know what some of you guys expected. Our team was playing it's 3rd game in the last 4 days, no Ekblad, no Gallant.

If we won this game it would've been because Calgary was absolute garbage.

I'll take this loss and refuel the tank. We can't win them all.

Greatest teams have losing streaks after winning, Panthers is nowhere near being greatest

EstConf96*

Greatest teams have losing streaks after winning, Panthers is nowhere near being greatest

giphy.gif

Are you implying that some of us did not expect to lose any more games this season when we where on the 12W game streak? Posts like these confuses me since they make no sense.

It's not the losing that makes me worry it's the way they lost.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Did not expect anything like that. Losing 6-0 to a team in the Pacific sure makes you wonder if it was a fluke. Will be trench warfare from here on to get to the playoffs.

Toronto beat the kings 5-0 in December in the same kind of situation where it was the tail end of a long eastern time-zone road trip. Heck, there loss is even more inexcusable because they had way more rest spread out than the Panthers did. These kind of games happen to everyone.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I don't expect a rubberband snap back to success against the Bolts or the Oilers. Other than the Goalies, the team has been on a downward spiral for the last half of the win streak. Even the first win streak was fraught with luck and inconsistent play. The law of averages tends to bring things back to normal and it will take a few more games and lineup or line changes before they can re-set their base and hopefully start a push towards being taken seriously again.

Granted Thornton has played adequate, but the 4th line should be all about speed. Howden and Mac are the key to the forecheck on that line and Howden should never be out of the mix. Knight has looked only okay at wing, and Nick has been terrible at FO's and getting the 3rd line moving again. I see they threw Pirri in the FO circle towards the end of the game because Nick was 1/7. Knight needs to go back to Centering the 3rd line with Nick on the Wing. If Nick still doesn't pick it up then sit him for a couple of games. Not sure what to do with Shaw as he has looked very much like an AHL guy the last 5 with little in the way of energy. Kind of think they should send him back and give Rau a shot or bring Brick back.

Can't let Barkov off the hook either. Since talk of a possible contract he has been off kilter. Terrible in the FO circle and a bit out of sorts from his normal self. I'm no longer on the bandwagon for an 8 year contract. Also, he should not receive more than $6M per on any contract. It just shows you the inconsistency that is typical of younger guys.

Strap your seat belt on as we head back to reality up to the TDL. It's going to be a dog fight from that point on as to who makes it.

ebulldog

Mar 25, 2015
So this is the excuse for losing 6-0? Bennet is going to be great.

Yea, I think it is. They spent the entire game chasing the puck and Flames players. I think 8 shots through almost 50 minutes of play proves that. I'm not upset they lost, its how they lost and have looked over the last 5 games.
Not doubt Bennett is going to be good, but the guys on NHL radio are just going a bit over board.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
I don't expect a rubberband snap back to success against the Bolts or the Oilers. Other than the Goalies, the team has been on a downward spiral for the last half of the win streak. Even the first win streak was fraught with luck and inconsistent play. The law of averages tends to bring things back to normal and it will take a few more games and lineup or line changes before they can re-set their base and hopefully start a push towards being taken seriously again.

Granted Thornton has played adequate, but the 4th line should be all about speed. Howden and Mac are the key to the forecheck on that line and Howden should never be out of the mix. Knight has looked only okay at wing, and Nick has been terrible at FO's and getting the 3rd line moving again. I see they threw Pirri in the FO circle towards the end of the game because Nick was 1/7. Knight needs to go back to Centering the 3rd line with Nick on the Wing. If Nick still doesn't pick it up then sit him for a couple of games. Not sure what to do with Shaw as he has looked very much like an AHL guy the last 5 with little in the way of energy. Kind of think they should send him back and give Rau a shot or bring Brick back.

Can't let Barkov off the hook either. Since talk of a possible contract he has been off kilter. Terrible in the FO circle and a bit out of sorts from his normal self. I'm no longer on the bandwagon for an 8 year contract. Also, he should not receive more than $6M per on any contract. It just shows you the inconsistency that is typical of younger guys.

Strap your seat belt on as we head back to reality up to the TDL. It's going to be a dog fight from that point on as to who makes it.

I agree with you about everything except Barkov. I thought he was the best Panther on the ice last night (despite that not sounding like I'm saying much). He made at least 2 or 3 noticeable defensive plays and had a couple offensive zone chances including that one right in front of the net which was poke checked away at the last second. Barkov has probably been the most consistent player over the last several weeks aside from Luongo and Montoya.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I agree with you about everything except Barkov. I thought he was the best Panther on the ice last night (despite that not sounding like I'm saying much). He made at least 2 or 3 noticeable defensive plays and had a couple offensive zone chances including that one right in front of the net which was poke checked away at the last second. Barkov has probably been the most consistent player over the last several weeks aside from Luongo and Montoya.

And when it comes to faceoffs, thats an experience skill.

Yes some are better at it baseline wise, but then you also improve as you spend more years in the league. The more years you have played, the better you will be at them. A 10 year vet with lesser faceoff skill will beat a 3 year playet with more faceoff skill in my opinion.

its no surprise to me Koivu MASSACRED our team in the faceoff circle.

same reason its not surprising to me that Dmac is our best.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado

I agree that they will be fine. These games happen. It was a great road trip.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I suppose I was a little harsh on the guy as he didn't have much help from his linemates last night. The D was also terrible with breakout passes, pinching, joining the rush, and general overall play. I think a chimp could do better than 20% in the circle, so I don't buy the experience excuse unless he was 40 to 45 most nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad