• Smith

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Gallant

Votes: 13 32.5%

• Total voters

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Sorry, 2nd best ever point finish that couldn't qualify for the playoffs. I'm so incredibly apologetic. As if that changes the point any.

And posters are not required to shower their teams with praise. If there's ever been a time to **** all over Tallon and Viola, it's now. Notice I'm not targeting anyone else? My anger isn't misguided.

Are you saying the 2nd best point finish ever, or the 2nd best point finish that didn't qualify for the playoffs? Either way, you are wrong. Our 2nd best point finish ever was in 1999-2000 with 98 points and we made the playoffs. Our 2nd best point finish and not make the playoffs was 2008-2009 when we finished with 93 points.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Making excuses for bad management and ownership is enabling. Heck, I bet you'd throw down for some season tix and merch if they TRADED Barkov.

[mod] I didn't make excuses for what they did in the expansion draft. I was pissed about it. But, I also don't know the full story. I'm not in the front office and see's what goes on daily. Their might have been others things in play. Like I said, I don't know the full story, but what I did know (or do know) I wasn't happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Panthers win a single playoff series during those 2 glorious years? Check your expectations.

Spending freely is equivalent to emotional snap judgements? Huh?

Aaaaaand, that's exactly what I'm advocating.
Yeah, like I said, one dimensional thinking. You seem to not know why they lost in the first round those two seasons, or the situation the team was in at the time. I expect them to be a top contender for years, not end up mediocre because of rash decisions due to a first round exist loss, that would be a snap decision. And like I said, why would anyone be accepting mediocrity because they don't agree with you? The reality is, it doesn't matter how many years this team hasn't made it to the playoffs, or hasn't gotten out of the first round of the playoffs, if they don't do things right, that same result will continue for another 25 years.
Spending freely is not the end all be all. Like I said, ownership staying out the way is the best impact they could make, keeping homegrown talent, and spending a little to supplement that talent.

Last edited:

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I'm just waiting on the next Vegas thread to be honest.

"Which former Panther scored the best goal this year?"

"Which former Panther staff member do you miss the most?"

"How many cups will the former Panthers win before the Panthers win a playoff series?"

I mean, the possibilities are endless dude!

If Vegas wins:

Which former Panther handled the cup better?

Which former Panther did not smile for the team photo?

Which former Panther has a chance to repeat?

The questions are endless...................................

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
[mod] I didn't make excuses for what they did in the expansion draft. I was pissed about it. But, I also don't know the full story. I'm not in the front office and see's what goes on daily. Their might have been others things in play. Like I said, I don't know the full story, but what I did know (or do know) I wasn't happy.

What difference does that make? There’s no excuse for literally throwing away assets.

Last edited by a moderator:

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
What difference does that make? There’s no excuse for literally throwing away assets.

Like I said earlier, I didn't like what we did in the expansion draft and like I also stated, there might have been more to the story then we know about. Maybe Smithy slept with the owners wife and that's why they wanted to get rid of him? I don't know everything that was and wasn't involved in the process. That was the point I was trying to make and like I said before I wasn't happy with it.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Like I said earlier, I didn't like what we did in the expansion draft and like I also stated, there might have been more to the story then we know about. Maybe Smithy slept with the owners wife and that's why they wanted to get rid of him? I don't know everything that was and wasn't involved in the process. That was the point I was trying to make and like I said before I wasn't happy with it.

Or they punched Barkov in the face

Or took a shit in Hubeys skates. Who knows right.

Reactions: cowboy82nd

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
This was the insinuation from a couple of posters that Smith had to go because of off-ice problems. Like you said it could have been numerous things. Most fall under the heading of criminal behavior where the police arrested the player and it becomes part of public record. The other is recreational drug use that is handled in-house with the NHL. This is a non starter in this case and IMO here's why.

Let's look at the leagues handling of recreational drug use by players. It's pretty much a joke as the testing is basically limited to two times during the season and they are both scheduled which makes it easy to beat. Once at the beginning and one at the end. It falls under the major heading of testing for PED's. As proof, no player was caught in 2017 using PED's (which has a mandatory suspension of 20 games).

The NHL handles recreational drug use by not outing the players but referring them to their Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program run by the leagues physicians. If the levels of the drug are substantial, the physician must refer them to a mandatory substance abuse facility. Privacy is upheld as the doctor does not have to notify the team. Recreational drug testing only became part of the overall PED drug testing in 2017. Positive tests for marijuana use is ignored.

Of course anyone with a brain knows that random testing is the gold standard and the NHL does not adhere to that standard except with one caveat. The NHL and NHLPA have agreed to a random testing of no more than 60 players during the off-season. This amounts to approximately 2 players per team. If 20 of these players tested positive and they were privately outed around the league to the various GM's it would create chaos and a ridiculous amount of player movement.

So can recreational drug use raise the red flag high enough for a teams management to get rid of them? Highly unlikely due to the fact that it's supposed to remain private and the team is supposed to handle it with compassion until it's obvious the player has no intention of getting clean.

ps: E. Kane who has been investigated a few times for sexual assault, sexual harassment and a physical assault along various malcontent incidents in the locker room still had no problem being traded at the TDL for a 1st and 4th and they didn't have to give up a 30 goal scorer to do it. Plus a new contract to boot for $7M/7yrs

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Where were all these scenarios when we dumped Kulikov and Gudbranson?
Cause they were liked in the locker room?

Luongo even posted on Twitter about Guds leaving and it was known Barkov and Kuli were friends...just for starters.

Not even a peep from the players when Marchy and Smith left (that I recall), and even Emers.

Reactions: Kellyr

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
This was the insinuation from a couple of posters that Smith had to go because of off-ice problems. Like you said it could have been numerous things. Most fall under the heading of criminal behavior where the police arrested the player and it becomes part of public record. The other is recreational drug use that is handled in-house with the NHL. This is a non starter in this case and IMO here's why.

Let's look at the leagues handling of recreational drug use by players. It's pretty much a joke as the testing is basically limited to two times during the season and they are both scheduled which makes it easy to beat. Once at the beginning and one at the end. It falls under the major heading of testing for PED's. As proof, no player was caught in 2017 using PED's (which has a mandatory suspension of 20 games).

The NHL handles recreational drug use by not outing the players but referring them to their Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program run by the leagues physicians. If the levels of the drug are substantial, the physician must refer them to a mandatory substance abuse facility. Privacy is upheld as the doctor does not have to notify the team. Recreational drug testing only became part of the overall PED drug testing in 2017. Positive tests for marijuana use is ignored.

Of course anyone with a brain knows that random testing is the gold standard and the NHL does not adhere to that standard except with one caveat. The NHL and NHLPA have agreed to a random testing of no more than 60 players during the off-season. This amounts to approximately 2 players per team. If 20 of these players tested positive and they were privately outed around the league to the various GM's it would create chaos and a ridiculous amount of player movement.

So can recreational drug use raise the red flag high enough for a teams management to get rid of them? Highly unlikely due to the fact that it's supposed to remain private and the team is supposed to handle it with compassion until it's obvious the player has no intention of getting clean.

ps: E. Kane who has been investigated a few times for sexual assault, sexual harassment and a physical assault along various malcontent incidents in the locker room still had no problem being traded at the TDL for a 1st and 4th and they didn't have to give up a 30 goal scorer to do it. Plus a new contract to boot for $7M/7yrs

And Brokin takes a discussion about friction with management and bad chemistry in the locker room to Drug use. Yikes! :help:

Reactions: Pumaconcolorcoryi

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
And Brokin takes a discussion about friction with management and bad chemistry in the locker room to Drug use. Yikes! :help:
He had to go because of friction with management? :laugh: With who, Rowe?:laugh: As I've said many times, Tallon layed it all out for you folks up in Montreal after that fact:

"Analytics took a more important place in the game. We made some mistakes... and thank god I'm back" Then he mocked the franchise by saying there were more reporters in the room in Montreal than the Cats get in attendance for a game. If that isn't a "pure ego" trip, I don't know what is. In his mind he's the straw that stirs the drink.

The talk about there might have been more to the story than we know involving friction with mgt is nonsense. Off the ice issues? The only thing that is viable is possible recreational drug use and the way the NHL runs their program..............it's highly unlikely. You want to buy into something like the fantasy with Mgt that's mentioned above, be my guest. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kid Icarus

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Cause they were liked in the locker room?

Luongo even posted on Twitter about Guds leaving and it was known Barkov and Kuli were friends...just for starters.

Not even a peep from the players when Marchy and Smith left (that I recall), and even Emers.

While this is an interesting observation, it's not like there was a lot of public backlash following 2016 exodus aside from Willie Mitchell yelling from his rocking chair and rumors that Gallant & Tallon fumed about the moves by the calculators. Crying about the Guds, Kuli, etc. moves didn't have the desired impact on management, so perhaps the expansion moves inspired nothing more than a shoulder shrug from those unlucky enough to remain on the roster. Just speculation vs speculation.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
While this is an interesting observation, it's not like there was a lot of public backlash following 2016 exodus aside from Willie Mitchell yelling from his rocking chair and rumors that Gallant & Tallon fumed about the moves by the calculators. Crying about the Guds, Kuli, etc. moves didn't have the desired impact on management, so perhaps the expansion moves inspired nothing more than a shoulder shrug from those unlucky enough to remain on the roster. Just speculation vs speculation.

Speculation vs. Facts though.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Trochek wasn’t happy either, especially with sacking Gallant. His comments were not as hostile though, but obviously he can’t bad mouth his managers in public.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
....rumors that Gallant & Tallon fumed about the moves by the calculators....
Okay now we're getting somewhere.

So Tallon traded March and Smith as compensation to help his friend Gallant, deftly using the owners' internal budget as justification....and he got rid of guys that the calculators loved.....revenge complete....only thing missing is the Dale Vader costume...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad