Confirmed with Link: Panarin/Motte/2017 6th to Columbus for Saad/Anton Forsberg/2018 5th

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Panarin was a bit of a one trick pony on the PP and functioned best almost exclusively on the Kane line. When moved to toews for a bit he disappeared. And the POs he was very underwhelming. Note that the two years Saad has been gone we haven't won a round.

Sir Loin

Apr 19, 2014
Chicago
This seems a strange deal to me from the Columbus perspective. They made the playoffs and are on the rise.

Now that you mentioned it, yeah it's weird on their end. Why DO you part with a Brandon Saad? Not a rhetorical question. Can someone explain how this works at all for the Jackets?

HLLYWD99

Mar 8, 2011
Amherstburg
panarin was a bit of a one trick pony on the pp and functioned best almost exclusively on the kane line. When moved to toews for a bit he disappeared. And the pos he was very underwhelming. Note that the two years saad has been gone we haven't won a round.

^^^this^^^

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
He was more then complacent

he actively hurt team with his poor moves of last 2+ years

I'm not going to deny that. He was delusional about how good the roster was. It reminded me a lot of 11 and 12. I was frightened he would sit back and make small additions again, but this team is older and needed youth and size. And he got it. He did what we wanted him to do. The old Stan does nothing, watches it rot and blames Q. The new Stan grabs the league by the you know what and says I'm taking what I want and you're gonna let me do it with a smile on your face the whole way.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Now that you mentioned it, yeah it's weird on their end. Why DO you part with a Brandon Saad? Not a rhetorical question. Can someone explain how this works at all for the Jackets?

They have to think Panarin is much better than Saad, given the difference in term.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
This seems a strange deal to me from the Columbus perspective. They made the playoffs and are on the rise.

And how will Panarin mesh with their HC after RyJo didn't? Will he demand Panarin block shots or will he play him like Q overtly utlizing him in offensive zone spots at 80% offensive usage. Will he struggle not being like that? The most forward Ozone start usage was Winneberg at just under 60% for CBJ, I know he's a good passer so maybe they think that will be the pair to go with.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011

The coaching staff didn't seem to like saad. I seem to remember him getting benched or demoted.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
Panarin was a bit of a one trick pony on the PP and functioned best almost exclusively on the Kane line. When moved to toews for a bit he disappeared. And the POs he was very underwhelming. Note that the two years Saad has been gone we haven't won a round.

Exactly how I feel, I think we won this trade, and we're going to be a better team because of it.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
Hawks get worse because Panarin is the better player. But I've been pretty pessimistic about Hawks chance of retaining Panarin beyond his current bridge contract. A year from now, Panarin's gonna want 8M+ on his next deal. That's Columbus' problem now.

Overall I'm okay with this trade. Probably win-win trade for both teams.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Panarin's pts without Kane is an interesting question. I'd probably set the over under at 65 assuming health. I'd say he takes a small drop in production.

I like Panarin, but if Saad didn't get along with Torts ... how is Panarin going to work? Panarin can loaf like Kane on the defensive end.

Aestivalis

Oct 29, 2013
The one way it works for Columbus is that they have plenty of lunch pail kind of players. One elite scorer could put them over the top, or at least get them out of the first round. Opposite is true for us. Good trade.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Which 6th rounder did we give up to Clbs in this trade ?

I just checked. .we give up #181..we still have our #170 in the 6th..the #181 was our own pick slot.

Last edited:

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
The most tasteful, bittersweet trade the Hawks have made in...?

Wish the Breadman the best, I'm sure Kane will miss him on the ice the most.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
One thing is for certain, we'll find out how great Kane is ... somewhat dependent on Panarin's production next year.

arsenalgooner

Nov 2, 2011
I'll admit I don't understand why people think this is in any way a bad trade? Panarin's career high is 31 goals last year. Saad's career high is 31 goals two years ago. Panarin has had more assists, but he played, I think, almost exclusively with Kane, so he'd have to really try not to get assists... Saad drives to the net with or without the puck (or at least he used to when he was last here). Saad's younger, is a better two way player, and is signed longer term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad