Confirmed with Link: Panarin/Motte/2017 6th to Columbus for Saad/Anton Forsberg/2018 5th

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Without getting into a big thing, a GM has to make a decision based on the information he has available. Just because the CAD tanked doesn't mean Bowman was "playing the market".

You insiuate that he was reckless with wild speciation when in reality he just didn't see a crash or whatever you want to call it coming. Who did?

If I buy a house using reasonable assumptions given market conditions, and then the housing market tanks and the value of my home goes to crap, that doesn't mean I was playing the market.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Without getting into a big thing, a GM has to make a decision based on the information he has available. Just because the CAD tanked doesn't mean Bowman was "playing the market".

You insiuate that he was reckless with wild speciation when in reality he just didn't see a crash or whatever you want to call it coming. Who did?

If I buy a house using reasonable assumptions given market conditions, and then the housing market tanks and the value of my home goes to crap, that doesn't mean I was playingpthe market.
It depends. Did you buy the house:
1. for the long term?
2. to speculate?

If you bought the house to live in for a long time, it really doesn't matter if the house is up or down. Any reasonable buyer will have enough financial cushion for the potential ups and downs of the NAV on the house. They don't let the market DICTATE their purchase.

However, if you're looking to time the market and hope to buy the house at an "affordable" price ... that's when market volatility matters. That's how the 2008 Financial Crisis occurred. Everyone was over leveraged assuming the market was sustainable.

A good manager tries to hedge the volatility and limit their exposure only to their core competency. It's the biggest mistake for a lot of corporate CEOs.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Did anyone watch the incredible performance by Panarin tonight?

Crick-cough(Stan)-ets

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
This isn't the Panarin we would have got this year anyway, so it's a moot point.

Sure, it would have been great to have Panarin drive his own line and Cat slip into his spot opposite Kane but neither of those things were going to happen with Q in charge. Instead we would have had Cat earning his stripes in the bottom 6 and Panarin standing around without the puck waiting for a pass from Kane.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
This isn't the Panarin we would have got this year anyway, so it's a moot point.

Sure, it would have been great to have Panarin drive his own line and Cat slip into his spot opposite Kane but neither of those things were going to happen with Q in charge. Instead we would have had Cat earning his stripes in the bottom 6 and Panarin standing around without the puck waiting for a pass from Kane.

I think this is a fair point. And I don't think Panarin alone was pushing this team into a playoff spot, so all of this post-season stuff wouldn't be happening. And after all of that he would still be leaving as a FA because the Hawks couldn't afford to keep him, which has a lot to do with why they moved him in the first place.

Again, if Saad has a normal season for him production wise people are talking a lot less about this. His subpar season just contrasts Panarin's good season all that much more. I hold no ill will toward Panarin either. Good for him and good for Jackets fans. I just think people assuming that was going to happen had he stayed here may be mistaken, and Saad's season really clouds that further with a lot of fans.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Ya, but that doesn't fit the narrative that "Stanley" is a shit GM, so that point will be totally ignored by several posters here.

Reactions: jls24 and BK

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Honestly, I'm glad for Panarin that he got traded. I don't think he would have ever turned into the player he is right now for Columbus, playing with Kane. He just didn't have to be. You could see the bad habits developing in his second season. Deferring too much to Kane, being too predictable and camping out like Ovie on the left boards... Not driving the puck, and being the guy drawing the defenders and then setting up his teammates. He has pretty much turned into Patrick Kane on Columbus. A guy 100% capable of carrying his line and the offense. A threat every single time he has the puck. This kid is getting paid. Big time. He's one of the best LW in the game. Oh, and he's a much better two-way player than Kane, to boot.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
He's a much better player than Havlat. More physical, better shooter, better vision. Havlat was good, but Panarin is on another level.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Better. Just glad the Hawks moved on from Havlat in 2009 and brought in Hossa...

And I think BK nailed it. He's more dynamic, for sure.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
He was, just never for long. Havlat was our best player in 09, playoffs included.

Panarin is 09 Havlat. Better?

Was the only season he actually played an entire season without injury, I believe. Maybe one in Minny? He was hurt every.single.season. Sucks, because he had a pretty solid career, even with all the injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad