Confirmed with Link: Panarin/Motte/2017 6th to Columbus for Saad/Anton Forsberg/2018 5th

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Guy scored 500+ points and remains a what if story. Made enough money to be generationally wealthy. I'd say that's a pretty damn solid career.
When Havlat was healthy, he was a monster. Unfortunately, he only played half the season. Durability is part of one's legacy. Durability is a talent. Panarin is better than Havlat.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
So Panarin has his best season ever, the best season by anyone on the Blue Jackets, and is carrying his own line in the playoffs with the numbers to back it up. Saad has his worst season ever, doesn't re-ignite Toews or turn the Toews line into the dominant possession and shutdown line it was previously like he was brought here to do. The trade looks horrendous and will continue to look that way unless Saad has a major turnaround.

With that said, I agree with Pez. I don't think we'd ever get this version of Panarin had he stayed here. He's THE guy in Columbus, instead of being the guy that Kane loves to play with the most like he'd be glued into being as here in Chicago. Reminds me a bit of the Bruins trading Seguin away. Bad trade, shouldn't have been made, but it's disingenuous to think that the player in Dallas is the same as the one that would've been playing in Boston. Don't forget that Panarin was showing a lot of qualities that were making him expendable

I think the only differences between this year's Hawks with Panarin on the team would be that Kane flirts with 90 points instead of 80 and the Hawks would be a bubble team that still misses the playoffs instead of being picking #7.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
A point that hasn't been mentioned much here is him being a UFA and signing with any team he wants next year. If we kept him til that point, we'd be a better team, but there isn't anything stopping him from shopping around even if we did make him a $10m a year offer.

Just look at Radulov. He signed with Montreal for a season, had a hell of a year for himself, but jumped ship to Dallas despite Montreal offering a similar deal. Tavares, Karlsson, Carlsson, and Doughty are some other big name players who will be, or at least are currently contemplating, jumping ship in the near future despite being a big part of their respective teams locker room.

Panarin could've ran off for nothing, wanting to get out of Kane's shadow, and the Hawks would've been left with nothing to show for it (unless Panarin being on this team next season would've resulted in a cup, certainly wouldn't have been the case this year).

Maybe the Hawks get a bit more if we traded him this offseason, but that's tough to say. The player we did get in return is young and has been a fan favorite here for a number of years. Saad's bound to bounce back from his worst season in his career.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Instead of worrying about Toews, I’d like to see if we can find someone who plays well with Saad. Not sure what he needs from his linemates. Kane works best with a RH finisher, always has, so Cat plays with him. Toews seems to play best with speedy players these days, so Hino with him, maybe Duke as well if he picks it up. Don’t know about Saad though, what would be best for him in a Center, maybe a playmaker with some speed. Maybe put another big body on the other wing, not sure.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Instead of worrying about Toews, I’d like to see if we can find someone who plays well with Saad. Not sure what he needs from his linemates. Kane works best with a RH finisher, always has, so Cat plays with him. Toews seems to play best with speedy players these days, so Hino with him, maybe Duke as well if he picks it up. Don’t know about Saad though, what would be best for him in a Center, maybe a playmaker with some speed. Maybe put another big body on the other wing, not sure.
Yep. I'm tired of reconfiguring the lines "to get Toews going." It's time Toews get himself going.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Saad wouldn't look bad with Svechnikov on his opposite wing...

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Saad wouldn't look bad with Svechnikov on his opposite wing...

giphy.gif

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
For the people saying or agreeing with “Panarin would have left after two years for nothing” can you please open your mind and think for a second.

Year 1/4 you get 35 points out of Saad, he is a failure and team misses playoffs losing big money

This means he only has 3 years left which I doubt he goes much above 50 points.

Wouldn’t you rather have an 82 point Panarin and a high possibility of the team making the playoffs this past year due to the extra 30 goals produced when he was on the ice?

He also has one more year which could very well be a 90 point year which all the young guys for the hawks are just breaking out and a Panarin next year can really put this team over the top. Instead we are gonna have a mediocre Saad.

I just don’t understand anyone in their right mind can take Saad over Panarin even with their contracts. Heck Saad is not even living up to the contract so losing Panarin for nothing would conclude a positive and even if he goes back to his 50 point form that’s just barely worthy the contract and it’s not that much of a win. Also all this talk about Saad being this amazing two way forward that up and beyond Panarin’s two way game is very debateable and Saad was bad in his own zone this year.

Now the wishing and hoping and theorizing that Panarin would not have stayed after is also a stretch as most likely he would have wanted to stay on the side of Kane. In terms of his contract, honestly he would be worth every penny of that 9-10 million dollar contract. I would trade Toews in a heartbeat for Panarin. We have 4 very highly paid players combined overpaid by about 13 million, how can anyone even complain about paying a 82+ point player 9-10M when he is actually earning it???

I am just so mind boggled how people can even come up with these ideas it makes my brain hurt...

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
We made the playoffs last season and somehow it hurt more than this season. We're not winning jack shit this year without a healthy Crow.

Someone needs to think for more than just a second...

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I'm sorry, but am I reading this correctly? You want Panarin to keep scoring, not because you still want to cheer for him as a player, but because you want the Blackhawks organization to look bad.

Gotta love HF Hawks logic.

Lol what?

Correct. One season of pure tanking, a 3 goal 4 game sweep out of the playoffs, lazy play across the board from core veterans for 3 years (besides Crow/Kane/Hossa), a whole myriad of issues with the coaching system employed along with some poorly thought out trades and what do the Blackhawks conclude??

That, we're good to go and no changes need to be made in staff or management.

Thus, any bad press is good press if it means putting pressure on the organization. The better Panarin does in these playoffs the worse Bowman looks according to the Hockey press where he's already taken some heat, but not near enough heat.

We have a very friendly fanbase and media base in Chicago and, quite frankly, the brass & staff don't receive much of the criticism they deserve. No one wants the media to be Canada bad but it's been 3 years of sub par coaching and sub par player moves with the saving grace being a couple draft picks thus the organization should be seeing more pressure than they are.

Plus, yeah, I like Panarin..duh.

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
They're certainly able to be called poorly thought out but again it shouldn't be ignored or considered an excuse to keep pointing out it's was long term deals made. A big key point pushed out about the trades was cap & contract security.

If they kept Panarin you'd have that big Schmaltz and him deal upcoming and still want to out more money on D for someone good and young.

The way they're set up its not being a cap crippled team at all the next 2-3 years. Unless they make some bad big deals like any legit UFA questionable signing. And that's the situation with still having a chance to open more space by trading Hossa or AA.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
We made the playoffs last season and somehow it hurt more than this season. We're not winning jack **** this year without a healthy Crow.

Someone needs to think for more than just a second...

I think that's a not only a fair point, but also a huge indictment against the core and what they contributed this past season. The core had chances to step it up but never did.

Although I disagree: this season hurt way more. The only guy who played like he was embarrassed about his play against Nashville was Crawford.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Bring back Panarin in 2020 :)

Too late we lost him when he was most valuable playing like a 10M player while getting paid nearly half of that and people seem to be celebrating that as a good thing lol

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Panarin would cost only near half 10 mil for next season... even not on the roster he still cost around that extra 3 mil this season because of last seasons bonuses. Some guys got bonus's this year but it certainly is less than last years I believe.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Too late we lost him when he was most valuable playing like a 10M player while getting paid nearly half of that and people seem to be celebrating that as a good thing lol

How is it too late when you said in an earlier post, “honestly he would be worth every penny of that 9-10 million dollar contract. I would trade Toews in a heartbeat for Panarin.”

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
How is it too late when you said in an earlier post, “honestly he would be worth every penny of that 9-10 million dollar contract. I would trade Toews in a heartbeat for Panarin.”

We all know Toew’s contract can’t be moved and just team just can’t have 3 players eating up 31 million... add Seabrook to the mix you have 4 players getting paid 40 million.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Schmaltz-Toews-Duclair
Debrincat-Anisimov-Kane
Saad-Kampf-Hinostroza
Sikura-Ejdsell-Hayden

Reactions: ColdSteel2

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
Schmaltz-Toews-Duclair
Debrincat-Anisimov-Kane
Saad-Kampf-Hinostroza
Sikura-Ejdsell-Hayden
I like it. I'd be a little worried with Duclair seeing tough matchups but Toews and Schmaltz should be able to insulate him. I can also see a handful of other guys pushing for Duke's and Ejdsell's spots.

That 3rd line would be a possession monster and really create matchup problems for other teams.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Schmaltz-Toews-Duclair
Debrincat-Anisimov-Kane
Saad-Kampf-Hinostroza
Sikura-Ejdsell-Hayden

That team misses the playoffs again, failed once and it will fail again, you can’t do the same thing and expect different results, changes have to be made.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
That team misses the playoffs again, failed once and it will fail again, you can’t do the same thing and expect different results, changes have to be made.
Depends on who we have in net.

We continue to under rate Crow. He is really really good.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

We didn’t see this lineup once this season, how is it doing the same thing?

Schmaltz didn’t play with Toews, despite bringing the best out of Toews two years ago. DeBrincat didn’t play with Kane, despite Kane doing well with a right handed sniper on his left wing.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
We didn’t see this lineup once this season, how is it doing the same thing?

Schmaltz didn’t play with Toews, despite bringing the best out of Toews two years ago. DeBrincat didn’t play with Kane, despite Kane doing well with a right handed sniper on his left wing.

It's the same personnel. If you think the differnece between making the playoffs and not making them were simple line combos then you simply don't know what you are talking about and still stuck in the idea that these players listed are some how anything above average. This team is filled with average to below average guys and no matter the combos you get the same result. Addition of Crow MIGHT(the way the team played infront of the goalies the second half I even doubt that) squeeze them in but they lose in the first round.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Depends on who we have in net.

We continue to under rate Crow. He is really really good.

I don't know about you but my expectation of this team is not just to squeeze in the playoffs with a team that is not worthy and just carried in there by the goalie. I want some excitement and adrenaline pumping when watching the games because otherwise what's the point? I watch the games to have fun and let go of the life's responsibilities for a couple hours. Watching the team pinned in their own end while the goalie making save after save is not entertaining hockey...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad