Rumor: Pagnotta/4th Period- Canucks had a trade in place for Myers and a contract offer ready for Klingberg, NTCs got in the way possibly in Myers trade.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
It’s not a debate if only one person is making an argument and the other is responding ‘nice try’ and then moving the goalposts. I mean which is it, is Klingberg ‘more than adequate defensively’ or ‘not terrible’?

And I never said Myers was better defensively than Kilingberg, I said he was ‘probably a better fit for the Canucks’ mostly due to the fact Myers can be physical, like he was when in the bubble. On the contrary, Klingberg’s main value would be as a PP1 QB, which we already have.

I have a feeling Myers with OEL was better defensively in 2022 than Klingberg but I’m not going to bother finding it just to be told ‘nice try’ in the face of evidence.

And in any case, I don’t care as it’s irrelevant to the main point, which is (as all Nucks fans should know) that we need a defensively responsible top 4 RHD and that’s not Klingberg, at least not for the last few seasons.

Well I think we actually agree that Klingberg isn't the best fit for the Canucks.

Klingberg is a great transition player; good skater and passer. He's surprisingly physical and a very tenacious player in the boards. I think his defensive game is under-rated. Buuuuut he's going to cost a pretty penny for a long term.

I don't believe using analytics is evidence against anything I've said. I've said Klingberg is a better player in all areas of the ice. Where is the evidence that he's not?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Because he's UFA and costs too much now. Pretty much par the course for how teams are managed nowadays. Good players walk to free agency for a myriad of reasons but it's usually CAP that team's are trying to accumulate. So basically Klingberg should be a finishing addition to an already contending team - that ain't Dallas.

And I wonder if you've taken time to actually watch Klingberg play? Probably not.

I'm not sitting here saying we should be chasing down Klingberg. My original comment was that in no part of the ice is Myers a better player than Klingberg. We would be a much better team if we swapped the two.

The issue with Klingberg is obviously term - would it just be better to have Myers for 2 more years instead of Klingberg for 6? You'd be surprised! I'd rather not have Klingberg.

I have watched him, he is a better version of Myers only in that he scores more, he is a nightmare in his own zone, which is exactly why Stars fans are fine with him walking. Which is also why he finished -28.

We would score more, and be scored on more, no, we wouldn't be a much better team with him, and it would be the dumbest move this regime could make, signing another offensive dman to a bloated contract.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010

Attachments

• Kevin-Malone-See-World-Quote-Cover-750x375.jpg
    Kevin-Malone-See-World-Quote-Cover-750x375.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 3

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
RHD are always seen as valuable assets by GMs though. They're a rare quantity so the Canucks have that going for them.
Erik Johnson is a more credentialed, big RHD making the same money without the 2nd year of being overpaid like he and Myers are. And I’m under no illusions EJ carries much if any value in this flat cap era. And he’s a rental so he should be more valuable.

myers will be impossible to trade right now without taking back a sizable contract. There is definitely no futures only deal for him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Myers might want to stay out West because his brother is probably going to get traded from the Knicks to the jazz in the Donovan Mitchell deal lol

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
More Canadian tier bullshit because the summer is coming to a crawl and VAN hasn't done anything
Nothing is going to happen for the rest of the off-season, get used to it and stop believe these Canadian "insiders" trying to stir the pot and get attention, f*** is it annoying

I know, the hubris among so called insiders is laughable, they get one thing right every now and then and the numbnuts are slobbering all over them and taking their word as gospel.

You want to know why a Canadian team hasn't won a cup in nearly 30 years, it's these kinds of fans. The loudmouths with entitlement issues.

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
Canucks involved in trade rumors that end up being nothing? I'm shocked.

At this point it's looking like Allvin is allergic to trades and seems content to walk into training camp with this godawful blueline and Miller without a new contract.

Benning was awful but at least he did stuff sometimes.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

At this point it's looking like Allvin is allergic to trades and seems content to walk into training camp with this godawful blueline and Miller without a new contract.

To be fair, the stuff Benning did usually hurt the team. Benning doing nothing would have been preferable.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I’d target Rasmus Anderson now that they have Tanev and Weegar that can play RHD.
Don't like the storyline of this imo.
Whimper move to spend assets to acquire a player taken with the pick the Canucks traded away, especially after the Canucks lost that trade. Makes me feel gross. I'd rather they offersheeted Mangiapane or Kylington.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC
If the Klingberg holdout is really about signing in Vancouver then I call up Kyle Davidson in Chicago and pay whatever it takes for them to take Dickinson and Pearson (and Poolman??). 2024 1st and Hoglander fork it. Myers just had his best year as a Canuck and keeping him is probably ideal.
Hughes - Klingberg
OEL - Myers
Rathbone - Schenn
Dermott
Burroughs
Then with the current forward group I think this is a top team in the pacific.

I am so glad you are no the GM. Why would you sign Klingberg when his main point is running the PP and we already have Hughes there. What we need is a defensive right handed defenseman lol

Edit: Yes, let's trade away more cost controlled assets so we can use the cap space on something that won't turn the team into a contender.

Last edited:

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
I have watched him, he is a better version of Myers only in that he scores more, he is a nightmare in his own zone, which is exactly why Stars fans are fine with him walking. Which is also why he finished -28.
Why are you talking for Stars fans? He'd still be our 2nd best D if we signed him. We're fine with him walking because of our cap not because he's shit. He's a good defenseman to have in your top 4. He might bounce back to a top 2 now that he's away from Bowness hockey.

Not sure if he's a fit gor Vancouver in particular though, but that's outside my point.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
As a fan of a rival team to Vancouver, this would be hilariously Benning-like to trade an overpaid one dimensional d man for an even more expensive, longer term, one dimensional d man.

Please make it happen Rutherford!
For sure! It still wouldn’t be nearly as bad as Holland giving a long term $9.25 million contract to a number 2 D like Nurse. A Benning-like move indeed!

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Even setting the Canucks component of this aside though...what exactly is the holdup with Klingberg signing? What is he waiting for?

Did he just completely overestimate his market and held out until everyone ran out of cap space? Or is he actually waiting for someone to make a move to fit him in? I could see either being possible. But it's hard to imagine NHL General Managers not tripping over themselves to offer a 50pt RHD a regrettable contract. They don't typically have that kind of restraint when it comes to those sort of players. Unless they're truly viewing him the same way they looked at Barrie post-Avs before his rehabilitation stint.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Even setting the Canucks component of this aside though...what exactly is the holdup with Klingberg signing? What is he waiting for?

Did he just completely overestimate his market and held out until everyone ran out of cap space? Or is he actually waiting for someone to make a move to fit him in? I could see either being possible. But it's hard to imagine NHL General Managers not tripping over themselves to offer a 50pt RHD a regrettable contract. They don't typically have that kind of restraint when it comes to those sort of players. Unless they're truly viewing him the same way they looked at Barrie post-Avs before his rehabilitation stint.
I think it is harder for PP1 dmen to get paid when a lot of teams already have a one just as good, but cheaper. Is his Defensive game better than Barries?

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

If it is poor moves, it is better to do nothing sometimes. This managements hand's are pretty tied because of all the bad moves Benning made to ruin the salary cap and leave no prospects.

It is going to take time and patience to clean up the mess Benning left. Get used to that idea.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think it is harder for PP1 dmen to get paid when a lot of teams already have a one just as good, but cheaper. Is his Defensive game better than Barries?

I would say his all-around/defensive game is a pretty solid notch above guys like Barrie, DeAngelo, et al. Not a high bar to hurdle, but Klingberg can still play and contribute 5v5. I'd rather pay a bit more for that, personally.

But maybe that's all there is to it. Klingberg was expecting a bigtime Star Defenceman contract, and the market was only willing to pay him like those other guys. It's just hard to think that he wouldn't have cruised to that bigger contract almost on reputation alone by now.

It's just a kind of strange situation to still have hanging this late into the UFA Summer. It's really just Klingberg and Kadri still left without a chair. And the Kadri thing absolutely makes sense that he'd still be hanging. That kind of contract year explosion on a dynamo team is going to set off alarm bells for even the most spend-happy GM. Not to mention he's likely wanting to pick a spot where he can play for a competitive team (like Klingberg presumably). But Klingberg...with how defence-starved this league is, and how coveted RHD tend to be, it just feels a little funky that he's still left hanging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad