Rumor: Pagnotta/4th Period- Canucks had a trade in place for Myers and a contract offer ready for Klingberg, NTCs got in the way possibly in Myers trade.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I hope not. Klingberg is not very good defensively. Myers might even be better for this team currently, albeit not at his current cap. Wonder what they would have given Klingberg. Maybe they still will…

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I hope not. Klingberg is not very good defensively. Myers might even be better for this team currently, albeit not at his current cap. Wonder what they would have given Klingberg. Maybe they still will…

I couldn't disagree more.

Klingberg is an excellent puck mover and more than adequate defensively. Pretty much better than Myers in all areas of the ice.

theKRAKhouse

Jul 22, 2021
That was nothing more than speculation on their point. That’s what these guys do, speculate. “I wonder if this might involve JT Miller….”. Ya, ok Elliote.

That potential Isles/Canucks trade was nothing more than a pick swap, 13 for 15 + something. A deal involving complicated pieces like Myers and Miller didn’t fall apart on the draft floor and it’s foolish to think it did.
Suppose it’s nothing more than speculation on your point

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I couldn't disagree more.

Klingberg is an excellent puck mover and more than adequate defensively. Pretty much better than Myers in all areas of the ice.
Here’s an article with plenty of stats showing how terrible Klingberg has been the last 2 years. Although it argues this is due to Bowness’ system.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Just trade Miller for Severson to ad the need for a D.
Pretty sure Canucks fans have said about 28127 times they don’t want Severson but I don’t see Klingberg as that much of an upgrade.
Severson plus what?
I’d rather sign Miller to the contract he wants than the contract Severson will want.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Here’s an article with plenty of stats showing how terrible Klingberg has been the last 2 years. Although it argues this is due to Bowness’ system.

Nice try. He's not terrible though.

If you want to get in to an analytics debate, put Myers's charts up too. Since you figure Myers is better defensively than Klingberg these graphs should paint that picture too.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa

If you want to get in to an analytics debate, put Myers's charts up too. Since you figure Myers is better defensively than Klingberg these graphs should paint that

If you want to get in to an analytics debate, put Myers's charts up too. Since you figure Myers is better defensively than Klingberg these graphs should paint that picture too.
It’s not a debate if only one person is making an argument and the other is responding ‘nice try’ and then moving the goalposts. I mean which is it, is Klingberg ‘more than adequate defensively’ or ‘not terrible’?

And I never said Myers was better defensively than Kilingberg, I said he was ‘probably a better fit for the Canucks’ mostly due to the fact Myers can be physical, like he was when in the bubble. On the contrary, Klingberg’s main value would be as a PP1 QB, which we already have.

I have a feeling Myers with OEL was better defensively in 2022 than Klingberg but I’m not going to bother finding it just to be told ‘nice try’ in the face of evidence.

And in any case, I don’t care as it’s irrelevant to the main point, which is (as all Nucks fans should know) that we need a defensively responsible top 4 RHD and that’s not Klingberg, at least not for the last few seasons.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
More Canadian tier bullshit because the summer is coming to a crawl and VAN hasn't done anything
Nothing is going to happen for the rest of the off-season, get used to it and stop believe these Canadian "insiders" trying to stir the pot and get attention, f*** is it annoying
Now you know how countries outside the US feel about the general news cycle.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Then im not really sure why you think the ship has sailed in trading Myers?

He has a 10 team no trade clause sure but thats hardly a big hurdle. 22 teams you can still work with.

In fact, it would be a very smart move for a team to trade for Myers now.... get him for nothing or even have the Canucks add asset, then flip him yourself in 1.5 season at the Trade deadline and soak in the assets one will receive for Myers all for rostering him for 1.5 seasons. A smart GM would jump on this, I dont know if Allvin and Rutherford have the patience to keep him for 1.5 seasons and get the assets back for themselves, i feel they want to revamp this team asap.
No that’s dumb. No team is going to pay out $9-10M of actual money for a 2nd round pick.

Reactions: McJedi

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Then im not really sure why you think the ship has sailed in trading Myers?

He has a 10 team no trade clause sure but thats hardly a big hurdle. 22 teams you can still work with.

In fact, it would be a very smart move for a team to trade for Myers now.... get him for nothing or even have the Canucks add asset, then flip him yourself in 1.5 season at the Trade deadline and soak in the assets one will receive for Myers all for rostering him for 1.5 seasons. A smart GM would jump on this, I dont know if Allvin and Rutherford have the patience to keep him for 1.5 seasons and get the assets back for themselves, i feel they want to revamp this team asap.
Isn’t that obvious. Myers isn’t a rental. He’s a very expensive bottom pair RHD making $12mm over the next two years. Not $3mm at the 2024 deadline.

Until next year, he’s a lesser Josh Manson making more money. You have to absorb 2 years of his over market contract. Makes him negative value this year.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Isn’t that obvious. Myers isn’t a rental. He’s a very expensive bottom pair RHD making $12mm over the next two years. Not $3mm at the 2024 deadline.

Until next year, he’s a lesser Josh Manson making more money. You have to absorb 2 years of his over market contract. Makes him negative value this year.

It depends how GMs view him. If they look at the previous couple of years before last, then you'd be right. But last year he was a pretty solid #3-4 defenseman. If a GM has a short term view (which most have), then they might view Myers as something positive.

Canuckle

West Coast Express
Feb 20, 2008
I don't get the signing of Mikheyev to be honest unless Alvin is set on trading JT Miller. Having Kuzmenko and Hoglander on the 4th line just doesn't make sense. If we hadn't signed Mikheyev we could've signed Klingberg without moving Myers and put Schenn at 3rd pair where he should be.

Hughes - Myers
OEL - Klingberg
Dermott - Schenn

Burroughs
Poolman
Rathbone

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It depends how GMs view him. If they look at the previous couple of years before last, then you'd be right. But last year he was a pretty solid #3-4 defenseman. If a GM has a short term view (which most have), then they might view Myers as something positive.
If Bjorkstrand and McDonagh are viewed as having little to no value and traded that way… as cap space continues to disappear while sellers of big contracts vastly outnumber the buyers of same…. Myers is definitely negative value. But Vancouver won’t need to find out. They can simply play Myers this year.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
If Bjorkstrand and McDonagh are viewed as having little to no value and traded that way… as cap space continues to disappear while sellers of big contracts vastly outnumber the buyers of same…. Myers is definitely negative value. But Vancouver won’t need to find out. They can simply play Myers this year.

RHD are always seen as valuable assets by GMs though. They're a rare quantity so the Canucks have that going for them.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
what a terrible rumor. No chance the Islanders wanted Myers at 6 million with Dobson Pulock and Mayfield on the RD and little to no cap space

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Wow that really proves him wrong, looks to me like you and a couple other posters are so blinded by the fact that Klingberg can score that you aren't capable of seeing how bad he is defensively. Finished -28 by the way, almost every Stars fan is fine with him walking, wonder why?

Last edited:

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Wow that really proves him wrong, looks to me like you and a couple other posters are so blinded by the fact that Klingberg can score that you aren't capable of seeing how bad he is defensively. Finished -28 by the way, almost every Stars fan is fine with him walking, wonder why?

Because he's UFA and costs too much now. Pretty much par the course for how teams are managed nowadays. Good players walk to free agency for a myriad of reasons but it's usually CAP that team's are trying to accumulate. So basically Klingberg should be a finishing addition to an already contending team - that ain't Dallas.

And I wonder if you've taken time to actually watch Klingberg play? Probably not.

I'm not sitting here saying we should be chasing down Klingberg. My original comment was that in no part of the ice is Myers a better player than Klingberg. We would be a much better team if we swapped the two.

The issue with Klingberg is obviously term - would it just be better to have Myers for 2 more years instead of Klingberg for 6? You'd be surprised! I'd rather not have Klingberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad