Rumor: Pagnotta/4th Period- Canucks had a trade in place for Myers and a contract offer ready for Klingberg, NTCs got in the way possibly in Myers trade.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Why are you talking for Stars fans? He'd still be our 2nd best D if we signed him. We're fine with him walking because of our cap not because he's shit. He's a good defenseman to have in your top 4. He might bounce back to a top 2 now that he's away from Bowness hockey.

Not sure if he's a fit gor Vancouver in particular though, but that's outside my point.

Not talking for anyone, relaying what I have seen Stars fans say over and over all year, just because one stars fan says otherwise isn't exactly convincing, he is an offensive dman, he is there to put up points, he has not looked good in his own end in while , he is at the very least below average defensively, and more importantly, the last type of Dman the Canucks should be looking to sign

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, Tyler Myers doesn't have NTC, he has a 10-team no-trade list. I highly doubt Texas would be on it since, yknow, he grew up there and all that. But that's Vancouver media for you, "I dunno if NTCs got in the way" is the kind of non-committal rhetoric that incenses people to moonwalk into the discussion and dab on something that doesn't even exist.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I would say his all-around/defensive game is a pretty solid notch above guys like Barrie, DeAngelo, et al. Not a high bar to hurdle, but Klingberg can still play and contribute 5v5. I'd rather pay a bit more for that, personally.

But maybe that's all there is to it. Klingberg was expecting a bigtime Star Defenceman contract, and the market was only willing to pay him like those other guys. It's just hard to think that he wouldn't have cruised to that bigger contract almost on reputation alone by now.

It's just a kind of strange situation to still have hanging this late into the UFA Summer. It's really just Klingberg and Kadri still left without a chair. And the Kadri thing absolutely makes sense that he'd still be hanging. That kind of contract year explosion on a dynamo team is going to set off alarm bells for even the most spend-happy GM. Not to mention he's likely wanting to pick a spot where he can play for a competitive team (like Klingberg presumably). But Klingberg...with how defence-starved this league is, and how coveted RHD tend to be, it just feels a little funky that he's still left hanging.
They both probably have a preferred landing spot(s) and won't settle until closer to camp. Teams like Anh, Buffalo, etc will likely give them good money on 1 year deals looking to flip them at TDL as a worst case scenerio.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
all these Klingberg talk makes me think our local media is delirious for anything to happen no matter how nonsensical it is in the big picture.

A) he is a Swede
B) he is a defenseman

therefore he is coming.

please stop.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, Tyler Myers doesn't have NTC, he has a 10-team no-trade list. I highly doubt Texas would be on it since, yknow, he grew up there and all that. But that's Vancouver media for you, "I dunno if NTCs got in the way" is the kind of non-committal rhetoric that incenses people to moonwalk into the discussion and dab on something that doesn't even exist.

In what scenario was Tyler Myers going back to Texas? That was never any part of any scenario here.

As far as the NTC. It's a 10 Team NTC. It's literally a "Modified No-Trade Clause" in his contract. If the team they were going to deal him to is on it, it's as good as ironclad. I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that a team that actually has the cap space to absorb Myers stands a very good chance of being very bad right now, and thus a high probability of being among those 10 Teams.

You're acting like it's completely implausible that this could in fact have been the case. It may just be media stirring things up, or it may not. But it's not some unreasonable hairbrained notion that things may have aligned that way.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I don't doubt that Myers has been brought up in trade discussions with other teams, to what ever effect.

But if the end goal is a Swedish, offensive minded RHD, why not try for Karlsson at half retained (5.75 x 5 years). He is only 3 years older, and likely has a lower cap hit the I'd expect compared to Klingberg.

Or, you know, another route altogether.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
May I don’t get the nuances but on Cap Freindly it says Myers had to submit a 10 No Trade list to Vancouver July 1, 2022. So the team has the list and still tries to trade him to a team they no he will use his NTC.
This whole story makes no logical sense. Is this from that Eklund guy?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It's T4P. It's not even a legit source. They have nothing.

Klingberg to VAN doesn't make sense. He's terrible defensively. And he wouldn't have a spot on PP1 on account of Hughes - that eliminates most of his value to a team.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I don't doubt that Myers has been brought up in trade discussions with other teams, to what ever effect.

But if the end goal is a Swedish, offensive minded RHD, why not try for Karlsson at half retained (5.75 x 5 years). He is only 3 years older, and likely has a lower cap hit the I'd expect compared to Klingberg.

Or, you know, another route altogether.
I have thought that too but would the Sharks retain 50% on E. Karlsson? Would make for an great PP unit and he could play with OEL.

Just like the Klingberg talk, I thought I read somewhere that OEL and Klingberg are friends or have played together for team Sweden in the past so they would maybe be paired together if Canucks traded Myers and SIgned Klingberg.

I would rather get Karlsson at a big discount than give Klingberg a long term deal at 6m or more

May I don’t get the nuances but on Cap Freindly it says Myers had to submit a 10 No Trade list to Vancouver July 1, 2022. So the team has the list and still tries to trade him to a team they no he will use his NTC.
This whole story makes no logical sense. Is this from that Eklund guy?
To me it means Canucks got an offer from a team on his NTC that they liked so they asked him if he would waive and got denied(supposedly)

Myers is a moveable asset, he has 2 years left at 6m, so a team that may like Myers more than signing Klingberg to a long term deal and a higher cap hit

Reactions: Cogburn

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I have thought that too but would the Sharks retain 50% on E. Karlsson? Would make for an great PP unit and he could play with OEL.

Just like the Klingberg talk, I thought I read somewhere that OEL and Klingberg are friends or have played together for team Sweden in the past so they would maybe be paired together if Canucks traded Myers and SIgned Klingberg.

I would rather get Karlsson at a big discount than give Klingberg a long term deal at 6m or more

To me it means Canucks got an offer from a team on his NTC that they liked so they asked him if he would waive and got denied(supposedly)

Myers is a moveable asset, he has 2 years left at 6m, so a team that may like Myers more than signing Klingberg to a long term deal and a higher cap hit
Or have no chance at signing Klingberg and want to upgrade with Myers. With where we are at the next 2 seasons, Myers for assets + Klingberg at 6m is better than keeping Myers for 2 years and not signing Klingberg. OEL is solid in his own end and Klingberg would be there more to create more chances at 5v5 and power up our PP2. Klingberg is average defensively, but that is fine with OEL being above average defensively.

EDIT: I forgot how good Myers defensive stats were last season. Depending on the assets in a Myers deal, likely better to keep him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad