Speculation: "Paging Mr. Shero, your job is on the line"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunnar Staal

Mar 17, 2004
I’m usually a lurker on these boards, but considering this is what could be another year in a long string of now predictable post-season collapses, I’ve been thinking about something. I know the media and most fans are getting on Bylsma and calling for his termination (for correct and obvious reasons), but I don’t know why more people aren’t critical of Shero’s performance as of late; More specifically, the past year. I used to be a person who respected what Shero did: He put together teams that had grit and tenacity to compliment the high-end skill, he made smart moves that helped the short- and long-term future of the club and his moves helped to bring a cup to the city once again.

But over this past year my opinion of him has soured significantly. I now openly question most personnel moves and trades anymore as they aren’t done in the spirit of improving the team but to keep the team in a sort of “cocoon” where it can continue to coast on high-end talent, but not do enough to beat the cream of the crop. Look at these moves and tell me this is what a great GM does:

- Retains Dan Bylsma and entire coaching staff after being tactically spanked by Boston (EDIT: Except Gilles Meloche)
- Gives Fleury a vote of confidence after a spectacular postseason meltdown for the second year in a row
- Resigns Craig Adams to a two-year deal (why?)
- Signs Kris Letang to massive seven-year deal that will pay him $7 million per season starting next year (if he played at his best more consistently, I’d agree with this, but more often than not this year he’s looked like Marc-Andre Bergeron. Scary thought)
- Resigns Chris Kunitz and Pascal Dupuis to four-year deals worth $3.5-$4 million per year (IMO the problem wasn’t signing one or the other. The problem was signing both, especially since I knew Dupuis was going to get vastly overpaid in the free agent market)
- Signs Rob Scuderi to four-year deal as our biggest free agent move of the year in a year where the salary cap goes down (erm… why? Don’t get me wrong, I liked Scuderi, but four years for a defenseman in his mid-30’s when your draft philosophy has been to draft puck-moving defensemen?)
- Replaces Matt Cooke with Matt D’Agostini
- Replaces Tyler Kennedy with Chuck Kobasew (Kennedy was past his expiration date here, but his replacement is a washed-up player?)
- The minor leagues are stocked with forwards with minimal upside like Ebbett, Conner, and Kostopoulos
- The opening day roster still featured Tanner Glass (why?)

As a result, I’m not surprised that the team is ending up like this. Even during the months when they were doing well, I didn’t see a team that could win the cup. All I saw was a team that was coasting on high-end talent, not a team with any sort of structure, depth, or prowess. And that’s not counting the effects that the season and personnel decisions had on the team this year:

- Oversee a majority of your top prospects and puck-moving defensemen at the AHL and ECHL level decrease in trade value (which was the main reason why you drafted so many of them. Who increased in trade value besides Olli Maataa this season: Samuelsson? Harrington? Perhaps I don’t know trade values well enough, but keeping players stuck at the AHL level when they may be ready for the NHL doesn’t exactly increase trade value)
- Witness possible stagnated development of Simon Despres, Beau Bennett and Robert Bortuzzo (Bennett was more due to injuries, but he doesn’t seem to me like a guy who’s truly ready yet. Bortuzzo was more due to waivers, but being a frequent healthy scratch doesn’t help his development. Despres just got jobbed this year)
- The team’s most promising forward prospect in the minor leagues is Brian Gibbons (nothing against Gibbons, but really?)
- Team has the worst bottom-six depth and grit since 2005/06 (I think we all harken back to the days of Rico Fata, Shane Endicott and Lasse Pirjeta. Gag.)
- The short-term answer for our bottom-six woes is a washed-up Taylor Pyatt
- Craig Adams and Tanner Glass are glorified as elite, penalty-killing defensive forwards (hence they’re always out there when the Pens are trying to protect a lead or are shorthanded)
- The only full-time players on the roster that was developed under the Shero and Bylsma tenure are Maataa and Joe Vitale (Bort and Despres were frequently healthy scratches so they really don’t count)
- Shero’s attempted big splash at the trade deadline is trying to acquire Ryan Kesler (and how does that make sense, exactly? So you put him on the third line to replace Sutter and give him the likes of Glass, Ebbett and Conner in which he hopefully becomes Jordan Staal? Thank god this didn’t go through)
- When this doesn’t go through, he does what he should’ve done anyway and decides to acquire bottom six depth (Goc and Stempniak were good pickups. The price for Goc may have been a tad too high, IMO, but I’ll definitely take that over the price we would’ve paid for Kesler)

It’s almost as if Shero has remained stubbornly loyal to a team that won the Stanley Cup in 2009 instead of trying to adapt. He continues to trade away valuable long-term pieces like high draft picks for rentals in the hopes that they will win yet another cup, but all that is going to do is destroy the team’s long-term sustainability. Do you see Boston, Chicago or Los Angeles throw away their first and second round picks year after year to try and win another cup? Nope. They have superior depth, but they seem to be smarter about it, only acquiring pieces when the price is right. Chicago’s big “move” was trading for Kris Versteeg for bottom six depth. Los Angeles got Gaborik, but they didn’t trade a first round pick for him. Boston mostly got depth in the form of Meszaros.

I don’t think Shero is going to get fired this season, since he still has his panic button in play (firing Bylsma), but this offseason is going to be very telling as to which Shero the Pens are going to get moving forward: The Shero from 2006-2009 or the Shero that has remained overly loyal to a team that won the cup five years ago.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
Excellent post!

It really does seem like Shero is trying to recreate the 2009 team. Heck, he brought back Mark Eaton last year.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
your post is so effing long...I clearly have no life since i actually read it...but I do agree with your points.

Shero has driven this team to the ground WITH Bylsma. He provided him with horrible players.

DeadGator401

Feb 7, 2011
Good post man. I actually read it all.

Didn't Shero already Fire Therrien? I thought it was a rare thing for a GM to fire more then one coach.

Gunnar Staal

Mar 17, 2004
your post is so effing long...I clearly have no life since i actually read it...but I do agree with your points.

Shero has driven this team to the ground WITH Bylsma. He provided him with horrible players.

Yeah I got a bit carried away. :help:

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Good post man. I actually read it all.

Didn't Shero already Fire Therrien? I thought it was a rare thing for a GM to fire more then one coach.

Therrien was brought in when Craig Patrick was still the GM, so Therrien was never really Shero's guy to begin with.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Gunnar, you are absolutely correct. Shero shouldn't be given a free pass. He gave Dan Bylsma an extension on his contract last season. He didn't address any issues regarding toughness and goaltending during the off-season and trade deadline. The Rob Scuderi contract was inexcusable and not necessarily. His love for drafting puck moving defensemen and undersized forwards that attend the NCAA is pathetic. His scouting staff along with him are terrible at their job.

His best days are behind him. Shero needs to get the **** out ASAP.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't read posts that long. Sorry dude. I'm sure I agree with a lot of it though. I don't know if Shero needs to go, but he shouldn't be immune from serious criticism. I just don't know what legitimate GM candidates are out there.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I don't read posts that long. Sorry dude. I'm sure I agree with a lot of it though. I don't know if Shero needs to go, but he shouldn't be immune from serious criticism. I just don't know what legitimate GM candidates are out there.

George McPhee :biglaugh:

We want a big team? Let's poach Burkie :laugh:

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

Unlike our head coaching issue, I don't have as much of a problem bringing in a guy with little GM experience. Assistant GM's and great scouts are on the table for me. Somebody that wants to build around Crosby and Malkin is a necessity too.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens management needs a total overhaul of fresh eyes and ears. This nonsense has gone on for to long of player comfort is more important than players winning the SC. Shero and Bylsma are products of mario not holding anyone accountable for the lack of urgency and the complete misuse of Iginla last year. Play him at LW but make sure his wife gets flowers.

Riggs

Apr 6, 2004
Pittsburgh
Great post Gunnar!

I find myself looking more and more at Shero... If he goes then a lot of other things will change.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I'm not as sour on Shero as some of you. I feel he addresses the teams weaknesses based on the style of play the coach wants. I feel DB is the reason why things are what they are. Gladams is more on DB making them work, than Shero loving them. KCD line is more of a DB creation. Perish forbid that Bennett gets 40 games to play with Crosby/Malkin. The line shows success, so Shero resigns them.

I still give him credit for the Staal deal. Many GMs would get nothing out of it. These playoffs are showing that Sutter is a pretty damn good player when he gets surrounded by reasonable talent.

I also give him credit for the Goligoski deal. Not many would pull that off. Though I'm glad that worked out for both parties somewhat in the end.

Morrow/Murray/Iginla were all pieces we needed. Toughness up front. Toughness on the back end, and a scorer on the wing. Not to mention leadership. Remember this is after 60 odd games DB controlling a team the way he wants. I don't blame Shero that none of the young talented D he drafted gets to play with the big club. I think that is on DB. If they get to play and they fail, then yes, I blame Shero.

The only thing I would pin on Shero is that he didn't drop DB last year when he should have.

I think the issue here is the Captain should go down with the ship. The question...is DB the Captain or Shero?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
great post, for those who "can not read long posts" I suggest follow Gunnar on twitter, he is breath of fresh air in this pgh penguins media swamp.

Shero's biggest mistake was not firing Bylsma after embarassing unhinged performance in Philly's series and even more embarrasing post series exit interviews..

He stopped being a GM ever since he tied his success to Bylsma, (see Olympic collapse)
as a GM he is directly responsible for bad draft and not being able to bring two more wingers: (falling for Crosby's delusional insistence (supported by PGH media) that KCD is the best line in hockey

ilovealistair

Apr 14, 2014
I have a problem with that too (see above). I get Crosby likes to play with Duper and Kuni, but they're getting old. Beau doesn't work great with Crosby apparently but he does work well with Geno. Why can't we move Jussi up to Sid's line temporarily and trade Kuni + Something else to get a younger (under 23) winger for Sid? Duper has value on PK so he stays but he also is getting old, probably should retire soon. Can't we draft or get some good scouts? Stempniak is older to but he'd be fine as a replacement for Duper until a new winger can be brought in.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Totally agree with all of this. I was a Shero supporter for years. Then, last TDL, he paid high prices for garbage players (Morrow and Murray). I mean really, think about that. TWO 2nd's for Murray? This was massive overpayment both at the time and in retrospect. This is a guy who, after the year was out, could only get a 1 year deal for 1.5 million -- that's how little he is regarded by GMs around the league.

Shero's explanation -- "I don't set the prices around the league" -- was nauseating. Yeah, I don't set the price that Chipotle charges either Ray, but if they wanted fifty bucks for a burrito I'd leave the store.

Long story short, what I was BANKING on with Shero was that he had a great insight to all of these PMD's, and that, over time, he was going to raise their value appropriately and sell them off a-la Whitney and Gogo. Even without getting INSANE return-on-investment for them, I figured he'd be able to flip a young legit top-4d prospect for a young legit top-6 wing prospect without much difficulty. But yeah, it's become apparent that that was never really the plan, and that he has 0 talent for asset management. There's NO excuse for not playing Despres in the big show this season -- we need to know what we have in him, trial by fire sort of thing, and we're not figuring that out in the AHL. Same with Borts, even. I mean hell, look at Lovejoy's statline out in Anaheim. What more can you say about Ray? Just ugh, man. Ugh. I thought you had a vision, but you were just an empty suit the whole time.

The more damning fact is that he actually WANTED Eaton, Morrow and Murray. They all displaced better players from the roster (BB, Despres, Bortz, TK). The fault was not even knowing that these players were worse than the ones you already had. If you don't know that, how can you assign ANY value to them correctly in a trade?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Unfortunately I'm having a hard time disagreeing with much in the first post. And I would consider myself a Shero supporter. His last couple of season's worth of work have shown a pretty alarming pattern, though. And I've long been suspicious of his (and his scouts) ability in the draft. Not to mention he and his pro scouts ability to bring in the right kind of talent.

So, yeah... it's gonna be an interesting Summer.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I apologize for the mistake folks - merged the two wrong threads. If you are confused - please send me a PM. I tried to get them back the right way.

edit: Should be good to go!

Last edited:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I agree completely, the whole organization needs a reset at this point so we can clear out some of the mistakes that just can't be corrected by the people who made them.

We're too soft and too old in the wrong places. And have too many redundant contracts and players. And this offseason we're going to be losing talented younger players like Niskanen because of signings like Scuderi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad