News Article: Pageau begins preparations for playoff run with islanders

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I see Pelech-Pulock & Leddy-Boychuk as a pretty damned good top 4. they've got everything.

I would alternate the other 4 in and out depending on how they are playing, even give Boychuk a rest here and there, as we progress further and further.

Dobson is the only real weak link, because of his inexperience, but I can see him surprising, and doing pretty good. Greene is a smaller version of Boychuk, and is a very nice luxury to have.

IMO, Lou did a pretty decent job of setting us up for the PO's.

Reactions: MJF

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Dobson is the only real weak link, because of his inexperience, but I can see him surprising, and doing pretty good. Greene is a smaller version of Boychuk, and is a very nice luxury to have.

Between Greene, Toews and Mayfield I am guessing it will be hard for Dobson to even get 1 minute in. Question is who sits besides Dobson(My guess is not Mayfield since he would be our 3rd RHD)

Reactions: MJF and Kevin27NYI

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Boychuck has slowed down a bit but in no way should she sit. He's still a good defenseman and isn't a liability on the ice.
To be fair, there were some games this season where Boychuk looked tired and you could tell he wasn't able to keep up. Those are the situations where I wished we had a healthy Pelech or an Andy Greene to give JB a night off.

But I agree with what you said, when Boychuk is healthy he is not a liability on the ice and he should not sit.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Congrats Isles fans on your strong post-season start. As a Sens fan you had my support this post season.

So this Pageau guy isn't too shabby huh? This guy is built for the playoffs, as I have maintained in my interactions with some members here in the past. He really only lacks in the playmaking department, otherwise he would cost more than his $5M/y contract.

Btw, he's known as Pager in Sens dressing room, by Sens fans and local media in Ottawa. Or JGP. Not JPG or Pags lol.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Congrats Isles fan on your strong post-season start. As a Sens fan you had my support this post season.

So this Pageau guy isn't too shabby huh? This guy is built for the playoffs, as I have maintained in my interactions with some members here in the past. He really only lacks in the playmaking department, otherwise he would cost more than his $5M/y contract.

Btw, he's known as Pager in Sens dressing room, by Sens fans and local media in Ottawa. Or JGP. Not JPG or Pags lol.
I remember you said that, spot on analysis there. Pager fits this team like a glove. From day 1 he has been all in.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I remember you said that, spot on analysis there. Pager fits this team like a glove. From day 1 he has been all in.

As a Sens fan, I was so happy for Pageau when I found out he was going to the Islanders, because I knew he would be a perfect fit, and would absolutely thrive under Trotz and the Islanders. Unlike the Karlsson trade to San Jose, where I knew he would not fit in as well.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I raised my eyebrow a bit for what we gave up for Pageau...but I love the taste of this crow right now. So glad he's on the team!

Reactions: buud

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
nice, lol.

you know, i would not mind seeing him play RW with Nelson and Beau. i bet they would be dynamite together. Bailey can be 3C...

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
All you Sens fans are more than welcome to jump on our little bandwagon if you’d like!

It may not be big, it may have square wheels and it may catch on fire sometimes, but it’s a fun ride!
While I'm sure they love Pageau, I think most are rooting against us for a higher pick :)

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
nice, lol.

you know, i would not mind seeing him play RW with Nelson and Beau. i bet they would be dynamite together. Bailey can be 3C...

You are losing value there. Pageau is an elite 3C, he has successfully acted as a shutdown centre against the likes of Crosby in the past, so there is untapped value there you will require to go deep into the playoffs.

Pageau's versatile enough to play lines 1 to 4. He is very effective with playmaking wingers when he is playing in top-6, expect him to be a finisher in those cases.

According to Craig Anderson, Pageau has sneaky good shots in his arsenal that he would use in practice. But primarily, you want Pageau to be that 2-way C that will shut it down or pump it up as the game dictates.

Reactions: impaaaaaact and TMI

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
You are losing value there. Pageau is an elite 3C, he has successfully acted as a shutdown centre against the likes of Crosby in the past, so there is untapped value there you will require to go deep into the playoffs.

Pageau's versatile enough to play lines 1 to 4. He is very effective with playmaking wingers when he is playing in top-6, expect him to be a finisher in those cases.

According to Craig Anderson, Pageau has sneaky good shots in his arsenal that he would use in practice. But primarily, you want Pageau to be that 2-way C that will shut it down or pump it up as the game dictates.
i think Pageau playing with the likes of Brassard, Knuckles, Komorov, Johnston, etc, is losing value.

he is sneaky good, all around, and IMO, is a better two way player than Eberle or Bailey. i certainly protect him, over those two, come expansion draft time.

maybe next year, we mix it up a bit. let Knuckles and Brassard go. replace with Bellows and Wahlstrom. if we can get him two decent wingers, sure keep him as 3C.

Lee-Barzal-Eberle
Beau-Nelson-Wahlstrom
Bellows-Pageau-Bailey
checking line

idk, but this year, he seems a waste on the 3rd line. even if he is getting PP and PK time.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Pageau is so good because he makes that 3rd line a legitimate scoring threat while still playing solid defense. We sorely missed this against the Canes last year.

Reactions: MJF

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Everyone knew the Isles needed a Center to fill out their line up. There was really only one available in a trade this year during the season. To actually go out and land Pager, well, when I first heard about the trade, I didn't believe it. He was on top of the trade board leading up to the TDL. So again, you got to give Lou credit, it was at a price, but as Trotz said, you don't know about the first rd pick, he knew Pager could play. You knew he wanted him. It's something you do not see often, when a GM goes out and gets his coach a weapon to use, and the Coach gets the performance out of the player this playoffs to make both look good. It's a win win.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I think when Trotz says Pageau ticks all the boxes, he hits it right on the head. He just does everything so well. Not great at anything, good at a lot of things. A leader too, even though he’s only played 13 games for the Isles. Have to admit, loved getting Pageau in the trade, hated what we gave up. Thought it was way too much, especially for a rental.

But boy have I changed my mind, especially with him signing the extension so quickly after the trade. And he’s been a perfect fit. Though I am a draft fanatic, I’m not gonna miss the 1st and 2nd round pick, I’m thrilled to have Pageau on the team. Hoping we have to give up that 3rd round pick as well ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad