Value of: Package values of Habs, Rangers and Kings

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
We get it, the Habs have prospects.

If the Rangers were willing to trade any of those players (sans Chytil), Eichel would already be on the Rangers. Kakko, Lafreniere, Fox, Miller, and Shesterkin are not getting traded.
Not all of them, but Lafreniere and Kravtsov make Kakko expendable for the right piece.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Not all of them, but Lafreniere and Kravtsov make Kakko expendable for the right piece.

Disagree.
We need Krav + KK to replace Buch and Strome.
We also have to have a fallback position if we can't get Zib only 5 yrs on a new deal [replacing this one, or 4 on top of extending this one] at acceptable $. If he wants top top $$$$ for term into mid 30s, then we need to sell him as a rental.

We are not keeping Buch.
Buch + is how that would have to work

but again, no Eich unless we have plan to deal Trouba where he waives.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
None of these teams would ever do something like this. GM's are going to wait until the Eichel situation grows much much worse. That supposed ask is the high margin, you start at that and it'll be whittled down. For the sake of the post I'd say

-MTL
-NYR
-LAK

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Elliott Friedman said rangers made an offer last year for eichel and neither kaapo kakko nor lafreniere were in the offer. He mentioned something like kravtsov, 2021 1st (not protected), nils Lundkvist, kandre miller + ryan strome.

I think including Byfield in a trade for Eichel makes sense, I just don't think you see Bufield, Kaliyev, Kupari, and Kempe. That's way too rich. Byfield or Turcotte as a highlight, plus an unprotected first round pick, and then some lesser picks or prospects would make sense.

But the more Byfield plays, the less I want to trade him. A one-two punch of Byfield-Turcotte reminds me an awful lot of our centers during the cup runs... Kopitar and Richards.

Reactions: Stumbling Jack

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
I think including Byfield in a trade for Eichel makes sense, I just don't think you see Bufield, Kaliyev, Kupari, and Kempe. That's way too rich. Byfield or Turcotte as a highlight, plus an unprotected first round pick, and then some lesser picks or prospects would make sense.

But the more Byfield plays, the less I want to trade him. A one-two punch of Byfield-Turcotte reminds me an awful lot of our centers during the cup runs... Kopitar and Richards.

Where will vilardi play? He's definitely not 3C material.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Where will vilardi play? He's definitely not 3C material.

He'll probably end up playing wing, or perhaps Turcotte will. It's kind of similar to the Carter/Richards scenario to be honest. Anderson-Dolan is playing his tail off as our 3C currently and management loves him, so I question where Kupari and Thomas play as well. Both likely shift to wing as well I guess.

Not to mention Kopitar isn't even that old. He still has a few good to great seasons in him.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
This is related indirectly to an Eichel trade but a bit different.

If Eichel or another very high level player was available and these three teams are offering, which team package has the highest value?

Based on the article I read elsewhere the Sabres are dreaming about 4 1st rounders in return.

Sooooo.....teams capable of this madness.....except the cheap Sens.

Kk, Romanov, Guhle and Caufield

Byfield, Kaliyev, Kupari and Kempe.

Lafreniere, Kakko, Miller and Chytil.

I want no part of this trade, but GMs are stupid and do stupid things, so these are huge payments for a guy with two goals.

In your opinion, which is the highest value as on offer?
All 3 teams easily decline. Buf to look elsewhere.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Since when is Eichel as good as McDavid? Because those are packages for someone who is a 1.4 career PPG and has 3x 100 point seasons, not someone who is at .94 and cracked 80 once.

I was thinking the same from the Kings point of view. If you add an early 2021 1st rounder (10th or so) to this, you're talking McDavid territory.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Lafreniere alone is arguably worth Eichel 1vs1, or close. His start this season probably hurts his value a bit - but its not far.

This is way overpayment for all 3 teams.

That's insane. Lafreniere's a winger, Eichel's a center so the worth is clearly in Eichel's favor alone. Never mind the proven ability to be a #1 center on a team, scored 24 goals in his rookie season, not .25 pts per game.

Lafreniere is a top-notch prospect but to say he's even remotely close to Eichel is just ridiculous.

On edit: Eichel is definitely worth a couple of first rounders. If Lafreniere was drafted today I doubt any team save for a team that consistently drafts in the 20's or 30's would give up two first for Lafreniere

I agree there's not one single good proposal in the OP. That being said, none of the players in the entire group project to be as good as Eichel, either when they were drafted or after their draft years.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
How are they overvaluing their prospect tho?

Guhle ha sbeen nothing but great with Team canada and in Laval

Caufield will win the Hobey Baker at age 20, which puts him in a category with Eichel, Maker, Gaudreau as only players who've won the trophy @ 20YO or less in the past decade...

Romanov has been nothing but great since coming over, and already playing like a top4 Dman.

I mean, what else do you want? Habs aren't going to trade these guys for nothign less than an overpayment, let alone trading them ALL for Eichel.
and you forgot Kotkaniemi who could legitimately become a 65-70 point, two-way C and is still 20 (still in top 10 youngest in league).. amazing how many hot takes this guy elicits from the same geniuses who ask for patience with hughes, kakko, lafreniere, etc

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
We get it, the Habs have prospects.

If the Rangers were willing to trade any of those players (sans Chytil), Eichel would already be on the Rangers. Kakko, Lafreniere, Fox, Miller, and Shesterkin are not getting traded.

But probably nah, though, because why on earth would you trade a franchise center for a winger who probably won't ever be as good and definitely won't ever be a center?

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
LA package is by far the worse.
Rangers and the Habs will never pay that much for Eichel

Last edited:

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Saber asked for 4 first rounders.

habs offer :
Caufield
Romanov
Poehling
2021 first rd

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
That's insane. Lafreniere's a winger, Eichel's a center so the worth is clearly in Eichel's favor alone. Never mind the proven ability to be a #1 center on a team, scored 24 goals in his rookie season, not .25 pts per game.

Lafreniere is a top-notch prospect but to say he's even remotely close to Eichel is just ridiculous.

On edit: Eichel is definitely worth a couple of first rounders. If Lafreniere was drafted today I doubt any team save for a team that consistently drafts in the 20's or 30's would give up two first for Lafreniere

I agree there's not one single good proposal in the OP. That being said, none of the players in the entire group project to be as good as Eichel, either when they were drafted or after their draft years.

"As good as Eichel"? He is at a .94 PPG pace for his career, cracking 80 points once. *Several* of the players in the OP project to that level.

Eichel is now in the 6th year of his career. Its time to start looking at the player he is, and not what he can be. He is no longer a prospect of unlimited potential who maybe will rival McDavid, which was the debate 5 years ago.

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
He'll probably end up playing wing, or perhaps Turcotte will. It's kind of similar to the Carter/Richards scenario to be honest. Anderson-Dolan is playing his tail off as our 3C currently and management loves him, so I question where Kupari and Thomas play as well. Both likely shift to wing as well I guess.

Not to mention Kopitar isn't even that old. He still has a few good to great seasons in him.

Kupari is not good defensively at all so I definitely see him playing on the wing. I haven't watched Thomas really so idk. Turcotte would be an absolute waste on the wing considering his 2 way play. Vilardi could move to the wing.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
But probably nah, though, because why on earth would you trade a franchise center for a winger who probably won't ever be as good and definitely won't ever be a center?
Why on earth would you trade a franchise center at all?

I don’t care what Buffalo wants, I know that those Rangers are unavailable, which is the point. I’m more/less ambivalent about all the Eichel stuff in general anyway. He’s a great player, but it’d just be such a Rangers thing to do.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
for Eichel ,,,, No

Yes they are

Kk
Struble
2021 1st
Tatar

Is the highest Habs should go, they flip Tatar for abother 1st, and that's it. 4x 1st rd pick value. What you are offering is wayyyy more than what Eichel is worth

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Since when is Eichel as good as McDavid? Because those are packages for someone who is a 1.4 career PPG and has 3x 100 point seasons, not someone who is at .94 and cracked 80 once.

I think you are completely out to lunch if you believe you could get a generational talent like McDavid (or anyone that is a young center and a lock for the kind of stats you are asking for) for unproven prospects as centerpieces without having to include a single "guaranteed hit" and only prospects that have yet to show they really belong in this league.

I actually think the NYR and LA offers are somewhat in the ballpark even though I think LA would push to exclude Byfield by swapping him for Turcotte and maybe to make up for it somehow include Vilardi as well...

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
"As good as Eichel"? He is at a .94 PPG pace for his career, cracking 80 points once. *Several* of the players in the OP project to that level.

That's adorable. As soon as those prospects are drafted and the second they play another season those projections will be re-evaluated and downgraded. It's the nature of the shiny new toy syndrome wearing off.

Eichel is now in the 6th year of his career. Its time to start looking at the player he is, and not what he can be. He is no longer a prospect of unlimited potential who maybe will rival McDavid, which was the debate 5 years ago.

And Lafreniere is? Has he shown anything that warrants some of the absurd "35-35-70 rookie year" comments from the press? It's time to start looking at Lafreniere as the player his, and not what can he be. He is no longer a prospect of unlimited potential who maybe will rival McDavid, Matthews or step into the NHL and be an effective NHL player. He is so far a failure who obviously would've been better served being in a league where he could contribute regularly, unlike Eichel, who contributed on a bad team immediately as an 18 year old.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Yes they are

Kk
Struble
2021 1st
Tatar

Is the highest Habs should go, they flip Tatar for abother 1st, and that's it. 4x 1st rd pick value. What you are offering is wayyyy more than what Eichel is worth
KK is not going anywhere too valuable ,
KK is worth caufield + ghule + tatar,,,, alone

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
From a Buffalo perspective I would think the Rangers package has the most value to them but unless they make moves for a quality 1C it won't fully benefit them. Also Laf really needs to be that star player he was promised to us fans to offset the loss of another star player like Eichel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad