Value of: Package values of Habs, Rangers and Kings

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Edit....I'm pretty high on Guhle, but he just injured his hand and that in itself is not a major issue, it can play havoc with their development. It will probably curse his shot for a while and cause him to hold back his aggressive play. Assuming he has a great desire and head for the game to overcome temporary setbacks, I see him as a sure fire top 4 and possibly top 2 if he gets his offensive game ramped up. Possibly better then Romanov. His skating and vision is too elite to keep him from anything less.

Not as high on Guhle, he was truly better than I thought during the latest WJC though and seems to be willing to improve the offensive side of his game. Is his ceiling top 2 ? Like most D draft picks, sure. What is the likelihood he becomes a top 2 ? Very slim.

If I look at past 1st round drafts searching for D currently in the league and being top 2 :
2009 : 12D picked, 2 top 2D (Hedman, Ellis), 2 top 4D
2010 : 7 D picked, 0 top 2D, 1 top 4
2011 : 11 D picked, 2 top 2D (Brodin, Hamilton), 2 top 4
2012 : 13 D picked, 2 top 2D (Lindholm, Rielly being generous), 3 top 4
2013 : 9D picked, 2 top 2D (Theodore, Jones), 4 top 4

As you see most top 2 are picked in the top positions (before 15), depending on years, you have between 15% and 60% chance of getting a top2-4 Dman out of a 1st draft pick (let s say 40% as an average), I believe there is a higher chance Guhle ends up in the top 4 area, which is already good. This is also why I mentioned if Romanov could become like Brodin this would be huge for MTL but it is nothing certain (and the likelihood of him becoming that good is actually still low despite initial good showings).

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
Literally all four pieces from LA are great pieces. Byfield and Kaliyev are self-explanatory, Kupari was leading the AHL in scoring before he got called up to LA, and Kempe is finally hitting his stride as a really good top six forward. That's four first rounders.

Lafreniere alone is arguably worth Eichel 1vs1, or close. His start this season probably hurts his value a bit - but its not far.

This is way overpayment for all 3 teams.

Elliott Friedman said rangers made an offer last year for eichel and neither kaapo kakko nor lafreniere were in the offer. He mentioned something like kravtsov, 2021 1st (not protected), nils Lundkvist, kandre miller + ryan strome.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Habs one is definitely the best one here imo. And no the habs aren't giving that much for Eichel, and it was rumored to be 1st round quality not necessarily just already drafted 1st rounders. If you disagree thats fine but my offer that I've mentioned before is suzuki, guhle, tatar, 21st, 22st. Thats another legit center coming back to go along with cozens and 3 more 1st round players/picks, anymore than that you move on

Reactions: Benstheman
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
This is related indirectly to an Eichel trade but a bit different.

If Eichel or another very high level player was available and these three teams are offering, which team package has the highest value?

Based on the article I read elsewhere the Sabres are dreaming about 4 1st rounders in return.

Sooooo.....teams capable of this madness.....except the cheap Sens.

Kk, Romanov, Guhle and Caufield

Byfield, Kaliyev, Kupari and Kempe.

Lafreniere, Kakko, Miller and Chytil.

I want no part of this trade, but GMs are stupid and do stupid things, so these are huge payments for a guy with two goals.

In your opinion, which is the highest value as on offer?
Before we even start this exercise, the Rangers would never offer that package.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It is plausible for BUF to get value of 4 1st rounders/equiv, perhaps a tad more.

It is not plausible that they are gonna dictate what currency that will be.
Quality vets in mid 20s w/4-5 yrs if not more peak value such as Buchnevich who is approaching prime, is type that would be used, along w/type such as Lindgren [elc->rfa] and pick or 2 plus other assets. I emphasize would b'c NY is likely not a buyer even in this scenario b'c we can't absorb Eichel or any other huge salary long term until we move Trouba's 8m per.

Sabes want to get Krav, Kakko, etc and develop and reap benes of elc->rfa.
Not gonna happen.
Ability to control cap, and not have it control the team, is >>> than Eichel.
NYR will keep all its bluest blue chips.
Sabes

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
I can’t understand the cost of possibly destroying a team’s prospect depth that can take years to acquire for an oft injured player who has never reached 100 pts or 40 goals. If the Sabres are actually asking for a king’s ransom, I think they’re going to have to lower their asking price. What’s the good to get an Eichel if there’s no talent to play with. Good luck to the Sabres, I just hope the Habs stay away from destroying their prospect depth and talent.

Reactions: White Death 24

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Here take your 4 first round picks.
Julien Gauthier, Brenden Smith, Brett Howden.
Pick 1 since I'm feeling generous - Chytil, Strome,

Not giving them Chytil, off the table.
And I like Gauthier
Strome can be a discounted add.

A real deal would look something like
Buch
Lindgren
Strome
2021 unprotected 1st
Georgiev

for
Eichel
Hutton

something like that

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Neither would the Kings.
And they shouldn't.

The Sabres aren't trading Eichel and getting a different Eichel back. But both the Rangers and the Kings can put together packages that may not have apparent sex appeal but does have intrinsic value to a team/organization that has plenty of holes to fill with or without Eichel.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I can’t understand the cost of possibly destroying a team’s prospect depth that can take years to acquire for an oft injured player who has never reached 100 pts or 40 goals. If the Sabres are actually asking for a king’s ransom, I think they’re going to have to lower their asking price. What’s the good to get an Eichel if there’s no talent to play with. Good luck to the Sabres, I just hope the Habs stay away from destroying their prospect depth and talent.

Agreed.

I'd be okay with them giving something like

KK
2021 1st rd pick
Norlinder / Harris / Struble / Brook / Fairbrother (No to Guhle or Romanov)
Roster player like Tatar who could return another 1st rd pick to BUF at the TDL

But wouldn't go more than that. That's the equivalent of 3 X 1st rd picks + a 2nd rd pick. More than enough.

Last edited:

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
overpayment doesn’t begin to describe what those offers are. All 3 are ridiculous. If a team want exactly what Buffalo is going through since 2015 or so, then this is a great start. No team can empty their young players/prospect pool for one single player - no matter how good that player is.

You end up with no depth, no one coming up the pipeline and most likely cap issues on top of that because you have to overpay in free agency to patch the multiple holes you created yourself.

Reactions: bernmeister

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
All I'm'a say is this:

Trying to reply to any Eichel thread is spellchecker on my phone HELL!!!

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I really want someone to record Adams making those demands to the other GMs, just so we can all have something to laugh at.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
lol how habs fans overrate their prospects

How are they overvaluing their prospect tho?

Guhle ha sbeen nothing but great with Team canada and in Laval

Caufield will win the Hobey Baker at age 20, which puts him in a category with Eichel, Maker, Gaudreau as only players who've won the trophy @ 20YO or less in the past decade...

Romanov has been nothing but great since coming over, and already playing like a top4 Dman.

I mean, what else do you want? Habs aren't going to trade these guys for nothign less than an overpayment, let alone trading them ALL for Eichel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad