Value of: Package values of Habs, Rangers and Kings

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is related indirectly to an Eichel trade but a bit different.

If Eichel or another very high level player was available and these three teams are offering, which team package has the highest value?

Based on the article I read elsewhere the Sabres are dreaming about 4 1st rounders in return.

Sooooo.....teams capable of this madness.....except the cheap Sens.

Kk, Romanov, Guhle and Caufield

Byfield, Kaliyev, Kupari and Kempe.

Lafreniere, Kakko, Miller and Chytil.

I want no part of this trade, but GMs are stupid and do stupid things, so these are huge payments for a guy with two goals.

In your opinion, which is the highest value as on offer?

Last edited:

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil

If Eichel or another very high level player was available and these three teams are offering, which team package has the highest value?

I want no part of this trade, but GMs are stupid and do stupid things, so these are huge payments for a guy with two goals.

NYR
Habs
Kings

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I feel like the Montreal one is decidedly the worst. Kings vs Rangers comes down to if you primarily want W or C.

From the Kings I'd do that for Eichel if Kempe is taken out

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I read elsewhere that the Sabres want four 1st rounders for Eichel. Not going to happen. But then, I went through who has the young assets to even try that and it came down to four teams and one stingy owner. So the Sens are out.

Thus the "best package" but, this level of an offer is way up there and Sabres need to add Risto to come closer.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We get it, the Habs have prospects.

If the Rangers were willing to trade any of those players (sans Chytil), Eichel would already be on the Rangers. Kakko, Lafreniere, Fox, Miller, and Shesterkin are not getting traded.
Actually, Rangers have more.

Also at the rate we develop them, they get old before they get useful. We are trying to retool on the fly, which means that the youngsters barely have a chance unless they are NHL ready to go.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017

Based on the article I read elsewhere the Sabres are dreaming about 4 1st rounders in return.

Sooooo.....teams capable of this madness.....except the cheap Sens.

The Players you have suggested are not available from Montreal.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Montreal doesn’t make that offer. I like Eichel but that destroys habs quality depth - especially D depth. Removing romanov and guhle is very, very risky

Reactions: bernmeister

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
At present only the Kings can do this trade as far the salary cap goes with what has been suggested. As good as Eichel may be at the salary cap plus the loss of the players put on the table I could a non playoff team for years as a result.

Reactions: go4hockey

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Wtf is this. Mtl is never gonna offer that for eichel.

LA is by far the worst. Their only great piece is Byfield and that's it.

Literally all four pieces from LA are great pieces. Byfield and Kaliyev are self-explanatory, Kupari was leading the AHL in scoring before he got called up to LA, and Kempe is finally hitting his stride as a really good top six forward. That's four first rounders.

Reactions: Stumbling Jack

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

Byfield, Kaliyev, Kupari and Kempe

Lafreniere, Kakko, Miller and Chytil

Pretty much impossible to compare those packages given the inherent uncertainty of prospects. Lafreniere is having a first meh season but he is the most highly regarded prospect of the lot. Kakko, Kotkaniemi are young finnish players who have been brought too early to the NHL, but who will likely end up non elite top 6 players. Kupari is a big question mark but is in no way in the same category as the other prospects. The two prospects with the most convincing development since being drafted are Caufield but he never played against pros and Miller in NYR. Kempe is 24 and most likely is a middle 6 forward, while Romanov shows signs of promise and maybe he could end up being Brodin like (limited offensive production but great defensive IQ) which would be huge for MTL, but it is too soon to be sure. Guhle and Kaliyev are in my mind somewhere between Kupari and Caufield but also question marks.

Due to draft positions, NYR package has the highest value. Given NHL experience, MTL and NYR are close. I believe the LA package is the weakest one but depends if Byfield ends up being a superstar and franchise player.

Reactions: HabsAddict

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Byfield, Kaliyev, Kupari and Kempe

Lafreniere, Kakko, Miller and Chytil

Pretty much impossible to compare those packages given the inherent uncertainty of prospects. Lafreniere is having a first meh season but he is the most highly regarded prospect of the lot. Kakko, Kotkaniemi are young finnish players who have been brought too early to the NHL, but who will likely end up non elite top 6 players. Kupari is a big question mark but is in no way in the same category as the other prospects. The two prospects with the most convincing development since being drafted are Caufield but he never played against pros and Miller in NYR. Kempe is 24 and most likely is a middle 6 forward, while Romanov shows signs of promise and maybe he could end up being Brodin like (limited offensive production but great defensive IQ) which would be huge for MTL, but it is too soon to be sure. Guhle and Kaliyev are in my mind somewhere between Kupari and Caufield but also question marks.

Due to draft positions, NYR package has the highest value. Given NHL experience, MTL and NYR are close. I believe the LA package is the weakest one but depends if Byfield ends up being a superstar and franchise player.

Great post. That's what I was hoping to get from this thread.

I doubt anyone is stupid enough to give the Sabres 4 1st level draft choices. Maybe two prime and two questionable, but 4 highly likely NHL prospects, particularly top 6 and top 4, that's crippling the farm and future cost certainty big time.

Edit....I'm pretty high on Guhle, but he just injured his hand and that in itself is not a major issue, it can play havoc with their development. It will probably curse his shot for a while and cause him to hold back his aggressive play. Assuming he has a great desire and head for the game to overcome temporary setbacks, I see him as a sure fire top 4 and possibly top 2 if he gets his offensive game ramped up. Possibly better then Romanov. His skating and vision is too elite to keep him from anything less.

Last edited:

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Great post. That's what I was hoping to get from this thread.

I doubt anyone is stupid enough to give the Sabres 4 1st level draft choices. Maybe two prime and two questionable, but 4 highly likely NHL prospects, particularly top 6 and top 4, that's crippling the farm and future cost certainty big time.

The issue is that many fans seem to think that one great player is enough to win a cup. But one great player with a lot of mediocre ones is a receipe for disaster (see BUF). BUF got fleeced in the O Reilly trade, not sure they will repeat the same mistake though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad