Injury Report: Pacioretty ruptures his Achilles again - placed on season ending IR

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I wonder if he takes a 1y deal next season with us

i would be on it. he likely isnt ready between October and January. 1 year 1 million deal with about 3 million in bonuses should do just fine.
Yes. As the bonus option for 1 year contract is now there, that's a sensible kind of contract.

He will be UFA, though, so we can get outbid.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
He flew to Finland for the surgery? Seems....odd.

Groin surgery? I would hope nothing was lost in surgery, myself.

Athletes and agents have a better/global database re: the surgeons that either perform a "better" surgery or are more skilled in the operation. Patches tried the local/Raleigh Ortho route and clearly got dismal results so I'm sure right from the gitgo he was open to another pathway.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I have a feeling he doesn't even bother testing the market and signs a 1 year deal here for cheap to build his value back up following the injuries.
Honestly he probably doesn't even get a contract until he's healed up. I think he more likely does a JWilly 2.0, he'll be someone's early playoff UFA...that is assuming he doesn't retire at the end of the year and risk a 3rd reinjury which could be devastating to even his daily quality of life

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I have a feeling he doesn't even bother testing the market and signs a 1 year deal here for cheap to build his value back up following the injuries.
I could honestly see him doing something like a 1 year $1.5m contract here just to prove he can make it through a season. I highly doubt he's going to get any high dollar contract or anything with any kind of term beyond a season.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Honestly he probably doesn't even get a contract until he's healed up. I think he more likely does a JWilly 2.0, he'll be someone's early playoff UFA...that is assuming he doesn't retire at the end of the year and risk a 3rd reinjury which could be devastating to even his daily quality of life
This crossed my mind too but I think he'll rehab with the team and if he's ready participate in some of the training camp stuff (very limited and slowly being brought back up to speed, but still within the team structure).

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
"The first NHL player straight out of the rink", is how Lempainen put it. They have been consulted before from NHL and NBA, and one Chicago Blackhawk would have come for surgery but Hawks required the operation be made in US in a hospital of their choice.

Lempainen seems to think Pacioretty's opinion weighted a lot, and ditto that of the Finns in the organization.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Now we move into the next phrase of questioning. Was this surgery was done to further his career (probable) or just to maintain a good quality of life?

He will probably be in Finland a bit longer before flying home (post surgery safety before flying) and hopefully someone will reach out to him to provide color on what his next steps are.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
A couple of interesting comments from the Dr.

"LEMPAINEN says that rehabilitation is monitored in stages. I told him that at least 8-9 months is the time for him to be fit to play. It's a different thing to play baseball after six months than to be in an NHL bowl.

Lempainen emphasizes that Pacioretty's case was different now. It was a recurrence of the same injury and the first surgery may not have been successful enough."

Much longer timeline than the first injury. Because that's what it should take? Or because the recurrence made it worse? or both?

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016

"LEMPAINEN says that rehabilitation is monitored in stages. I told him that at least 8-9 months is the time for him to be fit to play. It's a different thing to play baseball after six months than to be in an NHL bowl.

Lempainen emphasizes that Pacioretty's case was different now. It was a recurrence of the same injury and the first surgery may not have been successful enough."

Much longer timeline than the first injury. Because that's what it should take? Or because the recurrence made it worse? or both?
Lets say it takes him 10-11 months to be 100% I think he signs a show-me deal with the Canes and he'll be ready for early-mid November start. I really like the guy and player. I hope he comes back.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

I'd assume both + the caution of having it happen a 3rd time in a short time span giving a longer recovery time

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Could be that the operation was performed somehow differently? The incisions could have been made from a different spot than the last time, necessitating more healing time?

I would assume that the expertise that brings the top athletes to Orava's gang time and again is very much about what is the best way to perform the operation.

Besides, choices are probably made on whether the recovery will be four months or up to eight months, with the team having a lot to say about it. At the first time, at least. Maybe the player get a little bit more say on the second time. And subject obviously to the player's contract situation.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Could be that the operation was performed somehow differently? The incisions could have been made from a different spot than the last time, necessitating more healing time?

I would assume that the expertise that brings the top athletes to Orava's gang time and again is very much about what is the best way to perform the operation.

Besides, choices are probably made on whether the recovery will be four months or up to eight months, with the team having a lot to say about it. At the first time, at least. Maybe the player get a little bit more say on the second time. And subject obviously to the player's contract situation.
This would be my guess. I think the interview Patches did he stated they went with the less invasive surgery the first time so the recovery time would be shorter. So likely this one would be the more traditional surgery with the longer recovery time plus the second surgery in such a short time probably adds to it.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I agree with others on the $1.5M number. I can't imagine teams dedicating much more of their cap space to a lottery ticket situation. Also if we do sign him I'd bet we'll be dealing with LTIR money all season like this one. Good news is we probably won't have like $10M of LTIR money all season.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
This would be my guess. I think the interview Patches did he stated they went with the less invasive surgery the first time so the recovery time would be shorter. So likely this one would be the more traditional surgery with the longer recovery time plus the second surgery in such a short time probably adds to it.
Lol, the assumption actually got confirmed in another article: "the long recovery is due to renewed rupture and the different operating technique".

The groin had troubled Patches "for a longer time".

Lempainen expects Patches can return to the top level if the motivation is there for the rehibilitation. They made a deal that Lempainen will be on the rinkside in his first game.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Well, he would have done it last summer too but management and owner wanted him operated in NA. There are athletes from all over the world flying to this surgent for operations. FC Barcelona, Juventus, SA teams etc. want him to operate their players. He has a record for succeeding in operations that has been done poorly prior. It`s actually quite odd that not a single NHLer has flewn here before as much bigger sports have their stars making tens of millions/yr do it.
His teacher was Sakari Orava - world known sports-surgeon who operated Messi, Beckham, Deschamps, Guardiola etc. He even operated Serbias president.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Well, he would have done it last summer too but management and owner wanted him operated in NA. There are athletes from all over the world flying to this surgent for operations. FC Barcelona, Juventus, SA teams etc. want him to operate their players. He has a record for succeeding in operations that has been done poorly prior. It`s actually quite odd that not a single NHLer has flewn here before as much bigger sports have their stars making tens of millions/yr do it.
His teacher was Sakari Orava - world known sports-surgeon who operated Messi, Beckham, Deschamps, Guardiola etc. He even operated Serbias president.
To be fair, what we see as big money, FIFA, EPL, BL, LL, etc see as chump change. A player like Messi is worth a LOT more than even the most S tier NHL'er in terms of revenue.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
To be fair, what we see as big money, FIFA, EPL, BL, LL, etc see as chump change. A player like Messi is worth a LOT more than even the most S tier NHL'er in terms of revenue.
That`s why its quite odd that players with their career on the line dont demand the best surgeon`s they can get. Pacioretty was threated by the same team and same hospital as Messi etc. by Messi`s surgeons former apprentice, who is probably the best sports-surgeon in the world in achilles- or groin-issues. Lempäinen also stated that after an operation like this the recovery time should be atleast 8-9 months, so seem like the NA-doctors let Pacioretty start skating/playing a bit early?

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
That`s why its quite odd that players with their career on the line dont demand the best surgeon`s they can get. Pacioretty was threated by the same team and same hospital as Messi etc. by Messi`s surgeons former apprentice, who is probably the best sports-surgeon in the world in achilles- or groin-issues. Lempäinen also stated that after an operation like this the recovery time should be atleast 8-9 months, so seem like the NA-doctors let Pacioretty start skating/playing a bit early?

He's referring to the current re-tear. Lempo posted this quote above:
"the long recovery is due to renewed rupture and the different operating technique".

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
He's referring to the current re-tear. Lempo posted this quote above:
"the long recovery is due to renewed rupture and the different operating technique".
Yep, his previous recovery was actually on the longer end of average for an achilles. Talk of him rushing back is just silly. With the re-tear, they're gonna go way above and beyond.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad