Injury Report: Pacioretty ruptures his Achilles again - placed on season ending IR

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, I get all that, fine.

I never said we needed a "savior"- I have my complaints about the way this team is structured and plays because I think it doesn't translate well in the playoffs (and apparently many others feel the same way).

My issue is when these concerns would surface- certain individuals would be all like "oh, don't worry about it- when Patches is back, it'll solve everything". And when I expressed a negative outlook as to the prospect of him successfully returning from such a grevious injury, I was insulted and told that an achilles tendon severing was basically NBD in hockey.

Soooooo....Just thought I'd revisit that a bit- and of course, I'm insulted again as that seems to be the coin of the realm on this board when people go against the Pollyannish outlook of the Cult of The Borg.

No I just think it’s dumb as hell to call it a major miss on the part of a front office’s offseason when a guy blows out his Achilles weeks after trading for him. It’s a tough break, it’s not a bad move. He showed in his couple of games with us that he is indeed the type of player the team needed. Way better than Nino. Spiking the football to say “see what a bad offseason” when the guy who was a major piece of the plan gets a significant injury is just kinda dumb.

I’ll extend an olive branch - take whoever you would’ve gotten this offseason instead of Pacioretty, then have them blow out their Achilles weeks after acquiring him. In that hypothetical, you’re just as smart as the Borg because you’re getting the same results. Congrats.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
No I just think it’s dumb as hell to call it a major miss on the part of a front office’s offseason when a guy blows out his Achilles weeks after trading for him. It’s a tough break, it’s not a bad move. He showed in his couple of games with us that he is indeed the type of player the team needed. Way better than Nino. Spiking the football to say “see what a bad offseason” when the guy who was a major piece of the plan gets a significant injury is just kinda dumb.

I’ll extend an olive branch - take whoever you would’ve gotten this offseason instead of Pacioretty, then have them blow out their Achilles weeks after acquiring him. In that hypothetical, you’re just as smart as the Borg because you’re getting the same results. Congrats.

Alright- olive branch accepted- I'll assume you aren't deliberately misinterpreting what my underlying argument is. Them taking a flyer on Patches for essentially nothing was great! I'd have preferred if they had acquired him several years ago, but given that would have taken actual assets...

I am saying that after his initial injury- we should have written him off mentally here from our season instead of insisting that he'd be back and as impactful and healthy as ever. That's all. I think the team should have LTIR him from the get-go and found someone else but I guess they can just go do that now anyway. I didn't appreciate getting my balls busted for saying I doubted he'd be able to recover from that kind of injury at his age.

Then again- I'm the guy who was upbraided for having the utter audacity to say that the TDL trade for Hakkenpau the other year was lousy. Pepperidge Farm always remembers...

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I didn't appreciate getting my balls busted for saying I doubted he'd be able to recover from that kind of injury at his age.

I went back through all the pages of this thread. Here's your quote and every response to it.

You guys realize this is a severed achilles tendon in a guy in his mid 30's, right? Who has a history of injuries? As a guy who who has been busted up from here to Sunday and has a whole lot of friends the same- he may not come back from this. It's a BFD. Yeah- Raleigh Ortho is great and all, but...

Just put some duct tape on him and make sure he can play in the playoffs. That's all we need.

Wrist bone now connected to the heel bone? Thanks for enlightening us on worst case and unlikely scenario here.

He doesnt need the burst from his feet like he would in another sport. its very conceivable that he returns no worse for wear from this.

He'll still skate better than Koko.

That's it. That's what you consider "ball busting"?

Reactions: geehaad

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Alright- olive branch accepted- I'll assume you aren't deliberately misinterpreting what my underlying argument is. Them taking a flyer on Patches for essentially nothing was great! I'd have preferred if they had acquired him several years ago, but given that would have taken actual assets...

I am saying that after his initial injury- we should have written him off mentally here from our season instead of insisting that he'd be back and as impactful and healthy as ever. That's all. I think the team should have LTIR him from the get-go and found someone else but I guess they can just go do that now anyway. I didn't appreciate getting my balls busted for saying I doubted he'd be able to recover from that kind of injury at his age.

Then again- I'm the guy who was upbraided for having the utter audacity to say that the TDL trade for Hakkenpau the other year was lousy. Pepperidge Farm always remembers...

But isn’t this the “best of both worlds” scenario then?

First we got to see if you were right about whether he’d be healthy. He wasn’t.

Now we have $8.5m in cap space to play with. Which is what you’re saying you would’ve done to begin with.

So, end result the same, but at least we played the lottery ticket of whether he’d get better instead of shutting him down for the year when his initial diagnosis was to come back in Feb?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
But isn’t this the “best of both worlds” scenario then?

First we got to see if you were right about whether he’d be healthy. He wasn’t.

Now we have $8.5m in cap space to play with. Which is what you’re saying you would’ve done to begin with.

So, end result the same, but at least we played the lottery ticket of whether he’d get better instead of shutting him down for the year when his initial diagnosis was to come back in Feb?

Not only that, but more players might be available now vs. the start of the season. A bunch more teams now have clarity on:

1) Possibilities of playoffs
2) Direction they want to take (rebuild or not)
3) Status of contract negotiations with pending UFAs

It might be better to be looking now than it was at the start of the season

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Not only that, but more players might be available now vs. the start of the season. A bunch more teams now have clarity on:

1) Possibilities of playoffs
2) Direction they want to take (rebuild or not)
3) Status of contract negotiations with pending UFAs

It might be better to be looking now than it was at the start of the season

4) not everyone has offseason-level amounts of cap space. Meaning: less competition for big names?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
4) not everyone has offseason-level amounts of cap space. Meaning: less competition for big names?
That's possible, but I'm not sure. It was already August when Patches went down so my "guess" is a lot of teams already used up much of their offseason cap space by that point. I'm not sure what other teams started using LTIR after the season started, who banked cap space,etc.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
That's possible, but I'm not sure. It was already August when Patches went down so my "guess" is a lot of teams already used up much of their offseason cap space by that point. I'm not sure what other teams started using LTIR after the season started, who banked cap space,etc.

True plus I guess by the deadline you’re dealing with the whole prorated thing where teams that kept $2m in space all year end up being able to take on an $8m player (for example).

Scratch #4, just go with BBA’s 3 that’s enough good points.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
@Boom Boom Apathy he may be referring the GDT's during out 4 week rough patch where some folks were complaining about us scoring. A few of us were saying just wait for Patches. although i dont agree it was "oh he is going to save us" esque but he would definitely be a solution to the problem. The other solution being we cant be that bad at shooting all season. I can almost bet things were said in contrary to Patches being any good / healthy enough.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
@Boom Boom Apathy he may be referring the GDT's during out 4 week rough patch where some folks were complaining about us scoring. A few of us were saying just wait for Patches. although i dont agree it was "oh he is going to save us" esque but he would definitely be a solution to the problem. The other solution being we cant be that bad at shooting all season. I can almost bet things were said in contrary to Patches being any good / healthy enough.
Gotcha.

This is a message board where we all have opinions and we disagree with each other all the time. I don't take it as "ball busting". Heck, you and I have gone back and forth on KK for instance, but I don't take it personally. To each their own I guess.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Gotcha.

This is a message board where we all have opinions and we disagree with each other all the time. I don't take it as "ball busting". Heck, you and I have gone back and forth on KK for instance, but I don't take it personally. To each their own I guess.
i take it all personally. I have a nice list like Danny McGrath from Billy Madison.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I went back through all the pages of this thread. Here's your quote and every response to it.

That's it. That's what you consider "ball busting"?
I kinda felt like there was more than that. Maybe in some other threads it got discussed as well.

But that's just one example. I never call anybody an idiot for their opinions on here. Yet you can see that just a few pages back. A few other examples- not being a fan of signing Kotchekov for 4 years, not liking getting rid of TDA, or Nino and Trochek. None of which is really a wild opinion. There are several people on here who have very visceral reactions to negativity for some reason.

And so when my negativity turns out to be justified- you're going to get an "I told you so"

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I kinda felt like there was more than that. Maybe in some other threads it got discussed as well.

But that's just one example. I never call anybody an idiot for their opinions on here. Yet you can see that just a few pages back. A few other examples- not being a fan of signing Kotchekov for 4 years, not liking getting rid of TDA, or Nino and Trochek. None of which is really a wild opinion. There are several people on here who have very visceral reactions to negativity for some reason.

And so when my negativity turns out to be justified- you're going to get an "I told you so"
7CDB8E1D-C432-4322-A88F-457EAB83222A.jpeg

Moosee

Sep 21, 2022
He had surgery yesterday in Turku, Finland. Minimum 8-9 months until he could be ready to play. He is still in Finland recovering from the surgery, no info on when he will return back home.

The surgery was done by Lasse Lempainen, well known doctor in Finland who has done big surgeries for sport stars in past as well, for example Ousmane Dembélé was his patient last year.

Article in Finnish about the surgery; Jättipalkkainen NHL-tähti saapui kaikessa hiljaisuudessa Suomeen – teki kovan päätöksen lauantai-iltana

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
He had surgery yesterday in Turku, Finland. Minimum 8-9 months until he could be ready to play. He is still in Finland recovering from the surgery, no info on when he will return back home.

The surgery was done by Lasse Lempainen, well known doctor in Finland who has done big surgeries for sport stars in past as well, for example Ousmane Dembélé was his patient last year.

Article in Finnish about the surgery; Jättipalkkainen NHL-tähti saapui kaikessa hiljaisuudessa Suomeen – teki kovan päätöksen lauantai-iltana
i guess he messed up his groin during that other lower body injury that held him out a couple of games.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

Thanks for sharing.....translated well too.

Reactions: Tryamw

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

He flew to Finland for the surgery? Seems....odd.

Groin surgery was also mentioned. I hope nothing was lost in translation.
Groin surgery? I would hope nothing was lost in surgery, myself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad