PA Cancels Players-Only Meeting Scheduled from the 24th-26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
R0CKET said:
Not to mention the exquisite job he did of taking away $1.4 Billion of money they will never ever make up or see again.

If you think that is a good job can I be your financial advisor...please, please!

Proving once again the genius of P.T Barnum.
they knew in 1999 the owners were gonna hardball them and this season could possibly be lost -
bob - lads save your money

R0CKET

Jul 2, 2004
mr gib said:
personally i think the bob has the pa totally up to date via the phone and internet and they are very tight and well informed concerning strategy - he originally told them this would take 18 months to two years to solve - their gonna wait it out -

This must be a post season ending fiasco event cuz when he uncorked the "I was only kidding about no cap no how no way!" strategy it sure as hell looked like it was news to his benefactors.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
R0CKET said:
This must be a post season ending fiasco event cuz when he uncorked the "I was only kidding about no cap no how no way!" strategy it sure as hell looked like it was news to his benefactors.
i think you're right there - i guess knowing the owners were gonna wait for their home run - it was an olive branch to move things along - a mistake - maybe - miller says it was

R0CKET

Jul 2, 2004
mr gib said:
i can't disagree more - they are not stupid

Well again on this note I must disagree (I'm honestly not trying to be an idiot).

Hey if there is some real burning unfair issue that the players want to stand up and rally behind then one could chalk it up to principle. But that went flying out the window with the no cap pledge.

And so we move on to the reality of this business world. "You want my 2.25 Billion (18 months of players salaries) Bob then show us the business case for the ROI". When do we break even on this investment? (Crickets chirping)

This is where smart business people intervene and show the people how the cow eats the cabbage. There isn't ANY return for the "investment" and in the business world this jackass would be sent packing like so many other carpet baggers.

He is abosolutely clueless, there is no strategy except to cause the final collapse of the NHL and there-by inflict a suicidal gutting of the goose that lays the golden eggs.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
R0CKET said:
Well again on this note I must disagree (I'm honestly not trying to be an idiot).

Hey if there is some real burning unfair issue that the players want to stand up and rally behind then one could chalk it up to principle. But that went flying out the window with the no cap pledge.

And so we move on to the reality of this business world. "You want my 2.25 Billion (18 months of players salaries) Bob then show us the business case for the ROI". When do we break even on this investment? (Crickets chirping)

This is where smart business people intervene and show the people how the cow eats the cabbage. There isn't ANY return for the "investment" and in the business world this jackass would be sent packing like so many other carpet baggers.

He is abosolutely clueless, there is no strategy except to cause the final collapse of the NHL and there-by inflict a suicidal gutting of the goose that lays the golden eggs.
i know its seems really silly - mckenzie at tsn even went as far to say that bob would never agree to a salary cap or linkage and would step down if he had to - thats up at tsn.ca somewhere - apparently he has a job with miller if that happen's - bob's not gonna blink - and i guess the concession's they made were kinda half hearted hoping the league wouldn't take them

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The Messenger said:
Yet While Goodenow hangs by a thread .. Bettman gets rave reviews by BusinessWeek magazine who has named Gary Bettman one of the worst managers in the United States in 2004.
I think he was on the worst managers list for Forbes as well. Though they had a sidenote that if he gets his (the owners' way) with regards to the CBA he vaults right back to one of the bests.

SPARTAKUS*

The Messenger said:
Two or three guys interested only?? .. That doesn't sound like the union is busting and ready to overthrow its leader anytime soon .. :p:

I guess Goodenow figures the meeting would much more important later when they discuss the 2003 unsigned draft picks and soon to be RFA all being set free as June and July approaches .. The player don't want to ruin their UFA chances by leaks from a meeting .. After all Daly is getting and reading NHLPA internal memos.

Sometimes when something looks like a Duck and quacks like Duck , perhaps its only a Duck !!.
That doesn't chance the fact that the owners will not cave. And
soone or later the players will realize that Goodenow must go. He's way over his head. He has lost the battle but still he wants to keep on fighting a loosing battle.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
mr gib said:
i know its seems really silly - mckenzie at tsn even went as far to say that bob would never agree to a salary cap or linkage and would step down if he had to - thats up at tsn.ca somewhere - apparently he has a job with miller if that happen's - bob's not gonna blink - and i guess the concession's they made were kinda half hearted hoping the league wouldn't take them
That's exactly it .. All posturing at this point by Goodenow .. He has neither accepted a Hard Cap nor Linkage as his signature appears on no new CBA ..

All plays made explicitly to avoid an IMPASSE CBA by the NHL .. Goodenow has beaten Bettman before and he plans on doing it again, only the will power of the players stands in the way of success of Failure of that plan ..

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
OTTSENS said:
That doesn't chance the fact that the owners will not cave. And
soone or later the players will realize that Goodenow must go. He's way over his head. He has lost the battle but still he wants to keep on fighting a loosing battle.
i forget the agent who was on 1040 here in van - fyi - he said the union was tight as it ever was

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
The Messenger said:
That's exactly it .. All posturing at this point by Goodenow .. He has neither accepted a Hard Cap nor Linkage as his signature appears on no new CBA ..

All plays made explicitly to avoid an IMPASSE CBA by the NHL .. Goodenow has beaten Bettman before and he plans on doing it again, only the will power of the players stands in the way of success of Failure of that plan ..
hey kelowna - congrats - another memorial cup appearance

SPARTAKUS*

mr gib said:
i forget the agent who was on 1040 here in van - fyi - he said the union was tight as it ever was
Of course he's gonna say that. What do you expect him to say. " No the union is crumbling like a house of cards. We lost faith in Goodenow."

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
mr gib said:
hey kelowna - congrats - another memorial cup appearance
Yup finished off Brandon tonight ..

The Kelowna Rockets are going to their 3rd straight Memorial Cup appearance.

Not Bad at all ..

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
It is pretty clear that Goodenow hasn't been the best PA leader during this lockout and hasn't made the best moves and it's the reason most people on here blame him for everything that is wrong with the PA. But the thing is, the players have the absolute right to fire him at any time they wish. The players elect the exec. committee and eventually Goodenow is appointed BY the players to do what the players want him to do.

However, it's pretty clear he's probably on the hot seat so I see 2 reasons for cancelling this meeting:
1. The PA believes they are so close to getting a deal done that they don't want to wait until late May to have a vote or don't need to get everyone together to explain the new deal, they have all summer to do that.
Not likely, but it would be good news.
2. The PA believes they are so close to firing Goodenow that they don't want to wait until late May to have a meeting with him. Keeping the meeting planned gives Goodenow until then to negotiate and a whole meeting to look good and keep his job. The PA exec. committee might be thinking that a deal is possible without Goodenow and that if Goodenow doesn't make a deal in the next week or two than he is fired anyway, so why have him hold a meeting.
Being that both leaders are probably on the hot seat, and Goodenow has clearly lost on the two major issues, I definetly think the PA has to be thinking about firing him. Good news.

So either way, I think it's good new's they cancelled this. The NHL is definetly going to set some sort of 6/1 deadline, and by letting Goodenow hang around until the 26th doesn't give them much time to formulate a plan at the meeting or to change leaders at that point. I think the PA wants to make a deal in the next 2 weeks and if they don't, Goodenow is out.

ResidentAlien*

"In early April, when we set the May 24-26 meeting dates, we thought these dates would work well to allow both North American and European based players to get together," NHLPA president Trevor Linden of the Vancouver Canucks said in statement. "Since our late-February meeting with 156 players in Toronto, we decided there is not sufficient new information to justify another meeting at this time."

Those arent lindens words, this is spin..simple.
Get as pissed as you want, this thing will go 1 of 2 ways, the soooner you realize that the better.

Hurry up and wait

ResidentAlien*

mr gib said:
good line - ...knew it was gonna be a long lockout... ( the stories are sad just the same )
ya..im tired of it, as Im sure we all are..lot of people hurt by this.
Still gotta feel for the guy who works his ass off his whole life, misses all the partyin and growin up "normal stuff"..only to play one year in what must have been like a dream come true..feeling like he maybe has arrived..then ...boom goes the dynamite.

This has gone on way too long, the humor, like Elvis, has left the buillding

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
nyr7andcounting said:
It is pretty clear that Goodenow hasn't been the best PA leader during this lockout and hasn't made the best moves and it's the reason most people on here blame him for everything that is wrong with the PA. But the thing is, the players have the absolute right to fire him at any time they wish. The players elect the exec. committee and eventually Goodenow is appointed BY the players to do what the players want him to do.

However, it's pretty clear he's probably on the hot seat so I see 2 reasons for cancelling this meeting:
1. The PA believes they are so close to getting a deal done that they don't want to wait until late May to have a vote or don't need to get everyone together to explain the new deal, they have all summer to do that.
Not likely, but it would be good news.
2. The PA believes they are so close to firing Goodenow that they don't want to wait until late May to have a meeting with him. Keeping the meeting planned gives Goodenow until then to negotiate and a whole meeting to look good and keep his job. The PA exec. committee might be thinking that a deal is possible without Goodenow and that if Goodenow doesn't make a deal in the next week or two than he is fired anyway, so why have him hold a meeting.
Being that both leaders are probably on the hot seat, and Goodenow has clearly lost on the two major issues, I definetly think the PA has to be thinking about firing him. Good news.

So either way, I think it's good new's they cancelled this. The NHL is definetly going to set some sort of 6/1 deadline, and by letting Goodenow hang around until the 26th doesn't give them much time to formulate a plan at the meeting or to change leaders at that point. I think the PA wants to make a deal in the next 2 weeks and if they don't, Goodenow is out.
Wow I think you are wrong on all accounts here ..

On #1 if you are a player are you going to vote on a new CBA and then ask questions and have people explain it ?? That logic seems completely backwards .

On #2 Goodenow is the one that calls the meetings and explains the CBA issues to the players .. The biggest flaw with your plan is that firing Goodenow now would set the talks back ( if thats even possible) for months .. A new guy needs to be hired and he may have a whole different approach and needs time to review Levitt and everything else involved .. If you want a deal by June 1 you don't fire your leader 2 weeks before the deadline.

I think you missed the boat big time ,, Goodenow works for the players .. If at any time the Council Linden, Gartner, Damphousse etc thought a deal was on the table that the players would like to take to vote they have all the power to tell Bob that this should go to a vote .. If that is what the players want Bob would not stand in the way ,, He might not like the offer or recommend it to the players but would/could not stop it .. On principle as Bob MacKenzie said he may fall on his sword on and resign and step Down ..

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
nyr7andcounting said:
It is pretty clear that Goodenow hasn't been the best PA leader during this lockout and hasn't made the best moves and it's the reason most people on here blame him for everything that is wrong with the PA. But the thing is, the players have the absolute right to fire him at any time they wish.

Very well said, nyr7. I just don't see any evidence for the NHLPA being unhappy with Goodenow. The players have been remarkably quiet over the last 3-4 months.

It's like everybody is watching a hijacking and no one is speaking out about it.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
The Messenger said:
Wow I think you are wrong on all accounts here ..

On #1 if you are a player are you going to vote on a new CBA and then ask questions and have people explain it ?? That logic seems completely backwards .

On #2 Goodenow is the one that calls the meetings and explains the CBA issues to the players .. The biggest flaw with your plan is that firing Goodenow now would set the talks back ( if thats even possible) for months .. A new guy needs to be hired and he may have a whole different approach and needs time to review Levitt and everything else involved .. If you want a deal by June 1 you don't fire your leader 2 weeks before the deadline.

I think you missed the boat big time ,, Goodenow works for the players .. If at any time the Council Linden, Gartner, Damphousse etc thought a deal was on the table that the players would like to take to vote they have all the power to tell Bob that this should go to a vote .. If that is what the players want Bob would not stand in the way ,, He might not like the offer or recommend it to the players but would/could not stop it .. On principle as Bob MacKenzie said he may fall on his sword on and resign and step Down ..
you're right - firing bob - thats a good one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad