PA Cancels Players-Only Meeting Scheduled from the 24th-26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
I feel like that could be a very good thing...but at the same time it could just be the truth that there is nothign to talk about...in that case it would not be good.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I think it was going to be used by Bettman for a power move.. to make an offer that the PA would talk about and might break the Union in a meeting if it got brought to the floor...

By canning the meeting.. Bettman does not have that option any more..

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
nyrmessier011 said:
I feel like that could be a very good thing...but at the same time it could just be the truth that there is nothign to talk about...in that case it would not be good.
How could it mean anything but the two sides are not close at all ??

If a deal was getting close a meeting would be needed to explain the new CBA and then have a players vote .. NO meeting means that the NHL has not changed it position much from the last meeting and when the season was cancelled and it would be a huge waste of time and money to fly players in from all over the world to tell them nothing to report ..

Drury_Sakic said:
By canning the meeting.. Bettman does not have that option any more..
Seems Goodenow is doing a great job of taking away NHL bargaining options ..

I guess you have to do what ever it takes to get a negotiating partner ..

mooseOAK*

They probably couldn't find enough players interested enough to attend a meeting. Apathy seems to abound judging by only two or three guys out of 700 even saying anything and probably doesn't work in the PA's favour.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
mooseOAK said:
They probably couldn't find enough players interested enough to attend a meeting. Apathy seems to abound judging by only two or three guys out of 700 even saying anything and probably doesn't work in the PA's favour.
Two or three guys interested only?? .. That doesn't sound like the union is busting and ready to overthrow its leader anytime soon .. :p:

I guess Goodenow figures the meeting would much more important later when they discuss the 2003 unsigned draft picks and soon to be RFA all being set free as June and July approaches .. The player don't want to ruin their UFA chances by leaks from a meeting .. After all Daly is getting and reading NHLPA internal memos.

Bruwinz37 said:
Seriously, the only thing I cant take from this at this point is that there simply is nothing to discuss.
Sometimes when something looks like a Duck and quacks like Duck , perhaps its only a Duck !!.

Last edited:

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Maybe the players have even forgotten there is no hockey...

I kid, I kid.

Seriously, the only thing I cant take from this at this point is that there simply is nothing to discuss.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Drury_Sakic said:
I think it was going to be used by Bettman for a power move.. to make an offer that the PA would talk about and might break the Union in a meeting if it got brought to the floor...

"Why, if the players actually got together, we might actually all agree on a CBA!"

No, couldn't possibly have that, could we?

Remind me again what the purpose of Bob is? :banghead:

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Yep smells like they wanted no chance of a public display of dissention. Bob's hanging on by a thread.

You know you're in trouble when you don't dare bring your people all together at once.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I think Goodenow is getting plenty of support by the players. He has the players believing in a fantasy land. Reality will enter the picture by about December for the players. We might see one more season go down the toilet but I can't imagine they won't wake up by this time next year. Dec 2006 at the latest.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
Crazy_Ike said:
Yep smells like they wanted no chance of a public display of dissention. Bob's hanging on by a thread.

You know you're in trouble when you don't dare bring your people all together at once.
Jeez, do you just make this stuff up out of nowhere? :dunno:

GSC2k2*

EndBoards said:

Seems kind of obvious, actually. "No news to report"? Give me a break. The NHL threw a new wrinkle to the PA's concept; several days of discussions; undoubtedly lots of feedback on the players' concept. "No news to report". Yep. Uh-huh.

Based on that alone, the stated reason for cancellation is transparent baloney. Sooooo, one must look at the reported differences between what Goodenow is doing (i.e., not wanting to stay, leaving early, etc) vs. what is being done (continued meetings).

In all honesty, it could not be clearer that this is a defensive move by the PA. They probably (and rightly) suspect Bettman has a bomb to lob in just before the meeting.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
EndBoards said:
It was my thought too. Bob is in no position to stand in front of his 700-odd employers and explain why they aren't close to resuming their NHL careers.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I think we should all see this for what it is. Goodenow is afraid of his members. I know several players, and I can tell you that they are mighty pissed off. These guys want to play next year and they cannot go another year without income. Unfortunately, Bob has led them off a bridge and doesn't want to face the music. He knows that if this meeting was held, the union would show clear signs of weakness. Even at the last meeting there were reports of physical confrontations between players. Goody is hanging on by a thread.

The nothing to talk about argument is ridiculous. Maybe Goody should answer the questions of the people he is representing, instead of leaving them in the dark. Maybe he should tell them this great plan he has to get them this fantastic deal.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
norrisnick said:
It was my thought too. Bob is in no position to stand in front of his 700-odd employers and explain why they aren't close to resuming their NHL careers.
personally i think the bob has the pa totally up to date via the phone and internet and they are very tight and well informed concerning strategy - he originally told them this would take 18 months to two years to solve - their gonna wait it out -

Scheme

Feb 14, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
mr gib said:
personally i think the bob has the pa totally up to date via the phone and internet and they are very tight and well informed concerning strategy - he originally told them this would take 18 months to two years to solve - their gonna wait it out -

And what strategy is that? The same one that led to them throwing away a billion dollars they'll never get back? :eek:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Crazy_Ike said:

Yet While Goodenow hangs by a thread .. Bettman gets rave reviews by BusinessWeek magazine who has named Gary Bettman one of the worst managers in the United States in 2004.

Magazine ranks NHL boss among worst managers

by CTV.ca News Staff

In a call few hockey fans would likely argue with, an American business magazine has named National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman one of the worst managers of 2004.

In BusinessWeek's list of the seven worst managers of last year, Bettman ranked fifth because of his league's ongoing player lockout, poor finances and weak U.S. television deal.

"NHL finances are in shambles," the magazine wrote, suggesting that under his leadership the league has been "skating on thin ice for years."

It's unknown what Bettman's opinion is of this dubious honor, but there are more than a few NHL players and fans that consider BusinessWeek's assessment of the commissioner to be quite accurate.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1105016746094_18?s_name=&no_ads=

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
He said it was a strategy.

He didn't say it was a good strategy...

This was a regular meeting even when there was no CBA talks at all, when the old CBA was still in effect. Now, in a time when it is crucial the players be informed, Bob hides from them.

He must have heard the clicking of hammers being drawn back...

;)

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Crazy_Ike said:
He said it was a strategy.

He didn't say it was a good strategy...

This was a regular meeting even when there was no CBA talks at all, when the old CBA was still in effect. Now, in a time when it is crucial the players be informed, Bob hides from them.

He must have heard the clicking of hammers being drawn back...

;)
i can't disagree more - they are not stupid

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
The Messenger said:
Yet While Goodenow hangs by a thread .. Bettman gets rave reviews by BusinessWeek magazine who has named Gary Bettman one of the worst managers in the United States in 2004.

Of course you neglect to mention that the reason behind it is the old CBA, which they're trying to fix now.

Too bad the league hasn't had a negotiating partner so far...

:biglaugh:

R0CKET

Jul 2, 2004
The Messenger said:
Seems Goodenow is doing a great job of taking away NHL bargaining options..

Not to mention the exquisite job he did of taking away $1.4 Billion of money they will never ever make up or see again.

If you think that is a good job can I be your financial advisor...please, please!

Proving once again the genius of P.T Barnum.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Maybe the meeting was cancelled b/c they are getting alittle closer to a deal and dont want it to slip out until its almost done. A PA meeting will let what ever is going on slip. Either cancell the meeting b/c of a proposal thats coming or a possible deal or like some others say Bob is scared he will lose his job at this meeting.

I doubt its a deal or even remotly close to one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad