P_B's Mock Draft

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Irish Blues said:
Nice pick - I figured he was going to be gone before too long.

You were right, as usual, IB.

For the Blues' last pick, it was down to LaPoint or Holzapfel. I went with Holzapfel because he was, to me, the best offensive player available at that point, and because it's starting to get to the time in the draft (for me, anyway) when you're looking to fill needs as well as take the BPA.

Every pick the Blues had made up to this point is either a player going to college (Johnson, Lewis) or a European (Kana, Kveton) with the associated question marks surrounding his willingness to come to North America within the two-year time frame.

I thought it was important for the Blues to start focusing on guys who would be, theoretically, ready to make an impact on the organization sooner... thus, I thought it was time to lean more heavily to the side of picking the best major junior player I could find. That was, IMO, Holzapfel, at this point.

Johnson and Lewis may not be in Blues' training camps for another four years.

Kana and Kveton might be in camp in two years... or they might not ever come over.

Holzapfel was the "safe" pick, because a major junior player will be in camp within two years unless he regresses horribly... and may even be in camp as soon as this fall. He might not, and probably will not, stick with the big team, but the Blues can evaluate him against professional competition in camp, something they can't do with a college-bound player like Johnson or Lewis... or LaPoint.

P_B

:bow: :blues

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Mr Bugg said:
The Edmonton Oilers are overjoyed to select, from Vasteras Jr., David Lidstrom.

:eek:

The 139th-ranked prospect in Europe?

OK, spill it... what do you know about this guy that the rest of us don't? That's a very interesting pick.

Inquiring minds want to know... ;)

P_B

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Also, Colorado has 12 hours remaining on the clock. They missed their last pick, so if there's anyone out there who might like to take over Colorado's draft, PM me with a pick, and if the current GM misses his pick, we'll make the switch.

Thanks,

P_B

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Prussian_Blue said:
:eek:

The 139th-ranked prospect in Europe?

OK, spill it... what do you know about this guy that the rest of us don't? That's a very interesting pick.

Inquiring minds want to know... ;)

P_B

While David Lidstrom is not related to Nik, it's easy for one to assume they are based on the younger Lidstrom's vast array of talents. The winner of the 2004 TV-Pucken Best Defenseman award, David Lidstrom has a long history of success, but only recently has it come for him offensively.

David's biggest asset is his skating. He is perhaps the most mobile blueliner in the draft, and is without doubt the best backwards skater. He skates better going backwards than most do going forwards.

While he is not the fastest when going in a straight line, Lidstrom has the rarer ability to move very quickly in any direction. This allows him to be more often than not in position. In fact, it is very rare to see the young blueliner caught out of the play. This has been his trademark for years, stretching back to minor hockey.

Also exceptional is his first pass. He dominted games at times with his ability to make tape-to-tape dishes from his own zone, controlling the flow and speed of the contest.
To match his passing ability, Lidstrom also has great patience and a great head for the game.

All three components did not begin to mesh until the second half of the season, when he exploded for 12 points over his final 15 games. Before that point, he had but 8 in 26.

This performance garnered a promotion for two games to Västerås IK's Division 1 squad for two games, where he garnered no points, penalties and no +/-.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Mr Bugg said:
While David Lidstrom is not related to Nik, it's easy for one to assume they are based on the younger Lidstrom's vast array of talents. The winner of the 2004 TV-Pucken Best Defenseman award, David Lidstrom has a long history of success, but only recently has it come for him offensively.

David's biggest asset is his skating. He is perhaps the most mobile blueliner in the draft, and is without doubt the best backwards skater. He skates better going backwards than most do going forwards.

While he is not the fastest when going in a straight line, Lidstrom has the rarer ability to move very quickly in any direction. This allows him to be more often than not in position. In fact, it is very rare to see the young blueliner caught out of the play. This has been his trademark for years, stretching back to minor hockey.

Also exceptional is his first pass. He dominted games at times with his ability to make tape-to-tape dishes from his own zone, controlling the flow and speed of the contest.
To match his passing ability, Lidstrom also has great patience and a great head for the game.

All three components did not begin to mesh until the second half of the season, when he exploded for 12 points over his final 15 games. Before that point, he had but 8 in 26.

This performance garnered a promotion for two games to Västerås IK's Division 1 squad for two games, where he garnered no points, penalties and no +/-.

:wingsThe Detroit Red Wings select.......

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Hasbro said:
I guess I'm going to have to step in to keep this moving

:avs select Eric Gryba, D Green Bay USHL

Gryba it is... also, Hasbro will be taking over the Avs' draft from this point forward.

The Phoenix GM spot is now vacant; Hasbro mentioned that he might have someone interested in taking it, but if there's anyone else who'd like it, PM me. I'll award the Phoenix GM spot to the first person who contacts me, be it Hasbro's contact or someone else.

Also, I've had a PM from Vancouver... Burke's Evil Spirit is out of the loop for a few days, and so he's asked me to announce his selection.

:nucks select RW Rhett Rakhshani from the USNTDP.

:ducks are now on the clock.

Thanks,

P_B

Weltsky

Sep 21, 2005
Calgary, Alberta
for w.e reason, i cannot access the hockey's future North American or European Skaters list. I am basing my picks on the knowledge i have of the sharks and what I think they need with the prospects ranks. Anyone one know why this is happening or what I can do otherwise or to fix it?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Bzzz... time's up for the Sharks.

In the interest of keeping this thing moving, I'm just going to assign the Sharks a player without polling the board.

Keeping with the Sharks' trend of selecting at least one decent German player every draft, I'm assigning Marcel Muller (Eisbären Berlin) to them. He's the highest-rated German player available (42nd overall in Europe), LW, shoots left, 6-04, 212 pounds, 9-4-13 with 50 PIM in 9 games for the Eisbären senior team this season. Obviously, he played most of the year in the German junior league, but I've got no stat line for him in that league.

P_B

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue
I've had a PM from WpgKings13... Los Angeles selects, from Red Deer of the Western League, goaltender James Reimer.

Didn't think id be home today or tommorrow, but i did so anyways.
After picking up a couple of slides in Mitera, and Marcinko, new Head Coach Brent Sutter ;) is really going to push his young goalie, dispite him being still way off the board. After missing out on Varlamov by one pick, i still think Reimer will be a solid goaltender with starting potential.

Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue
Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL). He's a gritty little sparkplug, good on faceoffs, decent scorer and skater.

Thnx for the info

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
The NY Islanders select Nikolai Kulemin

We are extremely pleased to steal Nikolai and have been very impressed with his WJC tournament as well as this past season in the Russian league, he is also doing very well in the WC in Riga Latvia.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad