Proposal: P.K Subban??

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I would argue the quality of their teams skew these results more than a bit, but I'm not here arguing Subban is the better player right now by any means. I do like the physicality he'd bring, among a few other qualities. I'd be interested in adding him cheap like you said.
Looking at what playing top 4 for the Devils just did to Hamilton's numbers I have no idea how PK would look as a Leaf but I suspect its a bit better than people think. He was still a good defenseman when the Preds traded him , just not $9M good and only got "exposed" when he went to a shit lineup. I think he was pretty banged up when the trade to NJ came and maybe not able to play with quite the same physical edge. He came from being in a really solid top 4 on a strong team to carrying the top pairing on a weak team so much tougher to thrive. The surest way to make any D man ineffective is to put him in a spot where he has to carry more than he is able to.

The Leafs can only make one D add if they replace Holl, and they have to do that knowing Lilly might not be ready for top 4. If they have 25 year old Liljegren with 200 games under his belt then a PK add looks interesting in the 3rd pair but the Holl replacement now needs to be a clear upgrade from JH and not a roll of the dice to see how much game is left there. And to play as rough a game as PK did in his prime, every night. That sort of player is one they would have to trade for.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
if subban can be signed for league minimum to 1 million for 2 year term then I'd dump Holl and Sign Subban

Muzzin Brodie
Rielly Subban
Gio Liljegren

Leftwall-Screen-Bumper-Rightwall-Point
PP1
Marner-Simmonds-Bunting-Matthews-Subban

Leftwall-Screen-Rightwall-LeftPoint-RightPoint
PP2
Nylander-Engvall-Tavares-Gio-Liljegren

Shak19

Oct 31, 2007
Toronto
Trade Holl, Kerfoot, Sandin, package them for a top 6 forward
Sign Subban at 1 year - 900k

All for it if he's willing to come home on a 1 year deal. He will make plenty of money on endorsements being from Rexdale.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
NO, NO, NO!
He is an ash. Couldn't keep his mouth shut for 24 hours and before long he would cause room issues.
Why did Montreal fall out of love with him? Then his play dropped in Jersey.

He is not a leader, he is self-centered.

The Montreal situation came down to the captaincy and Pacioretty

PK was hoping for that C and thought he had it sewn up with the gift to the childrens hospital. I don't know whether PK was a sore loser or Pacioretty was just a poor winner, but the result of that whole schlamozzle was that neither of them fit any longer. Both players worked hard to dispel any rumours of a rift, but the rumours never ever went away even after PK was gone!

Last edited:
Reactions: Niagara Bill

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
not to mention moving Sandin to help get it done

If the Leafs trade 23 year old LHD Sandin, because you signed 39 year old Giordano for 2 years and blocked his path to playing that I see as short term move and long term problem.

However if you can dump $2 mil RHD 30 year old Holl and replace him 33 year old RHD Subban I don't see how that hurts the present or the future.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think we should stop signing washed offensive stars to bottom-six/pair roles that they don't belong in.

I don’t disagree with the sentiment, but not sure I’d agree Subban doesn’t play a game suited to bottom pair.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
If the Leafs trade 23 year old LHD Sandin, because you signed 39 year old Giordano for 2 years and blocked his path to playing that I see as short term move and long term problem.

However if you can dump $2 mil RHD 30 year old Holl and replace him 33 year old RHD Subban I don't see how that hurts the present or the future.
Don't quite get what you're saying here Mess,

what I'm saying is that people in this thread are suggesting signing PK and moving Sandin to do it, which IMO is bloody well brain dead.

I see Sandins upside a lot like Liljegrens as a fairly strong top 4 guy and a fixture on the Leaf blueline for years to come. PK on the other hand would be maybe a 7 with what the Leafs currently boast on this roster.

Mete could be the one blocking Sandins path if anybody is, if of course Mete can get back the swagger he showed over his first season. He looked like he was going to be the second coming of Ryan Ellis, but somehow it all fell apart on him. The guy can really skate almost to Reillys level, he just needs to find his confidence again.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

what I'm saying is that people in this thread are suggesting signing PK and moving Sandin to do it, which IMO is bloody well brain dead.

I see Sandins upside a lot like Liljegrens as a fairly strong top 4 guy and a fixture on the Leaf blueline for years to come. PK on the other hand would be maybe a 7 with what the Leafs currently boast on this roster.

Mete could be the one blocking Sandins path if anybody is, if of course Mete can get back the swagger he showed over his first season. He looked like he was going to be the second coming of Ryan Ellis, but somehow it all fell apart on him. The guy can really skate almost to Reillys level, he just needs to find his confidence again.
No way in hell do we get rid of Sandin for pk what we need to do is get rid of muzzin or Brodie either or and if it’s Brodie rielly goes bacc on his off side with gio and holl plays with Sandin and muzz plays with lily if it’s muzzin then gio plays holl and the Swedes play with each other unless of course we can get pk to replace holl which wouldn’t be so bad imo

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021

If Subban was better and not a self centered ash, I would agree.
However 55 years and counting, thinking short term is ok if we win a SC. FINALLY.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Subban would love it here and he would be great for the community.

Have him as your 6th and 7th dman and put him on your pp. Hopefully he will sign to a vet min or close and move Holl out and it’s a win Imho

horner

May 22, 2007
If P.K will take the hometown discount for a year or two, why not?

He is ultra competitive and would enjoy the spotlight back in a hockey hotbed. He's had playoff success including that insane shutdown of Crosby in his youth on a team that blocked more shots than I've ever seen to upset the Pens.
This team needs a bomb from the point and a players that brings his jam . For a buy low cap 1 mill , let's see what he has left.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Alright, let me clarify.

Sandin is a left shot Dman playing LD, so the only people blocking him are Rielly, Muzzin and now 39 year old Giordano signed for the next 2 years. There is no active roster spot for Sandin to play. In fact the Leafs just gave away 3 X top 100 picks in future drafts (2 X 2nds 2022 & 2023 & 3rd round pick in 2024) to acquire Giordano to block Sandin from playing.

PK Suddan is a right shot Dman playing RD, so the only people blocking him are other RHD TJ Brodie, Holl and Liljegren. That looks weak to me, so I'm suggesting upgrading Holl with Subban (a former Norris winner) is an upgrade, and it doesn't impact Liljegren as his spot on the active roster unaffected in Leafs 6 playing Dmen. Subban is an Ontario boy and thus likely willing to give a hometown discount to come home.

I agree with you here and "Play the kids" both Sandin and Liljegren but the GM has other plans at present based on who is signed and who is not currently.

If little 5-9 24 year old Victor Mete (48 games 1-7-8 pts) a former 4th round pick, who was waived by last place Montreal, claimed by #28th ranked Ottawa and then released without a qualifying offer, can't make 2 X bottom 5 teams, but is challenging Sandin for a roster spot, then Sandin the former 1st round pick can't be much of a prospect, and if Mete is challanging for an active spot among the Leafs 6 Dmen then Leafs don't have much of a defense.. IMO

Now I wouldn't be surprised if Sandin were traded away as a RFA, and Leafs claiming they have his replacement in Mete. That part I am in agreement with you on how Mete impacts Sandin's future with the Leafs perhaps. :wg:

Last edited:

JTK1967

Jul 15, 2009
Windsor
I think because PK's name has been around for so long, people think he is like the Thorton signing. A old guy looking for one last chance at glory.
PK is only 33, and if he is willing to take a deal that is bearable (i.e can be dropped to the AHL without penalty) I think its idiotic to not take him up on it.
Biggest issue IMO is actually our contract number. Wouldnt mind seeing Dubas do a 2 or 3 for 1 trade, moving 3 nickles for a dime from our AHL group.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I hope Sandin is a Leaf for many years.
He will be a low maintenance top 4 D for years to come.

MUZZ will not be playing 82 games for us and Gio will need some rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad