Proposal: P.K Subban??

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
We basically need to move holl or kerfoot to balance the cap at this point.

Adding PK probably doesn't help that much and takes away from using the cap from moving both of them too improve the team

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I would consider it, but only if P.K. was willing to take $1.0 per year, similar to Giordano and I'd only want to do it if I was packaging Kerfoot, Sandin, Holl and picks or prospects, in a deal that lands me an upgrade at LW in my top 6, on a contract that fits.

You could sell me on the idea of...

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Upgrade-Tavares-Nylander
Prospect-Jarnkrok-Engvall
Aube-Kubel-Kampf-Anderson
Gaudette

Rielly-Brodie
Giordano-Liljegren
Muzzin-Subban
Benn

Murray
Samsonov

Reactions: slozo and Bellzy

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Pending maybe a holl trade or something. What do you guys think. Subban as a 3rd pairing guy. No more than like 2 years at 1.5 mil or something. I think he’s got some fuel in the tank. Thoughts.
I've mentioned PK Subban myself on a home town discount former Ontario boy comes home to end his career.

This is what Dubas said the other day when asked if he was done.

Dubas says he isn't done putting finishing touches on Leafs roster,​

Dubas was rather specific when asked about the kind of player he wants to add on the blue line.

“Preferably a right shot with some physicality and some competitiveness and size and strength,” Dubas said. “That would be what we would look for.”

In other words, a player in the ilk of Lyubushkin, who took his robust ways to the Buffalo Sabres on a two-year contract.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
For the record, to keep flexibility maximal, I'd also consider trading Kerfoot, Holl and Sandin and signing a guy like Paul Stasny to a 1 year deal to play 3C... Do something like...

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Jarnkrok-Stasny-Engvall
Aube-Kubel-Kampf-Anderson
Gaudette

Rielly-Brodie
Giordano-Liljegren
Muzzin-Subban

You would have money to add at the deadline id you needed to upgrade Robertson at 2LW and you'd have assets to acquire someone using what you get back for Kerfoot, Sandin and Holl.

Stasny can low key still play. He put up 21 goals and 45 points, in 71 games last year. He was pacing for about 50 points. Ideal 3C on a bargain contract, IMO.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
If P.K will take the hometown discount for a year or two, why not?

He is ultra competitive and would enjoy the spotlight back in a hockey hotbed. He's had playoff success including that insane shutdown of Crosby in his youth on a team that blocked more shots than I've ever seen to upset the Pens.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The team already had seven defencemen prior to the signings of Benn and Mete. Moving Holl out for Subban wouldn't do anything for a potential logjam, although it would at least help out the cap situation ever so slightly (by 500K) if Subban were to sign for 1.5M.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Dubas put out the Bat Signal in that last press conference. Good chance PK signs in TO, Hometown a discount to try to win here. Maybe just waiting for the RFA picture to settle with Sandin and Holl maybe on the block. Wouldn't hate it as a depth move as long as both Sandin and Lijegren get full time duty.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
P.K. Subban in 6 years younger than 39 year old Mark Giordano and signed for 2 years.

I can just picture Leafs PP with PK basting away from the point with his howitzer.

If you get Subban for the Holl cap hit or less $2 mil it would be a no brainer.. You can even toss Holl on waivers and create that cap space as needed.
We need picks.

Reactions: ITM

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Not a fan. He's too wild and erratic. Want us to focus on smart and structured hockey moving forward. Last thing we need in the playoffs is PK Subban spontaneously and recklessly trying to do it all himself to become a Toronto legend.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Dubas put out the Bat Signal in that last press conference. Good chance PK signs in TO, Hometown a discount to try to win here. Maybe just waiting for the RFA picture to settle with Sandin and Holl maybe on the block. Wouldn't hate it as a depth move as long as both Sandin and Lijegren get full time duty.
Even with or without PK, Sandin will be hard pressed to see regular duties without injuries since the Leafs have no plans to play him on his off side.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yes, if you can move the Holl contract, he would make our Power Play so much better. Not to mention he plays way better in a big market.

Not a fan. He's too wild and erratic. Want us to focus on smart and structured hockey moving forward. Last thing we need in the playoffs is PK Subban spontaneously and recklessly trying to do it all himself to become a Toronto legend.

He's not the same player he was in Montreal at all. His game is much more quiet.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The team already had seven defencemen prior to the signings of Benn and Mete. Moving Holl out for Subban wouldn't do anything for a potential logjam, although it would at least help out the cap situation ever so slightly (by 500K) if Subban were to sign for 1.5M.
Jordie Benn only played in 39 games last year and healthy scratch for a large majority.

Mete was waived by the last place Montreal Canadiens and claimed by the 28th place Ottawa Senators and then not given a qualifying offer making him a UFA.

No offense, but these are #8/9 depth Dman moves designed to fill out a Marlies roster and not creating a logjam at the NHL level. :)

Leafs NHL defense ..

LHD
--------------
Rielly
Muzzin
Giordano
Sandin

RHD
---------------
Brodie (shoots L but play rightside)
Liljegren
Holl (out) and Subban (In) using the $2 mil cap space.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Looks like the OP and I had the same thought almost at the exact same time LOL (I posted on the free agent thread).

I'm down for Subban for the reasons I stated in the other thread and for the reasons mentioned above by Mess.

I mentioned bringing Kessel back too and gave reasons.

Of course, both would have to be cheap and we would need to clear out salary.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We need picks.
Sure trade Holl for a draft pick if there are any takers, waiving him wouldn't be the first option, just an option to remove $2 mil cap space.

Why would a team offer a pick, if say they could sign a Dman like PK Subban for free?

Now we don't know what Subban is asking on the open market and he might be looking for a multi year deal paying him $3-4 mil per. (speculation only)

However Subban being an Ontario boy presents the opportunity of home town discount potential just like Leafs got from Gio.

Reactions: A1LeafNation

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Jordie Benn only played in 39 games last year and healthy scratch for a large majority.

Mete was waived by the last place Montreal Canadiens and claimed by the 28th place Ottawa Senators and then not given a qualifying offer making him a UFA.

No offense, but these are #8/9 depth Dman moves designed to fill out a Marlies roster and not creating a logjam at the NHL level. :)

Leafs NHL defense ..

LHD
--------------
Rielly
Muzzin
Giordano
Sandin

RHD
---------------
Brodie (shoots L but play rightside)
Liljegren
Holl (out) and Subban (In) using the $2 mil cap space.
We're not in disagreement here as I mentioned that the team already has seven defenceman ahead of Benn and Mete as is. Unless the team plans on utilizing 11F and 7D as a regular approach in games, exchanging Holl for Subban won't really change that situation much at all.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
P.K. Subban in 6 years younger than 39 year old Mark Giordano and signed for 2 years.

I can just picture Leafs PP with PK basting away from the point with his howitzer.

If you get Subban for the Holl cap hit or less $2 mil it would be a no brainer.. You can even toss Holl on waivers and create that cap space as needed.

Subban isn't the player he used to be. Leaf fans would be sorely disappointed with him if that's the expectation.

Plus he's always been a defensive liability.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

I dont understand how your logic can be so consistently inconsistent.

In another thread youre complaining about depth pickups because their from bottom feeders and now you want Subban, who played bottom pair minutes on a non playoff team.

And your reasoning is to see Subban replace a top pair PKer for us, so he can play PP2 when he was PP3 on a bottom 5 powerplay?

And ti be clear, im fine with adding Subban under a mill, but he'd slot on as our 8th best D now.

Reactions: Magic Man

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We're not in disagreement here as I mentioned that the team already has seven defenceman ahead of Benn and Mete as is. Unless the team plans on utilizing 11F and 7D as a regular approach in games, exchanging Holl for Subban won't really change that situation much at all.
We're in agreement on the quantity but not the quality :)

Subban >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Holl

Leafs started the playoffs for the first 2 games with Holl in the pressbox as a healthy scratch (and should have left him there).

Remember this ?

1657983053317.png

** Norris Trophy winner P.K. Subban **

Now remember this ?

1657983491480.png

** Justin Holl delayed penalty on this pick play in game #7 **

Last edited:
Reactions: bax and Magic Man

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Looks like the OP and I had the same thought almost at the exact same time LOL (I posted on the free agent thread).

I'm down for Subban for the reasons I stated in the other thread and for the reasons mentioned above by Mess.

I mentioned bringing Kessel back too and gave reasons.

Of course, both would have to be cheap and we would need to clear out salary.

You could bring Dave Keon back too but it won't help you win a cup.

These players are DONE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad