Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSAttackFan88

Jan 2, 2015
I think that's the part that is most exciting this season is the fact that there is legit internal competition at all positions. The young players are hungry and very talented. They want to play and know they have to take someone else's job. The older guys know they're coming and have to work to stay in the lineup.

The goaltending is an awesome battle. George is coming to take the net and Votary will be better for it. Those two competing for the net is a positive thing. The harder they make it on the other to take the #1 spot the better they will be for it. They have to be sharper in practice which will make them better come game time. This to me is the reason you don't name a #1 guy at this point in the year. Dangle the carrot and make them earn it.
I dunno… I think George is the better goalie.. he makes the key save.. just me though..

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I dunno… I think George is the better goalie.. he makes the key save.. just me though..
George might very well be the better goalie but he's 17 with ten games in the league coming into the season. There is a difference between being given the starter's role vs taking it. I don't think it would send the right message to Votary either, or the team in general, if they gave the role to George without any competition for it. You need both goalies to play this year. If after ten to fifteen games George is clearly the guy then you can explain it to Votary and at least he had the opportunity to compete for it. You give it to George out the gate and it tells Votary we don't believe in you.

Owen Sound has typically made roster decisions based on merit. If your play warrants it, you will be given more playing time. I don't think goaltending is exempt from that philosophy. There's absolutely zero harm to George in making him earn the net.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Nice to get the win tonight but still some kinks to iron out in the D-zone. George was really good tonight but I guarantee you he didn't like the second goal that beat him. Crawford gets his first OHL goal, Goure maintains his torrid pace with goal #4 on the season, Petrovsky picks up his first and some Barlow guy scores two in his season debut.

They did end up making some tweaks in the bottom six from what was talked about earlier in the week that I didn't love. They really struggled to get quality minutes outside of the top two lines tonight I thought.

I thought as a whole Kitchener's speed and attack on the forecheck really made life difficult on the Attack D and they had a hard time getting out of their zone. I think that's going to be something to keep an eye on moving forward to see if they can make that adjustment.

Reactions: HLLYWD99

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
It was an ugly win tonight. Erie was definitely the better team and tilted the ice through most of the second and start of the third periods. Deni Goure is incredible right now. He's tenacious at both ends of the ice and making a lot of really good plays. I didn't really love that they split up the Hookey - Goure - Waddick line but the Burroughs - Goure - Nansi line was really good tonight. Nansi's puck skill and playmaking seems to really compliment the two veteran players.

I really like what I've seen from James Petrovski so far. He's been noticeably more physical, better utilizing his big frame, and making some pretty good decisions with the puck. Him stepping up this year would be huge for the blueline.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It was an ugly win tonight. Erie was definitely the better team and tilted the ice through most of the second and start of the third periods. Deni Goure is incredible right now. He's tenacious at both ends of the ice and making a lot of really good plays. I didn't really love that they split up the Hookey - Goure - Waddick line but the Burroughs - Goure - Nansi line was really good tonight. Nansi's puck skill and playmaking seems to really compliment the two veteran players.

I really like what I've seen from James Petrovski so far. He's been noticeably more physical, better utilizing his big frame, and making some pretty good decisions with the puck. Him stepping up this year would be huge for the blueline.
Not surprised at all. Glad to see Petrovski developing in OS even though I think he’s the type of D Flint could really use right now. I’d love to see him playing in the Finals this year.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound

Nansi's continued progress and how good he looks (out there in an offensive situation with 5 minutes left - already has the coach's trust) has him looking more like a first or second rounder and could be a gamechanger for this team.

Last night was one of those classic junior games and definitely exposed the issues this team has on defence. Historically out of character for this team, but if a #1 D becomes available, this team should be doing whatever it takes to lock that player down. Take some of the pressure off a defence that already shows its lack of mobility and reliance on Sedley.

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Why are the highlights from last night so bad :-( I've had limited time to watch but what I can say is I see a more capable forward group. To me this is allow Sedley to be a bit more focused on the back end. That bank pass to spring Burroughs for the winner was a thing of beauty. Looking forward to this season for sure.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

That was a fun game to watch, terrifying in a way that they couldn't hold the lead, but great to see them battle back and win despite all the reasons to waive the white flag.

Goure was just as good if not even better last year, he was top 3 in scoring before he had the injury that required the bubble for the second half, and at that point he was half the player. He won't keep this pace up, but 100 points and 40 goals, for sure are within realistic path.

Like you said, the fun part is the forward depth, Cormier is playing very well, Hookey is very as well, plus guys like Crawford and Nansi already showing more then what we anticipated from them. Have to wonder if they will move an Addy type for a top end defenceman. At this point they may just be that one D away from being an elite team.

I could see them adding a depth 3rd line type forward, keeping everyone in a better spot, im not sure we can plan for Crawford or Nansi to be as effective in April as they are in October is all.

At very worse, its going to be a very good offensive team and if George and Votary can keep it 3 or less, they will win way more then they lose.

Its nice to actually see the power play get going as well.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
That was a fun game to watch, terrifying in a way that they couldn't hold the lead, but great to see them battle back and win despite all the reasons to waive the white flag.

Goure was just as good if not even better last year, he was top 3 in scoring before he had the injury that required the bubble for the second half, and at that point he was half the player. He won't keep this pace up, but 100 points and 40 goals, for sure are within realistic path.

Like you said, the fun part is the forward depth, Cormier is playing very well, Hookey is very as well, plus guys like Crawford and Nansi already showing more then what we anticipated from them. Have to wonder if they will move an Addy type for a top end defenceman. At this point they may just be that one D away from being an elite team.

I could see them adding a depth 3rd line type forward, keeping everyone in a better spot, im not sure we can plan for Crawford or Nansi to be as effective in April as they are in October is all.

At very worse, its going to be a very good offensive team and if George and Votary can keep it 3 or less, they will win way more then they lose.

Its nice to actually see the power play get going as well.
The D-zone is the biggest stumbling block for me right now. I don't think they're bad at defending but definitely struggled to move the puck out of the zone. They have a tendency to turn it over in their own end and give the opposition more opportunities to score. I think it's something that will have to be addressed if they want to make a serious run at a championship. I think part of the problem is a bit of foot speed/foot work as they can tend to be a half step behind when defending or retrieving pucks. I don't think any moves can be made until closer to the deadline as those players typically aren't available this time of year so they have some time to try and work it out internally but it's tough to watch at times.

Definitely agree with Crawford and Nansi showing more than what would be expected of rookies. I would argue that they should continues to improve with more games under their belts and possibly solidify themselves by April.

Cormier looks to have definitely taken a step this year. Really like what he's shown so far. Hopefully they can work out a solid third line internally because I don't think they will have the pieces to acquire both a D and a depth F.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
The D-zone is the biggest stumbling block for me right now. I don't think they're bad at defending but definitely struggled to move the puck out of the zone. They have a tendency to turn it over in their own end and give the opposition more opportunities to score. I think it's something that will have to be addressed if they want to make a serious run at a championship. I think part of the problem is a bit of foot speed/foot work as they can tend to be a half step behind when defending or retrieving pucks. I don't think any moves can be made until closer to the deadline as those players typically aren't available this time of year so they have some time to try and work it out internally but it's tough to watch at times.

Definitely agree with Crawford and Nansi showing more than what would be expected of rookies. I would argue that they should continues to improve with more games under their belts and possibly solidify themselves by April.

Cormier looks to have definitely taken a step this year. Really like what he's shown so far. Hopefully they can work out a solid third line internally because I don't think they will have the pieces to acquire both a D and a depth F.

Probably right, but I guess it depends on the type of depth forward. I could see an 04 who is not good enough to be an overage but can be a 9 or 10th forward costing a simple 5th round pick or so, not that different then Stewart last year but maybe a bit of a different player, one with a bit more offensive upside but has Stewart's compete level and aggression. That would be all I would want.

If Brennan showed that so far, and perhaps he will, then I would say its not needed, but I would just be a bit worried on relying on those 07s in April is all.

Cormier may be too important to move at this stage, which is good for him.

Reactions: Stellar29

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Probably right, but I guess it depends on the type of depth forward. I could see an 04 who is not good enough to be an overage but can be a 9 or 10th forward costing a simple 5th round pick or so, not that different then Stewart last year but maybe a bit of a different player, one with a bit more offensive upside but has Stewart's compete level and aggression. That would be all I would want.

If Brennan showed that so far, and perhaps he will, then I would say its not needed, but I would just be a bit worried on relying on those 07s in April is all.

Cormier may be too important to move at this stage, which is good for him.
I don't think Brennan is the answer personally. He didn't have a great camp and the 07s have definitely made it difficult for him to get back into the line up. I think they can run what they have to the trade deadline and if they can get the right depth piece at the right price then pull the trigger. I think a lot depends on what they spend on a blueline upgrade assuming it happens and what they have left to work with.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Big test his afternoon against North Bay. Assuming they start Dom DiVincentiis there won't be room for error. The offence won't be able to out score the defensive miscues. Really good run of games with North Bay, Sudbury and Soo up next and all good teams. Might be too early in the year to call it a measuring stick run of games but should be a pretty good indicator of where the team stands and what issues need to be addressed.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Tough loss in North Bay. Two mistakes by the Attack, a Guindon turnover in the defensive end and a George misplay with the puck, both end up in the net. North Bay really smothered the Attack offense and all they could really muster was the perfect shot from Cormier to beat Dom D.

Not sure if something happened to Steen but I don't recall seeing him in the second or third periods and didn't catch anything in the game injury wise.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
A few costly mistakes put this game away and a few we got away with.. Glad they happened early in the season, here's hoping we learn from them moving forward. George looked every bit as brilliant at times in this game as he did last year and earlier this summer.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Tough loss in North Bay. Two mistakes by the Attack, a Guindon turnover in the defensive end and a George misplay with the puck, both end up in the net. North Bay really smothered the Attack offense and all they could really muster was the perfect shot from Cormier to beat Dom D.

Not sure if something happened to Steen but I don't recall seeing him in the second or third periods and didn't catch anything in the game injury wise.
2 mistakes and an empty netter against possibly the best goalie in the league apologies to Simpson. I always call hockey the game of mistakes and the team that wins capitalises on the other teams and covers up there own better. Yesterdays game pretty much sums that up they don't make many mistakes defensively and if they do Dom has there back.

Reactions: OSattackfan

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
2 mistakes and an empty netter against possibly the best goalie in the league apologies to Simpson. I always call hockey the game of mistakes and the team that wins capitalises on the other teams and covers up there own better. Yesterdays game pretty much sums that up they don't make many mistakes defensively and if they do Dom has there back.
I don't think Owen Sound played a bad game but the margin for error was very small playing the best goalie in the league and North Bay plays a strong defensive system. I don't think it would be fair to expect a game with zero mistakes as it is junior hockey but it's pretty tough when you know it's going to be a hard game to generate scoring chances. I don't think Owen Sound really gave up too many good looks outside of the two mistakes that went in the net. That's probably the best defensive game they've played so far this season.

I haven't seen anything in any post game write ups about Steen so maybe my eyes just failed me and he was still out there lol. Anybody else pick up on that or just me?

Reactions: KFawcett

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
NB Battalion fan here re: Madden Steen, confirming your observation. I just finished watching the replay and had your question in mind. He played a regular shift in the first, no abnormal contact that I observed, left the ice with 1 min. remaining on a regular shift change. He did not appear the rest of the way, that I could tell.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
NB Battalion fan here re: Madden Steen, confirming your observation. I just finished watching the replay and had your question in mind. He played a regular shift in the first, no abnormal contact that I observed, left the ice with 1 min. remaining on a regular shift change. He did not appear the rest of the way, that I could tell.
Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it. Good to know I didn't imagine it lol.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
I don't think Owen Sound played a bad game but the margin for error was very small playing the best goalie in the league and North Bay plays a strong defensive system. I don't think it would be fair to expect a game with zero mistakes as it is junior hockey but it's pretty tough when you know it's going to be a hard game to generate scoring chances. I don't think Owen Sound really gave up too many good looks outside of the two mistakes that went in the net. That's probably the best defensive game they've played so far this season.

I haven't seen anything in any post game write ups about Steen so maybe my eyes just failed me and he was still out there lol. Anybody else pick up on that or just me?
I thought the Attack played a very solid game N.B played a defensive gem and in my opinion we weren't far behind that is just how close the margin for error is. Also I see N.B is in the top 10 this week so there is that.

Reactions: Stellar29

CTrain10

Mar 23, 2023
Always a good group of Attack fans who show up for the games in Sudbury. Hopefully see lots of you on Friday!

Reactions: Millpond

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Definitely not a game the Attack deserved to win. They had a good opening period and were hemmed in their own zone for the majority of the second and third period. Guindon's gift goal and George stopping the penalty shot is probably the only reason we got a point.

Really odd game for me from a coaching stand point. Didn't really like the line combos at all. And why dress 6 D to only play 5? I think Smith got a 15 second shift in the fist, a 20 second shift in the second period and never touched the ice in the third. It's game 6 of the season, are we really scared to play him? Petrovski got booted before the half way mark of the third and they finished the game with just four D, entirely by their own doing. If it was a playoff game I'd get it but game 6? With another game tomorrow? What are they going to have left in the tank for the next game? I would totally understand trying to shelter his minutes in his first OHL game but they just completely stapled the kid to the bench for no real apparent reason.

It seemed they were fine with the Petrovsky - Guindon - Barlow line taking the tough matchups and letting Deni Goure center line 2 against team's weaker defensive groups which he was doing very well at. I don't like putting Goure and Barlow together for that reason. I get the team hasn't exactly performed as expected yet offensively in the early going of the season but this felt like change for the sake of change rather than based on logic or reason. This was one of the things that bugged me last year too was just constant changes to the lines every game. It's tough to develop any chemistry when you're playing with new line mates every night.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Bit of a shocker but James Petrovski got 5 games for whatever earned him the Game Misconduct last night. Assuming Steen is still out then Smith and Ethier are in. Question becomes do they actually play them or just try to roll the top 4? Can't imagine they try and get away with not playing Smith and Ethier on the back end of a back to back on the road but I didn't expect to see Smith glued to the bench last night either. Likely going to be a bit of trial by fire.

1697307792862.png

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Bit of a shocker but James Petrovski got 5 games for whatever earned him the Game Misconduct last night. Assuming Steen is still out then Smith and Ethier are in. Question becomes do they actually play them or just try to roll the top 4? Can't imagine they try and get away with not playing Smith and Ethier on the back end of a back to back on the road but I didn't expect to see Smith glued to the bench last night either. Likely going to be a bit of trial by fire.

View attachment 752697
Let's hope thewhole team comes to play andthegamedoesnt get ugly and out of hand .
Sooooo....
30 or 32 ?

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Let's hope thewhole team comes to play andthegamedoesnt get ugly and out of hand .
Sooooo....
30 or 32 ?
That's a tough question. George has 4 starts and Votary has 2 on the season. It should probably be Votary tonight but I suspect they go George again tonight. George probably gets the game next Friday in Kitchener too as they obviously like that matchup. Votary probably doesn't get in until Saturday at home to Brantford. After tonight the next 7 games on the schedule are a little more friendly and they can likely do more of a split. If George goes again tonight then it's a pretty obvious statement that he is the guy. It seemed that was going to be the likely outcome eventually but earlier in the season than I would have expected.

Just my own opinion but it seems the coach is managing the team like his job is on the line based on the line juggling and how they deployed their D last night. This is still a development league and you can't manage these games like they're game 7 of a playoff series every night at this point in the season. Obviously you play to win but it's also the coaching staff's responsibility to develop the kids as well. Pretty hard to grow as a player if you don't see the ice. They need to find the right balance and not overplay their top players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad