Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Lawrence sat for both games. It would appear he is the one they are trying to find a home for. Goure looks awfully motivated early on with 3 goals through the opening two games and consistently looking like the best player on the ice for Owen Sound.

The team looked a mess defensively against Guelph with all four goals against directly contributed to defensive miscues or lost coverage. George bailed them out late in the second against Barrie after a couple of tough turnovers. Obviously they are working to implement a new system defensively but that needs to get sorted out pretty quickly. You can't expect your goalies to give you a save every time. Looked like Steen was having the most trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if they experiment a little bit with Smith or Ethier and do a bit of a rotation.

I thought Cormier had a solid showing on Saturday. He was a regular ok the PK and was out late protecting the lead, eventually scoring the empty netter. Some positive signs early on for him.

The rookies look good so far. Crawford saw an increase in minutes in the third against Guelph on Friday night and was solid again Saturday night. Nansi hasn't looked out of place. Didn't notice Addy a whole lot on Saturday but he definitely wasn't popular with Barrie.

Thought Hookey and Petrovski looked improved from last year. They'll be important pieces this year so hopefully they can build off that.

Kitchener and Erie coming up. Hopefully some good practice this week with everybody back except Barlow and they can work out some of the issues.

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
George was excellent when needed. It looked like Smith had a cast on his hand in the tunnel.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Hopefully with Winnipeg sending Barlow back that means he's healthy. He missed all week and only skated with the injured players away from the main group so it must have been a pretty nasty illness. He's got all week to regroup and practice with the Attack before the game Friday against Kitchener. The forward mix while he was gone was:

Petrovsky - Guindon - Burroughs
Hookey - Goure - Waddick
Stewart - Cormier - Tersigni/Nansi
Addy/Nansi - Crawford - Tersigni/Brennan

Barlow likely slides into Burroughs role who moves down into Waddick's spot. Waddick likely plays on the third line with Stewart and Cormier. Crawford centers Addy and Tersigni on line 4 with Nansi and Brennan being out. Brennan's roster spot suddenly looks in jeopardy in the early goings. Nansi probably doesn't deserve to come out but Crawford has been good centering the fourth line and playing on the PK. Addy and Nansi could be looking at a bit of a rotation potentially. Looks like it could be tough for Brennan to get back in right away.

I'm thinking the weekend games against Kitchener and Erie might be a good time to try a bit of a rotation on D to get Smith and Ethier a chance. I don't think Steen or Rogers had amazing games Friday/Saturday.

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022
Hopefully with Winnipeg sending Barlow back that means he's healthy. He missed all week and only skated with the injured players away from the main group so it must have been a pretty nasty illness. He's got all week to regroup and practice with the Attack before the game Friday against Kitchener. The forward mix while he was gone was:

Petrovsky - Guindon - Burroughs
Hookey - Goure - Waddick
Stewart - Cormier - Tersigni/Nansi
Addy/Nansi - Crawford - Tersigni/Brennan

Barlow likely slides into Burroughs role who moves down into Waddick's spot. Waddick likely plays on the third line with Stewart and Cormier. Crawford centers Addy and Tersigni on line 4 with Nansi and Brennan being out. Brennan's roster spot suddenly looks in jeopardy in the early goings. Nansi probably doesn't deserve to come out but Crawford has been good centering the fourth line and playing on the PK. Addy and Nansi could be looking at a bit of a rotation potentially. Looks like it could be tough for Brennan to get back in right away.

I'm thinking the weekend games against Kitchener and Erie might be a good time to try a bit of a rotation on D to get Smith and Ethier a chance. I don't think Steen or Rogers had amazing games Friday/Saturday.
29 was on 3rd today...21on 1st obviously holding spot for 39...2nd line stayed intact which I like alot....but who knows

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Pretty cool interview piece with Carter George.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Ouch that hurts a bit

Happy he gets a chance to play and on a decent squad but the price seems really low. I get that there really isn't a market for an oa right now but that still is awful low. I guess better then nothing though

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Looks like Colby was reunited with Servac and Cedrick today.

Waddick ,Goure, Hookey

Stewart, Cormier, Burroughs ??

Addy/ Nansi, Crawford, Tersigny/Brennan ??

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Waddick has played well with his current linemates.
They've been the best line in the first games
Agreed. I wouldn't touch the Hookey-Goure-Waddick line right now. They look great so far. Moving Burroughs down to the third line with Stewart and Cormier just lengthens the line up and really gives them three very good lines, something that they struggled all of last season to piece together.

Reactions: Noofgoof

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Comp
Agreed. I wouldn't touch the Hookey-Goure-Waddick line right now. They look great so far. Moving Burroughs down to the third line with Stewart and Cormier just lengthens the line up and really gives them three very good lines, something that they struggled all of last season to piece together.

I completely agree the Goure Hookey Waddick line should be untouchable at the moment they seem to be really clicking atleast on Saturday and likely safe to say the same about last Friday since Goure had multiple goals. It will be nice to see what Colby can bring this season with Guindon and Petrovski

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
It was standard practice last season , mostly due to lost man games, to double shift top six players and dress 5, sometimes 4 dmen .

If we want to see long, deep playoff success, the roster needs to fire on all cylinders and everyone needs to play their part.

If someone outplays someone else and bumps their playing time/ line, I'm fine with that.

Friendly competition is good .
One of our goalies has made it crystal clear he intends to be the starter.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
It was standard practice last season , mostly due to lost man games, to double shift top six players and dress 5, sometimes 4 dmen .

If we want to see long, deep playoff success, the roster needs to fire on all cylinders and everyone needs to play their part.

If someone outplays someone else and bumps their playing time/ line, I'm fine with that.

Friendly competition is good .
One of our goalies has made it crystal clear he intends to be the starter.
I think that's the part that is most exciting this season is the fact that there is legit internal competition at all positions. The young players are hungry and very talented. They want to play and know they have to take someone else's job. The older guys know they're coming and have to work to stay in the lineup.

The goaltending is an awesome battle. George is coming to take the net and Votary will be better for it. Those two competing for the net is a positive thing. The harder they make it on the other to take the #1 spot the better they will be for it. They have to be sharper in practice which will make them better come game time. This to me is the reason you don't name a #1 guy at this point in the year. Dangle the carrot and make them earn it.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
I think Waddick on the 3rd, don't think Burroughs would like that
I think Ethan won't mind. He is a Team first guy and a leader hence the nickname Daddy Burr. Saturdays game that line saw some decent icetime.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Interesting game tonight. Kitchener is off to a good start at 3-0 with pretty good D and goaltending. They are also the most penalized team in the early going. The PP will need to be sharp to try and capitalize on their opportunities. Could be a relatively tight low scoring affair.

Reactions: Noofgoof
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad