Owen Sound Attack 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
With a bit of luck in the standings and final weekend home ice .

Actually I don’t think a lot of Luck is needed I think OS should take Home Ice over the Knights. That Home Ice should translate out to a First Round Victory in my mind for OS. Lot of youth on London with all the trading that went on of the experienced veterans at the trade deadline again should allow OS to do a bit of teaching of our young Knights. However not very often a Hunter run or coached team “mails it in” screw up and they will be their to take advantage! Should be a good series.......

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
There is an agreement in place between the NHL and the CHL (Canadian Hockey League, the overarching organization beneath which stand the OHL, the WHL, and the QMJHL) which exists primarily to protect the CHL. The rule is as follows:

Players drafted and playing for CHL teams are ineligible to play in the professional minor leagues (AHL, ECHL) until they are 20 years old (by December 31st of that year) or have completed four years in major juniors

European players further complicate The Agreement. If European players are drafted in the CHL draft before they're drafted by an NHL club, this rule applies to them. However, if they're drafted as a member of a European squad, and choose post-NHL-draft to play for a CHL team, they can, in fact, report to the NHL team's minor squads before the age limit kicks in

Hope this helps explain things a bit.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Great to see Durzi back. I was hoping for a lot of PP's so we could see how it faired with him back on the point again. The team now has 7 20+ goal scorers with Szypula very close to 20. Pretty passing on the 3rd goal by the top line and on the 7th goal Durzi shows his vision with a fake shot/pass to Szypula. The line of Szypula, McKenzie and Lyszczarczyk is coming together, maybe this coach isn't as bad as he seems, we were all up in arms when he broke up the Sushko, Dudas, Szypula line.

I would have liked to see a showdown between rookie goaltenders with Cavallin vs. Guzda.

Win and let the chips fall where they may, home ice or not, the playoffs is going to be exciting and you know the bayshore will be ROCKING.
In addition to the usual suspects I was expecting to have good nights, Mitchell Russell caught my eye and was doing a lot of little things that impressed me.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Actually I don’t think a lot of Luck is needed I think OS should take Home Ice over the Knights. That Home Ice should translate out to a First Round Victory in my mind for OS. Lot of youth on London with all the trading that went on of the experienced veterans at the trade deadline again should allow OS to do a bit of teaching of our young Knights. However not very often a Hunter run or coached team “mails it in” screw up and they will be their to take advantage! Should be a good series.......

Home ice advantage is a funny thing in this league sometimes it truly is an advantage and sometimes it can work against you like it did for Mississauga in 2011's league final series.

You're right it should be a good series all around although there still needs to be a bit of luck for OS if they want home ice to start the series which at this point is still up for grabs by both clubs and IMO is something that any team in any playoff postition in the first 5 seeds should shoot for if not then it wouldn't be worth having home ice to start a series

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Is it just me, are there others who are getting a little fatigued by:

The constant review of goals, many seemingly for little or no reason , seriously interuption the flow of the game. If these reviews are initiated by a coach, and the de I sion on ice stands, should the reviews be limited in number per game, or should the coach and team get a delay of game for failed review ?

The constant tossing of centre men from faceoffs by linesmen.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA

The constant review of goals, many seemingly for little or no reason , seriously interuption the flow of the game. If these reviews are initiated by a coach, and the de I sion on ice stands, should the reviews be limited in number per game, or should the coach and team get a delay of game for failed review ?

couldn't agree more

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014

I agree on both counts. Reviews take place on shots that go 3 ft over the net. Dudas is always getting kicked out of the circle, not sure why.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Guzda gets the start tonight. Looks like coach wants to keep him sharp heading into the post-season.

I'm hearing Fred call is name, and he's the starter listed on Windsor game sheet.
Was tracking the game on my phone on the OHL website. The game tracker was putting the goalie stats under Guzda's name, so it looked like he got the start. Now that I'm home and watching, I see that Oli got the start. And the OHL website now has the game's goalie stats under Oli's name.

Weird. Oh well.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Wow, another great win for the Attack tonight! Very nice to see more complete games being played by the boys heading into the playoffs. Contribution from all four lines the last few games for sure. Gadjovich-Hancock-Suzuki line with a big night tonight, Lazer-McKenzie-Szypula had the big night last night, Sushko-Dudas-Groulx line with two solid games together and Moro-Russell-Campbell getting on the score sheet tonight. Is it not just amazing how the addition of Durzi on the back end makes the 6 man unit so complete? Add to this the confident recent play of Oli and Guzda and this OS team is looking a lot like the group that we had all hoped to see this season.
Keep it together boys, the BIG season is just a week away!!!

Reactions: Noofgoof

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Wow, another great win for the Attack tonight! Very nice to see more complete games being played by the boys heading into the playoffs. Contribution from all four lines the last few games for sure. Gadjovich-Hancock-Suzuki line with a big night tonight, Lazer-McKenzie-Szypula had the big night last night, Sushko-Dudas-Groulx line with two solid games together and Moro-Russell-Campbell getting on the score sheet tonight. Is it not just amazing how the addition of Durzi on the back end makes the 6 man unit so complete? Add to this the confident recent play of Oli and Guzda and this OS team is looking a lot like the group that we had all hoped to see this season.
Keep it together boys, the BIG season is just a week away!!!

OSattackfan

Jan 13, 2018
Wow, that was a great game for us. Great to see all four lines rolling. The Gadjovich-Hancock-Suzuki line was showing some great passing skills. Those guys are really connecting. Durzi doesn't look like he even missed a step after been injured. Glad to see this team prove that they can play with the big dogs.
Way to go guys, can;t wait to see the game Saturday night.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Nice to see the youngsters have some goals .
Build their confidence going into the playoffs .

Greg Cowan

Mar 14, 2018
If we waive or trade OL and he ends up playing even a game in a league next year do we have to pay up the 3rd round pick?

Maybe we play the you win your in method with the goalies. Guzda won in Sarnia so start in Saginaw. If he wins keep him going. But for that to work coach needs to tell them that's the deal.

I was able to confirm the other day this is indeed the case. The Owen Sound Attack would be on the hook for a third-round pick no matter where Olivier Lafreniere plays an overage Ontario Hockey League game, with Owen Sound or otherwise.

Reactions: SebJHockey

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I was able to confirm the other day this is indeed the case. The Owen Sound Attack would be on the hook for a third-round pick no matter where Olivier Lafreniere plays an overage Ontario Hockey League game, with Owen Sound or otherwise.
Welcome to HFBoards, Greg!

Thanks for sharing this info. On the surface, this doesn't seem like a smart condition from the Attack's perspective. I would assume, then, that we at least start next year with Oli and see how he does.

Let's hope that goalies don't count toward the OA limit next season. Potential OA's in Hancock, Durzi, Bourque, and Lazer whom I'd prefer over Oli at this point.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

Welcome to the HFB community GC more input from different soures is always exciting to see on here

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Looks like Sarnia's backup goalie could get the start tonight.

As per the Sarnia paper (Sting double Knights):

Sting head coach Derian Hatcher said earlier in the week both goalies would get one start this weekend, so Aidan Hughes will likely receive the nod in Owen Sound.

The Sting dressed their ‘A’ lineup Friday. Are they going to do it again in Owen Sound?

The Sting say they haven’t decided who will ride the bus.

“It’s something we’re still discussing,” Sting assistant coach Brad Staubitz said. “We’ll have everyone out for a skate in the morning and see where they’re at.”

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Didn't Hughes beat the Attack earlier this year?

Play fast Attack hockey and i thinks they have a chance. IMO Sarnia has speed but has trouble with speed coming at them.

Last edited:

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
If the hounds rest a lot of guys, like Sarnia did tonight, and London wins, do they get home ice because of more wins. Wouldn’t that be ironic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad