Owen Sound Attack 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Attack pull one out of the magic hat tonight after sounds of OL shaky start good too have MG pick up the pieces when he needed too.

Hopefully a bit better collective team play will start to rub off just in time before the post-season starting gate opens up with home ice still in reach of the guys I really hope that the team can continue this groove into the post-season and hopefully a home ice start in about 2 weeks.

FW was certainly hinting of a potential key piece in tonight's pregame thoughts (5) returning for hopefully the last 3 games of regular season next week which should help with rotations in a series with a difficult oppositon like the Knights on the potential horizon.

OL has to pick up his socks and soon we can't expect MG to carry the team deep in the post-season in relief every game especially if we start the series on away from the Lum.

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
I hope OL has started to look at universities for next year. Even with a rule change for OA goalies I don't think he'll have a job in this league next year. He's come in and done what he could, he's a very positive team player, he does handle the puck well but he's just not able to make a key saves and let's in too many softies. The 4th goal how do you leave that gap between you and post?? I was glad to see the coach make the switch.

I try not to jump on the GM blame train but I'm really disappointed each time I look at the goalie stats and see 2 guys we had having good years (Vella,Propp).

What was nice to see is the boys hold the fort in the 3rd and take the win.

That Barrie top line is dangerous.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
This Attack team is 4th in goals scored in the OHL.

Imagine where they'd. ......Oh, never mind.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I hope OL has started to look at universities for next year. Even with a rule change for OA goalies I don't think he'll have a job in this league next year. He's come in and done what he could, he's a very positive team player, he does handle the puck well but he's just not able to make a key saves and let's in too many softies. The 4th goal how do you leave that gap between you and post?? I was glad to see the coach make the switch.

I try not to jump on the GM blame train but I'm really disappointed each time I look at the goalie stats and see 2 guys we had having good years (Vella,Propp).
I agree with all of that.

Even if overage goalies do not count toward the OA limit next season, I would still not want him back due to the reasons you mentioned above, plus the fact that we would end up losing yet another high pick if he returns.

From the Sun Times following the Oli trade: Attack net new goalie in trade with Ottawa

Dale DeGray has sent an eighth-round pick in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection for the 19-year-old goaltender. The 67’s will receive a third-round selection in 2021 if Lafreniere plays an over-age season.

A third-round pick would be a small price to pay if he plays well enough to warrant the over-age season,” said DeGray.

Mack Guzda, 16, made a number of highlight-reel saves, but DeGray has made it clear experience is king between the pipes.

Like I’ve mentioned before, the ‘experience’ mantra has not proven true in the crease this season.

And speaking of experience, this is Oli’s second season in the OHL, having played 34 games last season in his first OHL year. Guzda has already played 29 games this year. So does that mean that by next season Guzda will have the requisite experience that DD is wanting for his starting goaltender?

Reactions: OSMike

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Unfortunately our tending this year is either inexperienced or is like a rowboat with a small hole in the bottom of it, it will get you where you want to go most days but every so often the leak gets a tiny bit bigger and can't be bailed out any faster then the water comes in.

Good for Gill to see that last night and weld the boat together for a bumpy ride home over the Colts but that boat needs to be hurricae ready for the post-season

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I still think the Attack are far to skilled for any team to take lightly come the play offs. It will be a tough series for any opposing team to get through if the Attack even get average goal tending. They can keep up with any team scoring goals and better most.

Reactions: Noofgoof

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
I still think the Attack are far to skilled for any team to take lightly come the play offs. It will be a tough series for any opposing team to get through if the Attack even get average goal tending. They can keep up with any team scoring goals and better most.

London also shouldn't be taken lightly and they have a really good goalie. It's going to be exciting that is for sure.

I agree with all of that.

Dale DeGray has sent an eighth-round pick in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection for the 19-year-old goaltender. The 67’s will receive a third-round selection in 2021 if Lafreniere plays an over-age season.

A third-round pick would be a small price to pay if he plays well enough to warrant the over-age season,” said DeGray.

r?

Forgot about that. That's not a good investment that's for sure. Guzda will have enough experience IMO. I think Guzda has earned the Saturday start against Saginaw, throw OL to the hounds Sunday.

Reactions: HLLYWD99

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I think Guzda has earned the Saturday start against Saginaw, throw OL to the hounds Sunday.
I agree about Guzda earning the start vs. Saginaw tonight. And yeah, let's see how Oli rebounds vs. the Soo tomorrow.

I wouldn't mind seeing the two G's split the remaining 5 games. Let the better one down the stretch start the playoffs. Both Oli and Guzda have zero OHL playoff experience, so why not just go with the hotter goalie. Maybe start Guzda vs. Saginaw, Flint, and Sarnia. Oli starts vs. Soo and Windsor (alternating starts). Something like that anyway.

Another strategy could be to just go with Guzda at this point. He's a rookie who is showing great promise, and he has the opportunity to gain valuable playoff experience as a 16 year old. So give him this opportunity to help him develop into a special player.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Greg Cowan made an intersting point on twitter suggesting to play Lafreniere today to try and build his confidence after letting 15 goals in the last 2.25 games and being yanked twice and if it doesn't go well give Guzda the start against the big dawg hounds tomorrow get him ready for some potential tough opponents in the playoffs. I actually dont mind the idea Saginaw has only won 3 in the last 10 so what harm can it do.

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
If we waive or trade OL and he ends up playing even a game in a league next year do we have to pay up the 3rd round pick?

Maybe we play the you win your in method with the goalies. Guzda won in Sarnia so start in Saginaw. If he wins keep him going. But for that to work coach needs to tell them that's the deal.

bear6

Feb 20, 2015
I wouldn't take any team lightly inn the playoffs

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Mack Guzda first OHL shutout , and league leading 14th win for a rookie tender.

He's won 7 of his last nine games.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Good for Guz to get his shutout against the Spirit and for Suzuki to get his 100th pint in the OHL.

Now it's time to put today in the rearview mirror and prepare for a tougher and more dominant opponent in the Soo Greyhounds. With key games remaining on schedule and with a guarantee that will meet the London Knights in round one this team has to prepare for the long haul postseason push and not get strayed from the path if they have any chance of making some noise against the Knights in round one who will most likely be the matchup

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Suzuki 100th goal.

Granted it was against a weaker opponent but I thought #4 had a good game. He made some nice first passes and was able to shut down on the backend.

Bourque with a blast off the post. So close.

Guzda faces 16 shots for the shut out. I am torn as to starting him today. It could be good, it could be bad.

TO Attack Fan

Mar 4, 2018
The Saginaw radio crew broadcasting the game last night admitted that the Spirit could not keep up with the Attack's speed. They idly chit-chatted in the third period about the Sting mounting a comeback when they were down 4-0.

Todd Gill quoted in today's Owen Sound Sun-Times says Guzda starts today against the Greyhounds. Back to back shutouts anyone?

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Sting fan back again... just glancing at the ohl scoreboard - 4-2 for you guys after 2. I said it before and I’ll say it again; glad we wouldn’t see your team until 3rd round if all goes well. Can be scary good if you can keep the puck out of your net.
Goofy thought- do you bring in Guzda as your “closer” in the 3rd??

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Tough game today against the Soo certainly went the distance between the clubs.

Good for OL to get the monkey off his back with a shootout win over the Soo, certainly make the Hounds start to scratch there heads if the Attack and Hounds meet again in the playoffs

Reactions: nelli27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad