Owen Sound Attack 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
We won't get past London with our goaltending. average goaltending will not cut it.

Correct. The Knights can get great performance out of Raaymakers, and they've got some young guns who don't quit .

The Attack have two weeks to pull up their collective defensive socks, or better get booking some tee times.

Getting Durzi back would go a long way to improving the defence.

Playing with 4-1/2 dmen for the last month is taking its toll.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Never before now in the history of hockey has goaltending relied more on team defense; the crackdown on obstruction, slashing and cross checking has allowed players to skate to the net with speed, time and space. Goaltending will catch up but it will take time.

OSattackfan

Jan 13, 2018
That was cool seeing the Memorial cup in the OS rink, but it'll be the only time we see it . That was a brutal game and embarrassing on national tv.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Not the best showing on national tv yesturday hopefully the team can pick up there socks and close out the weekend with a better effort today in Sarnia.

This team has certainly been good of late in the past few weeks unfortunately yesterdays game had a lot of defensive miscues in key points for both Attack and Storm clubs unfortunately the breaks went the Storm's way on one too many of them.

Looking for a better effort today in Sarnia should be the goal of the club and hopefully close the weekend out on a high note standings wise

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
It would have been nice to see someone step up and show that this Attack team is not a bunch of push-overs. I don't think there was a single body check thrown yesterday against a team that was winless in 8 games.
At 4-2 before the end of the first period I can't believe one of the older guys on this team didn't do something to say "you aren't going to embarrass us in our own building on national TV"... to just go out on the ice and do nothing shows a lot about the character on this team.
I've mentioned it in the past, come on coach it's time to "coach", show us some creativity and some emotion!!

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I find the local headlines misleading. "Storm sweep Attack away" as per the team's webpage, "Storm shock Attack" as per the Sun Times. The Storm did nothing to win that game. It was handed to them on a silver platter. Gill acknowledged as much in his ST interview.

Lost the first period 4-2, lost the second 3-1, lost the 3rd 1-0. There wasn't a period of hockey that the team won. A full 60-minute stinker, on national TV to boot.

Oli posts his first career shutout in Erie two days before, then the next game doesn't last into the 2nd. Shades of ZB in that 1st period. This is the reality of the goaltending situation that management has given this team. Wildly inconsistent. Nevermind posting 0.900+ numbers, if the goaltending can't consistently post in the 0.870 or 0.880 range, we're looking at one round of playoff hockey. Not looking for career-best numbers in the post-season, the goalies just need to be consistent within their capabilities and the team will have to rely on its offence to win.

One amazing thing about this team over the past month and a half is that they have not lost consecutive games. Since the dreaded northern road trip in mid-January, it's been 3 wins, 1 loss, 6 wins, 1 loss, 6 wins, 1 loss, 1 win, now 1 loss yesterday. So we'll see how the team responds today in Sarnia. But that ability to avoid consecutive losses is what it takes to win playoff rounds.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Once again the Attack cough up a 3 goal shutout lead .

Going to overtime.

I don't think someone can perform under pressure.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Another 3rd period blown lead. At least the team picked up a point. But this pattern of blown leads in the last half of the game needs to end.

If DD couldn't acquire a G, the piece the team needed at the deadline was a minute-eating, shutdown-type defensemen. Not 2 depth forwards. The team's biggest strength all season has been the forward group. No need to strengthen our best strength even more. I have nothing against McKenzie or Robinson, they're just not what the team needed at the deadline.

Give Guzda some games, please.

Gonna be a long bus ride back home.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Wow, the team plays a very good 2 periods and once again we see the shortened bench bite us in the butt.
If I was Marcus Phillips I would be fuming. This guy gives everything he has every shift and this coach constantly keeps putting Bourque and Friend out there after glaring mistake after mistake. Does Gill go over video with the players? If he does he should be embarrassed after watching #17 and #2 and watching how they are out on the ice the whole game for no good reason. Someone should tell #17 the "electric slide" is a dance move not a defensive play. If he's afraid to sit them because of poor decisions and poor play then he isn't doing what's best for the team. There are other guys sitting on the bench that might just perform better but we will never see it.
Out coached once again!!!

Last edited:

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Sting guy here who was at the game. Those goals were not lefreniere’s fault. Your D got hemmed in for a good chunk of the period and gave up tons of good opportunities.
I’m really pulling for your guys to keep it going. I’m counting on them to kick London out of the playoffs and home ice would help. It doesn’t look like you would have the tiebreaker though
Also hope that the tape of the guy hammering Kyrou late in the 1st doesn’t get reviewed. Our Hatcher just back from 5 off for same hit.
You got a point and every one counts

TO Attack Fan

Mar 4, 2018
OK, here is where we stand. Two points back of the Knights now with two tough opponents - Barrie and Soo - on the horizon. Just 1 win in past 4 games and that was vs. a non-playoff contender. The battlefield for 4th is starting to tilt against us. Should be an interesting last few weeks.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Sting guy here who was at the game. Those goals were not lefreniere’s fault. Your D got hemmed in for a good chunk of the period and gave up tons of good opportunities.
I saw the game on TV. I think the 3rd period collapse--this game's and the others we've had over the past while--owes to three things (no particular order):

1) Lack of adjustments from behind the bench to counter the Sting's attack in the 3rd, hence why the D were "hemmed in" our zone as you mentioned. In my opinion, this has been an issue for this team for much/all of the season.
2) Lack of timely saves. I think you're right that the goals weren't necessarily Lafreniere's fault, but a timely save on even one of those goals could/would have changed the outcome. I think most here would say this has been an ongoing issue for this team this season.
3) Lack of attention to the defense corps at the trade deadline, hence the thin D squad right now with Durzi out with injury and the rookie (Chibrikov) barely seeing the ice. I suspect fatigue begins to set in by the 3rd, perhaps another reason why the D spent a lot of time in our zone as you mentioned.

I’m really pulling for your guys to keep it going. I’m counting on them to kick London out of the playoffs and home ice would help. It doesn’t look like you would have the tiebreaker though
Thanks! Here's hoping the same!

Reactions: OSMike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad