Owen Sound Attack 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Another 3rd period collapse. PP can't get a goal. This wasn't the game I thought they would lose this weekend. Here's hoping Durzi is back soon.

dabears14

Jan 11, 2018
Extremely disappointing leaving Ottawa without at least one point after controlling much of that hockey game. The absence of Durzi was really evident here especially on the powerplay, as our defence could not help generate many quality scoring chances. Gotta give credit to Tremblay for a fantastic game, made some big saves when it mattered. Chmelevski really exposed friend on that last goal taking advantage of his slow foot speed. Lafreniere seemed to be exposed up high today. Big home game Wednesday vs London.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
After watching this game vs Ottawa I have a question that might be a problem that has plagued this team for a while now. "Why is it that the coach only relies on his 5-6 top players to win every game"?
We are lucky that their raw talent can carry the team most nights for portions of the game but how does this coach expect them to play at their top level every shift when they are being over used? Some of us have been constantly asking the question "why is this team coughing up third period leads"? Well, the main reason has been quite evident, and that is that these players are running out of gas, plain and simple!
Yesterday's game could very well be the clearest example of this. After playing 2 games in 3 days, we had a chance to complete a 3 for 3 weekend with a solid effort in Ottawa. Things started off well for sure after building a 3-0 lead. Now let's remember, the day before Ottawa played with a short bench vs Oshawa so they may have been running on fumes for the second half of this game yesterday but instead it was the Attack that were running on fumes. So instead of settling in and running our lines, getting the most out of our bottom 6 forwards and our 4-6 Dmen (who were well rested) the coach kept going to the top 2 lines and Friend/Bourque D pairing over and over and over. I get that every game is important and we need to win as many games as we can to attempt to climb in the standings but after playing these top players so much game in and game out (double shifting, powerplay and penalty kill) just how much energy will they have left in the tank come playoff time anyway? IMO, we will get more from a little bit rested Suzuki, Hancock or Dudas etc instead of them being dog tired half way through each game. With more confidence shown by our coach to the bottom half of the roster would probably go a long way in these players confidence/development heading down the stretch and towards the playoffs as well. And it looks like Guzda had his run and is now planted on the bench to boot? Just my thoughts...

Last edited:

OSattackfan

Jan 13, 2018
Explain to us why the coach didn't pull the goalie with 3 minutes left in game and on powerplay in the opponents end?????????
Why didn't he call a time out when the game became tied?????

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
For what it's worth, from this Internet bozo.

The Attack PP since Jan 1 has been clipping along at 16%, worst in the league. The league average is 21%. Which coincidentally is what the Attack have surrendered.

9 of 18 games they failed to capitalize on 31 chances.

The last pp goal they scored Jan 20.

Whatever they are doing (five foreards) isn't working .

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
1 for 3 W's on the weekend is something that should be concerning to this coach at this point especially when your team leads 2 out of the 3 game set and hangs on for the only win.

Not preaching to the choir or anything but this poster seemed to recall a point from earlier on in the season that Gill methods were of an old chapter in this league and that was mentioned that this sort of wheel falling off the bus method of late would be seen throughout the season as the team progressed forward.

As fans we sometimes forget that these kids are still kids and can stray off the path at times but when the path leads to confussion and lack of successful results then the big concern is that is the coach lost or is has he failed to put expectations on the team as a whole but instead pick out his favourites as coaching era's before him did.

Hopefully the weekend was a blip on the season and the momentum and drive propells the team to dig deeper and continue forward into Wednesday against the always difficlt London Knights

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
They won 2 out of 3 on the weekend and 6 in a row before blowing a big lead in Ottawa....I'm sure it was a long bus ride home from Ottawa after the game....Big game Wed. see if they can stick to the game plan.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
1 for 3 W's on the weekend is something that should be concerning to this coach at this point especially when your team leads 2 out of the 3 game set and hangs on for the only win.

Not preaching to the choir or anything but this poster seemed to recall a point from earlier on in the season that Gill methods were of an old chapter in this league and that was mentioned that this sort of wheel falling off the bus method of late would be seen throughout the season as the team progressed forward.

As fans we sometimes forget that these kids are still kids and can stray off the path at times but when the path leads to confussion and lack of successful results then the big concern is that is the coach lost or is has he failed to put expectations on the team as a whole but instead pick out his favourites as coaching era's before him did.

Hopefully the weekend was a blip on the season and the momentum and drive propells the team to dig deeper and continue forward into Wednesday against the always difficlt London Knights

Atk snd, gotta stop smoking that wacky tabacy and pay more attention to Bearadio!
They won in Peterborough Thursday, and again in Kingston Friday in OT.

Quit talking to the girlfriend during Attack games! :)

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
As an outsider here.. I think the scariest team right now in the West is the Attack. I think they are really going to make things interesting down the final stretch. Cheers for sticking with it all season!

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
As an outsider here.. I think the scariest team right now in the West is the Attack. I think they are really going to make things interesting down the final stretch. Cheers for sticking with it all season!

If the Attack can play the way that has proven to be successful climbing the standings into a 4th or 5th spot is not out of reach coming down the stretch as the team inches closer to playoff seeding.

If the team can put themselves into a number 7 seed in round one then it's possible the team could surprise a team like Kitchener and get into the 2nd round and trying to avoid teams like the Soo and Sarnia early would give the team a good chance of making some noise and getting some of the younger code of future talent some much-needed post-season experience this year.

Let the race to the playoffs begin

Reactions: OHLfan200

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
There is no doubt the Attack are trying to reach the 4-5 playoff series.
That would be the best chance to advance through the first round IMO. (missing #1 Soo / #2 Kitchener / #3 Sarnia)
Even after a nice run of 10-11 games, I am seriously doubting though that this team can play the remaining 16 + games at "full speed" running primarily with 6 forwards/4 dmen/1 goalie. This has proven to be our downfall for a number of games that were very "winnable" with third period leads only to see them evaporate into losses.
Coach Gill may have to find a better way to work his bench, utilize his players and counteract what the opposition does instead of just cutting the bench to 10 players. There were a good number of games this season that we watched our 3'rd and 4'th lines out work and out hustle the other teams 3'rd and 4'th lines.
And we've all watched Cameron on D get to the next level recently because of the confidence in his game when given the chance to play more!
We've also watched our 01 goalie, Guzda develop into quite the young "stud" in net with the opportunity to play regularly a month back!
Maybe this is the time to see what a full bench/all healthy roster can do?
Go Attack Go

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Gills bench management is similar to Greg Ireland.

Nastaziuk played so much he hardly had enough energy to skate back to the bench, same with Bigras.

Reeds on the other hand played his entire lineup, and 16 yr old Jerrod Maidens scored the championship goal in overtime.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The Attack played hard in the 3rd to secure the win .
Nice seeing some secondary scoring tonight by Lyle and Marcus Phillips. Lots of contributions by the blue line .
Hope this convinces Gill to use the pivots on the anemic PP.

Reactions: Noofgoof

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
The Attack played hard in the 3rd to secure the win .
Nice seeing some secondary scoring tonight by Lyle and Marcus Phillips. Lots of contributions by the blue line .
Hope this convinces Gill to use the pivots on the anemic PP.

Pretty sure Lyle has been playing on the point of the first unit for the last few games. Phillips on the 2nd.

Gill rolled 4 lines pretty consistently last night. I was surprised that McKenzie was on the 4th line. But they had a regular shift. Maybe that was the idea

Glad Guzda got the start and he played well.

Caught no breaks from the teams we are battling but 5th place is a nice spot to be right now.

Hear that Durzi is back skating.

Lazer is finally living up to the cost we paid. He's working well on the top line.

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
I hope Lazer stays on the top line when Gadj gets back. Put Jonah with McLean and Robinson and you would have a brute of a third line that would be tough to contain.

Reactions: Noofgoof and OSMike

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I hope Lazer stays on the top line when Gadj gets back. Put Jonah with McLean and Robinson and you would have a brute of a third line that would be tough to contain.

Yes, coming down the stretch, with the lines playing well together, tough to mixthem up.

12, 21 and 25 would be a whole lot of muscle that no one wants to play against, would give the team three effective lines.

Reactions: Noofgoof and OSMike

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Good start to the weekend in St. Catherines, with a few close calls last night in the 2nd but good to see Guzda get the start and the win.

Lyle and Bourque have certainly picked up there offensive game of late and has given a different look on the blueline on the powerplay having 2 defenders put pucks in nets.

Hopefully Gill leaves the blueline as is for the time being on special teams if there producing points on a regular basis.

I'd expect OL to get the nod against his old club once again after having a rough weekend on the East swing

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Messy but effective win. There was a 5 forward PP unit out last night as the first unit, but I think this is new with Groulx playing net front. I am so waiting for the Bourque goal, it's consumed my watching of the game, every shot, every EN I think is this it. Man is that going to be one celebration.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Messy but effective win. There was a 5 forward PP unit out last night as the first unit, but I think this is new with Groulx playing net front. I am so waiting for the Bourque goal, it's consumed my watching of the game, every shot, every EN I think is this it. Man is that going to be one celebration.

Still no fan of the 5 F PP.

Lazer getting hot at the right time, Mac 12 looking good, Lyle as well. Olie winning games. Robinson solid.

Dale DeGray is really making all us Internet GM's look like fools.

And I'm totally ok with that, I'll wear the goat horns in exchange for 9-1 .

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Still no fan of the 5 F PP.

Lazer getting hot at the right time, Mac 12 looking good, Lyle as well. Olie winning games. Robinson solid.

Dale DeGray is really making all us Internet GM's look like fools.

And I'm totally ok with that, I'll wear the goat horns in exchange for 9-1 .
12 outa 14 since the dreadful trip north.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad