Owen Sound Attack 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
I'm thinking DD will feel this team is treading in the right direction, even after the horrendous stretch before the break. For certain he is hoping that Lafreniere can steer this ship forward. In doing so I can see 2 moves being made before the trade deadline.
1. An OA forward. Perhaps - Korostelev/Petes or Corneil/Niagara or McKenzie/North Bay.
2. Steady/puck moving Dman. Perhaps - Candella/Wolves or Sambrook/Erie or Moverare/Miss.
I don't think that making moves for any of these players would "break the bank" for players and/or assets going the other way.

Just my $ .02

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
You wrote it - hopefully you can explain it.:x):
My quote explains my opinion well enough, and anyone who reads the Attack thread will know that I've explained this view of mine (i.e., that goaltending isn't the team's biggest problem) at length several times already. I'm asking the people who think I'm not 'seeing things clearly' about this to explain why they think my reasoning (i.e., 6-1-0-2 start, followed by a month of 0.500 hockey, followed by a 1 W in 8 game slide before Lafreniere = gradual decline in winning games despite consistent goaltending numbers from Bowman/Guzda all season long) is wrong. And the fact that the slide has continued to 1 W in 10 games, even with a new goalie who put up well better than the .900 save % that many people on here thought was needed, just emphasizes my point that goaltending is not the team's biggest challenge.

Last edited:

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
My quote explains my opinion well enough, and anyone who reads the Attack thread will know that I've explained this view of mine (i.e., that goaltending isn't the team's biggest problem) at length several times already. I'm asking the people who think I'm not 'seeing things clearly' about this to explain why they think my reasoning (i.e., 6-1-0-2 start, followed by a month of 0.500 hockey, followed by a 1 W in 8 game slide before Lafreniere = gradual decline in winning games despite consistent goaltending numbers from Bowman/Guzda all season long) is wrong. And the fact that the slide has continued to 1 W in 10 games, even with a new goalie who put up well better than the .900 save % that many people on here thought was needed, just emphasizes my point that goaltending is not the team's biggest challenge.

A few reasons. Early season opponent quality, lack of scouting reports by these opponents on the Attack's tendencies, inability for secondary scorers / coaching to adjust once teams had scouting information on Attack tendencies. Even after the first 10 games the Attack were scoring 3-4 goals a game, with a solid goalie many could have been wins rather than losses.

Lack of secondary scoring is definitely a contributing factor but as with most I agree that it is not the primary issue and that goaltending was.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
A few reasons. Early season opponent quality, lack of scouting reports by these opponents on the Attack's tendencies, inability for secondary scorers / coaching to adjust once teams had scouting information on Attack tendencies. Even after the first 10 games the Attack were scoring 3-4 goals a game, with a solid goalie many could have been wins rather than losses.
Yeah, these things you mention could very well be. I do agree with you about the part I bolded. In most of the recent losses, the team has been right there in the game; it's not like the team is getting blown out. And I just feel that an adjustment here or there coming from behind the bench would be the difference in turning some of those L's into W's (for example, a PP adjustment to break the Fronts/Knights tight box formation on the PK this past weekend).

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Yeah, these things you mention could very well be. I do agree with you about the part I bolded. In most of the recent losses, the team has been right there in the game; it's not like the team is getting blown out. And I just feel that an adjustment here or there coming from behind the bench would be the difference in turning some of those L's into W's (for example, a PP adjustment to break the Fronts/Knights tight box formation on the PK this past weekend).

Adjustments in game as the situation changes is key. But I want to be clear that I am not putting this squarely on Coach Gill (or the other coaches) as others have suggested. Everyone plays a part in recognizing the situation (in hockey IQ - situational awaremess) then executing the new strategy. The top line has this situational awareness but our secondary squads sometimes lack it. Coach Reeds I believe once said and I paraphrase, in the pros you have to tell a guy something 100 times, in junior you have to tell the kids 1,000 times. Coaching staff needs to improve their ability to recognize and COMMUNICATE in game changes but we can't think that they not doing anything, the players bare responsibility as well in recognition and EXECUTION.

Interesting about your PP adjustment point, I can't recall what recent game but the PP executed a diagonal pass from the point to the opposite faceoff circle for a goal. It was one of the only times I have seen this done this year. That is an example of recognition and execution, rather than simply executing the same thing. We need more of that from the 2nd units.

Reactions: Noofgoof

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Looking back on the stretch of games from the point where Bowman departed, the Attack held leads in every single game, except the last one against London, the 1-0 loss.

Many of these games , the Attack lead by two or even 3 goals, and in all but one game, the collapse happened in disastrous fashion, with the team surrendering three and four goals in a row.

So my opinion is not a lack of scoring, period, from anywhere in the lineup.

The deficiency is the inability to protect a lead.
In five of those games, the team scored four or five goals, and won once.
In the other five games, they scored three or less and won once.

As far as lack of secondary scoring in the slump, primary scorers-Suzuki, Gadjovich, Sushko, Dudas and Zippy (Who's been playing first line for a few weeks ), have scored 16 times. Durzi added two.

Secondary scorers- Campbell, Friend, Groulx, Struthers, Russell, Laczyrchuk (one could argue he SHOULD be a primary scorer), Phillips have added 9 more.

I'm not sure what percentage of primary vs secondary scoring one should reasonable expect, but I'd suggest this mix is about what it should be.

Last edited:

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
And in many of those comeback losses, the goals that got the other team back into it were weak ones. Therefore, are we back to goaltending being the root problem? Hopefully Ollie will answer that question if the goal scoring returns to the normal level.

Reactions: Noofgoof

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I suppose you can decide that. The two Lefrenniere games, we're two of the best defensive played games this season, unfortunately the other guys played a little better on their side of the puck.

London is great at collapsing down low to protect their goalie. They block every shooting lane . They are willing to do it.
The Attack have a few who block shots, unfortunately for them it's cost the team thru injuries.

No way I'd have my top 3 point producers out killing penalties blocking shots .
There plenty of role players who could excel at that.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I'm thinking DD will feel this team is treading in the right direction, even after the horrendous stretch before the break. For certain he is hoping that Lafreniere can steer this ship forward. In doing so I can see 2 moves being made before the trade deadline.
1. An OA forward. Perhaps - Korostelev/Petes or Corneil/Niagara or McKenzie/North Bay.
2. Steady/puck moving Dman. Perhaps - Candella/Wolves or Sambrook/Erie or Moverare/Miss.
I don't think that making moves for any of these players would "break the bank" for players and/or assets going the other way.

Just my $ .02
No way Petes deal Korostelev, Niagara won't sell either and Candella almost certainly isn't going anywhere since there is a good possibility he could be an OA.
I understand teams can't throw in the towel but the Soo is all but a lock in my mind barring something unexpected perhaps like key injuries.
Funny when the Wolves played the Attack earlier in the season they had just got Gadjovich back and looked about as dominant offensively as any team I'd seen. Not sure what happened, though I know goaltending has been an issue.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
We all know that the Soo is at the top looking down for sure and will probably add to their strong team before the deadline . #1 seed
Also Sarnia will certainly try to add to their strong team. #3 seed
After that I think the Western Conference playoff spots are up for grabs, even the #2 seed team from the Midwest Division.
We still need to remember that there will be 8 teams that make the playoffs giving at least two home gates for added revenue, possibly more.
4 strong enough teams that win the first round of the playoffs will then add at least another two home gates revenue to their bottom-line, possibly more.
So let's not raise the white flag to suggest every other team has no shot at advancing through the playoffs.
A truly small market team like OS can/would certainly welcome the added revenue of a 2'nd round playoff matchup against one of those top teams and let the chips fall where they may...
So we should hope that DD will try to land a player or two to aid the chances of the above scenario playing out for the Attack and their loyal fans.

Reactions: dirty12

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
We all know that the Soo is at the top looking down for sure and will probably add to their strong team before the deadline . #1 seed
Also Sarnia will certainly try to add to their strong team. #3 seed
After that I think the Western Conference playoff spots are up for grabs, even the #2 seed team from the Midwest Division.
We still need to remember that there will be 8 teams that make the playoffs giving at least two home gates for added revenue, possibly more.
4 strong enough teams that win the first round of the playoffs will then add at least another two home gates revenue to their bottom-line, possibly more.
So let's not raise the white flag to suggest every other team has no shot at advancing through the playoffs.
A truly small market team like OS can/would certainly welcome the added revenue of a 2'nd round playoff matchup against one of those top teams and let the chips fall where they may...
So we should hope that DD will try to land a player or two to aid the chances of the above scenario playing out for the Attack and their loyal fans.

At this point in time the standings are what they are, as a long time jr. hockey fan of a small market club sometimes we the fans magnify the flaws and try too much to be DD when we look at the club as a whole.

Size of market really is an apples to oranges look on everything as especially when comparing to clubs with bigger payrolls around the league Owen Sound is the textbook small market franchise club.

When it comes to success of a (or) any club in the league we all aspire to see are club achieve championship status each and every year with the small faint knowledge that success is measured in inches and seconds throughout the year. The matchups on the other hand are more hope-filled luck then actual seeding in the playoffs as we the fans have seen in the past few playoffs.

Aiding chances for winning tight games is something that can't be changed by DD adding a player but is something that has to be addressed in the dressing room and by the coach continuing motivating the players forward.

Hopefully the holiday break can assist the club by giving them a much needed break before returning for the second half rested and motivated to go for the second half ready to go

Reactions: Millpond

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Happy Holidays to all the HF OHL posters!

Hope you get to enjoy the WJC , and see your favorite players participate. And hopefully a few 'seasonal' junior hockey fans will keep watching after the tournament is over.

Best Wishes for your club team in the New Year. Lots of great junior hockey to come !

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Officially on board with selling.

Even with a full line up, this team isn't getting passed Soo, Kitchener and probably London.

This was a bad game to not get up for.

Fresh off the break, rival team, sold out building, playing a team that we are chasing.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Keep in mind you are without Gadjovich, Sushko and Hancock. It would be a different game with them in it.

Doubtful at this point.

Team has 4 wins since like November 12th. All those players where kicking around here. Issues tonight stemmed back then, only difference is they would show up for at least a period.

OSMIKE- Sorry I wasn't at the game. Wife is due any day now so I've sold off my seats and we are heading home after the arrival. I did watch online. Was a shame that they played like this with the crowd they got. And I'm not going to lay a ton of blame on the players. Very few played like they wanted to be here today. Todd Gill needs to take a lot of it.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Where is the "push back"? Where is the emotion? Where is the second effort? What is the "give a crap" meter at? ZERO!!!
Come on, really, is that the effort that was needed after the break? So disappointing!
2 - 20 year olds / 9 - 19 year olds -- for what?(I know, minus Gadjovich and Handcock)
These are the guys that have to lead the way, set the tone, set the example out there...
They surely can't just throw their jerseys on and go play "shinny" for 3 periods!!!
These guys have to do something of substance on that ice, not just skate around, look tired and pretend to want to get involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad